Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

DWW...Driving Without Wing

Old 10-10-2008, 03:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DWW...Driving Without Wing

Originally Posted by Mr. F
it's not so much the fine, but OHP uses no front plate as an excuse to pull someone over to check for DUI and other offenses.

yeah, i know, if you're not drinking you don't have anything to worry about...but like i want to be bothered with that crap any time. let 'em collect their revenue from some other schlump.
That's exactly why mine is on the front. It doesn't look THAT bad. I forget it's on there, it's not that big of a deal.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:45 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fritzauf
This handy item should sell well in OHIO.
http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...a2cf638863eab0
That's cool! Of course after watching the video a couple times my engineering mind starts ripping it apart. "It's not going to allow being stored while driving (if the plate is slightly lower in the front while stored it will get grabbed by the wind and bent down)." "If it's up while driving it's going to move side to side and wear a mark on the front bumper." "It will get all munged by road debris and such and stop working." "There's no place to mount it under there."

For $30, I'd give it a try and shore up some of the weaknesses myself but for $180 I'd rather buy rear speakers and mount them to improve the stereo imaging in my c0ckpit...

Still, it does trigger fantasies of a certain Aston Martin DB5...

Now where'd that Ejector Seat button go...?

Old 10-10-2008, 05:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by +fireamx
But I found that nearly everytime I was on the highway and the wing would go up when it was supposed to, it seemed like some tuner car would come out of no where and "dog" me for a couple miles. At least until he got tired of being ignored by me. It was like the wing going up was interpreted as some sort of challenge by every "boy" racer out there.
I feel much better now, I thought this was only happening to me ! I suppose it's like the "cape and the bull" or some type of "intimidation device".
Ricers here ya go ! My wings deploying, lets get it on !

Old 10-10-2008, 09:21 PM

He says his girlfriend has a roadster, and he had the chance to read the owners manual all the way thru yesterday, sitting in the car while she was in a shoe store.

He was probably still pissed about sitting in the car doing nothing for three hours while his girlfriend was doing something much more important to her than spending time with him while he could have been watching colledge football or NASCAR.

On the other hand you're lucky it was OHP as all of the local officers are concentrated on revenue generation. Since OHP gets it's funding from the state they tend to concentrate on safety rather than revenue generation.

I too find the 64 mph (100km/hr) deployment speed aggravating. I'm sure the deployed spoiler hurts the gas mileage and pretty certain it doesn't improve the handling below 100 mph.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:22 AM

I am just curious

Why would you want the Wing down?

Old 10-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Arge
I am just curious
Why would you want the Wing down?
Read post #28

Old 10-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John Webster
. I'm sure the deployed spoiler hurts the gas mileage and pretty certain it doesn't improve the handling below 100 mph.
Has anybody done a test to see if the wing actually does or doesn't effect MPG?
When I'm going to the Dragons Run at the end of the month I may just attempt an un-scientific test of my own on the stretch of rt 71 between Columbus and Cincy where it's mostly flat. Since it runs North and South, you don't get much head or tail winds to contend with either.
I've always thought (like John) it probably would "degrade" mpg, but never really had any proof to back it up.