Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Getting towed

Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting towed

Today my dad and I called for a tow truck for his mustang gt. When the flatbed arrived and hooked up to pull the car onto the bed, the front hook bent the front bumper and left a dent the size of a quarter underneath the bumper. If I ever need to get my crossfire towed, do i have to remove the front plate in the bumper?....or should they pull it up from the rear?...either way is it going to drag on the ground?....the only reason I ask is because on the mustang it was about 1 inch from dragging the exhaust on the ground......btw after the tow truck pulled back onto the highway (going 50-55mph), a ford focus slammed into the back of the tow truck...thankfully no one was hurt and the mustang was fine too.....the ford focus is totaled, and the tow truck lost all of its hydraulics...

Old 07-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Getting towed

consult the manual it tells you how to do it properly on a flatbed. I think the angle of the bed has to be 10 degrees to the ground.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 PM
ADDICTED TO BOOST

I had my Crossfire towed once on the flat bet type truck with no issues.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had mine flatbedded once, just have them pull it up from behind, and there should be no problems.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:45 AM

After setting for two years the battery wouldn't hold a charge if I let it set for a week os so. The dealer sent a flatbed that towed it by pulling the back on first. I'v even seen a mustang on a flat bed and it was on the same way - back in first.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:37 AM

My car was loaded face first. No problems. If the car had been lowered I would think butt first might be a good idea.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tom1957BigT
...If I ever need to get my crossfire towed, do i have to remove the front plate in the bumper?....or should they pull it up from the rear?...either way is it going to drag on the ground?.......
Sounds like the operator of the tow truck didn't observe the rules of towing. Bumpers almost never were strong enough to be used as a tow point! Seems like that damage should be covered by the tow operators insurance - but you could be out of luck if the paper that was signed released them from responsibility or you can't prove (with before and after pictures) that they did it... Towing is very risky.

The advice to read the manual is good advice. The next piece of advice is to make sure to insist repeatedly that is how the tow operator does the recovery. If the operator gives you lip and appears to be ignoring instructions - remember - it's YOUR car and YOU are paying HIM. Just tell them to stop, call another company and don't move the car until they do it right. You may end up with one more person in the world thinking you're an a$$ but compared to standing there and letting them ruin my car for nothing, I will take the hit for a$$holiness.

Did I tell you about the time I had this going on with my Jaguar E-Type? The long story short is I stopped them, unloaded the car myself and called another company. The first guy was majorly pissed but like I said, it was my car and long after he was gone with his big meat hook, I would have to live with whatever he did...

Sorry for the rant.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle_Al
My car was loaded face first. No problems. If the car had been lowered I would think butt first might be a good idea.
did you have to remove your front access plate or did they just grab it from underneath?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tom1957BigT
did you have to remove ...
I was stuck on a bridge on the busiest truck route through Chicago. There was no time to remove anything. They just tilted the bed, hooked it up, drug it on and went. No scratches. No scuffs.

If I would have had time I might have read the manual and did what it said, whatever that may be.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 PM

Thanks for all the information!