Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Rear Hatch lock not locking, how I fixed it.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hatch lock not locking, how I fixed it.

This past weekend I was washing my x-fire, popped the hatch the alarm went off, noticed the doors were locked though. I had recently heard a hissing/air sound when I shut the engine off from the rear but did not have a clue what it was but once I seen the latch on the hatch not locking, the light bulb came on! I came straight here and did a search and found its a pneumatic lock found the TSB and even gave it (number) to my dealer who in turn drug his feet for two days and said he could find nothing. I went down there and showed him how on his pc, no crap. The Chrysler kit was 35 bucks, don't know what is all in it but I fixed it for less than 10.00 and did not need their high dollar labor. The hose came from Advance Auto, 5.95 and the two quick disconnects came from my work but McMaster Carr industrial supply has them for about 2 bucks each. Anyway, the leak was in the flexable grommet tube that connects the electrical and the yellow hose from the hatch to the lower body. The hose was torn right in half so I used the same outside diameter with a vaccum type tubing that is stronger. If anyone has this proble or needs some how to's let me know. Have a good one! MIKE

Leak1.JPG

Leak3-location.JPG

Leak2-connect1.JPG

Leak-connect2.JPG

Leak-hose.JPG

Old 06-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rear Hatch lock not locking, how I fixed it.

Good info to know. Thanks for the pics.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:19 PM

Hi,
Do you know what caused the hose to break?

Old 06-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Forum Regular

Good write up!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:48 PM

awsome having the same problem never got around to looking into more. thanks for the info. much appreciated

Old 06-05-2008, 05:55 PM

My dealer charged me $225 to fix the rear hatch lock..... Good thing I got the warrenty.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:47 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the how to. Mine did the same thing about a year ago. I had the dealer fix it. My understanding is the lines can break just about anywhere along the "circuit". I have not heard what causes it but thanks for the how to.
Pat

Old 06-06-2008, 08:49 AM

I think what causes this in where mine came apart is the flexing inside of the grommet tube from the hatch to the body. That type of tubing cannot handle that. I used a stiff wall type used for vac lines on emmissons so hopefully it will hold up. They must be idiots for making it pnuematic over electric. Electric setups are much more reliable and have been for years but at least I know I can fix it myself now. The only thing scary is pulling the panels hoping they don't break. Anyway, hope this helped. I know this site has some very useful information, I am on a Harley site for vrod owners as well and it helps a lot. Mike

Old 06-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Cool Re: Rear Hatch lock not locking, how I fixed it.

I have a Black 04 Coupe (Limited version yet not identified as such in 04) Purchased as new in early 2006. Last week I experience the same and my dealer fixed it under the warranty. I also had the dealer address the issue of a loose reflective disk on my fog light and a very slight haziness in the upper corner of my headlight (Smaller than a penny). The dealer replaced both fog lights assemblies with a design change and replaced both headlight assemblies with new ones. Again these were all under warrantly. Plus the washed and vacuumed the car prior to releasing it back to me.
Swimdad

Old 06-08-2008, 08:45 AM

You were lucky the hose broke in the unlocked position. I heard of a guy that had his hose break in the locked position. Can you imagine trying to fix that? How would you even get it open without breaking stuff?

There are a lot of dumb designs on this car. Like they trying to build with the best 1970's technology they could find.

Pneumatic locks and recirculating ball steering makes no sense.

Last edited by klamathpro; 06-08-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:52 PM

Ooo, great info!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 PM

Had the same issue, could hear the air everytime I locked the car. I found the air leak inside the rubber between the hatch and the car body, located in the top right when you lift the hatch. I took apart the interior but it was not necessary when I located the leak. Just needed to open the hatch and pull down the top part of the rubber. A small piece of tubing was found in my garage and was just pushed onto each side of the broken yellow tubing. A couple of cable ties were also used.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:13 PM

Finally after many cruse words and a few sliced fingers. I found my house split right in the rubber elbow of the top right corner of the hatchback....of all the worse places. After about Hour and a half I had my hatchback unlocking and locking. Now onto fixing the false no code alarm that goes off when ever it feels like it.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

welcome aboard....fixing the car yourself is rewarding and good on the wallet....

Old 11-19-2014, 07:35 PM

Thank you, It's really exciting for this to be my first car I own and to be able to look up and see everything you guys do and the photos, it makes it very rewarding to know how to fix problems and save up money for the mods to make it my own.