Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

what to look for in a used xfire

Old 06-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What To Check For In My Used 2004 Coupe Crossfire To Fix

what kind of stuff should i check with my used xfire? i know about the rust in the bottom of the door but what else should i check for?

Last edited by pawntec; 06-25-2008 at 12:00 AM. Reason: better title for better help with thread
Old 06-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: what to look for in a used xfire

Test all the controls. Heated seats often fail per this forum. Check convertible top up/down movement if a roadster. Look for curb rash on rims. Check for fog or condensation in the headlights. Listen for trunk door rattles if a coupe. Look for a clean engine compartment - IMHO the sign of someone who cared for the vehicle.

Generally this is a very quiet and solid car, so any squeaks, rattles would be cause for further investigation.

Borrow it overnight (if dealer), run it for a while, then park it on newspaper in your garage and look for drips. Find a lonely smooth road, run it up to 55-60, take your hands off the wheel and stomp the brakes. It should stop dead straight.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Forum Regular

1: Check the foglights (if Limited or SRT) to see if the sliver trim cap is broken off. If the cap is missing entirely the unit has been fixed for you; then you should check to see that both foglights are the same style.

2: Check to see if all the manuals and navigation CDs are present if equipped with nav.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a pretty good list. but when you say your used crossfire. are you saying you already bought it?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Question Re: what to look for in a used xfire

yeah i've already bought a 2004 coupe 6 speed with a 6 year warranty so i'm covering all the base's to get all what needs to be fixed while i've got the warranty. i'm in alaska so i'm not sure if it's seen many winters or not. it was about to break 24k miles when i got the xfire back in may. i've checked the weather stripping in the doors and it's got a little rust already started but not to much. and about the fog lights, there are different type of fog lights? the heated seats (both) work. the wheels are defiantly curb checked(i've already got a alignment done which rides straight when the road allows it, but haven't done the break check but seems it does as long the extremely rutted roads allow it). IMHO? it seems like the lady(one owner only per car fax with a clean record) that owned the xfire before me smoked which sucks and also i heard from the Chrysler mechanic (from when i had the realignment done) said the lady blew the clutch last year and she drove it like ****. i'll take way better care of this xfire then the first owner. the engine bay was clean of course the dealer cleaned it any ways. it doesn't squeak or rattle. for the first month i had the xfire alignment was all facked up so i got it straighten and still kind of pulled but once i found a good straight patch of road that i could cruz at 40+ it was straight as an arrow. i'm not to sure if it leaks any fluids or not since i've picked it up. when i first picked up the xfire after it warms up and i'm a little bit hard on it(racing i call it) the high oil level light comes on. i'd checked the oil level was at less a half inch over the full mark. so i had it changed asap. is there anything else i should be checking with my xfire? the head/fog lights don't have any moisture build up in the housing since it’s been raining here off and on the past few weeks

Last edited by pawntec; 06-25-2008 at 12:03 AM.