Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Please give me some advice!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Please give me some advice!!!

I've encountered some problems with my 04 xfire recently. I had the ignition switch replaced at the Chrysler dealership back in June and was issued a new key because I was told that my old key would not work due to the new ignition switch. Well tonight my new key broke and I used the old key just to give it a try and guess what...the car turned on!

This makes me think was I ripped off??? I had to pay for a new key $250 and just ordered a new one at $150 tonight. If the old key works this must mean that they never actually replaced the ignition switch right? Why would they make me buy new keys knowing that the old one workS? I am so frustrated with the Chrysler dealer. If they don't know how to work on a crossfire then they shouldn't attempt it.

Can someone please give me some insight? I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to speak to the manager, and well being a girl they think I'm an idiot!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Please give me some advice!!!

I've never had my ignition switch replaced but to me something like that would need to be special ordered with a VIN # so it matches. I know when you order a new key you have to have your VIN and you title on hand so to me it would make sense that you wouldn't need a new key because you changed out your ignition switch.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 PM

I had my igniton replaced and my old key worked fine. I was never told about having to get a new key cause the old one wouldn't work. It was my understanding that they have to order VIN specific ignition parts so that your key works? I may be wrong on that though. I think it is more that the dealership didn't know what they were talking about when dealing with these cars rather then ripping you off. But I wouldn't put it past them.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:03 PM

Matt-So you've had your ignition switch replaced? How much did it cost?
yes, they told me specifically to buy a new key. and when I went back tonight, I ordered another one and to find that the old one works.

I remember when I took it in to replace the switch, chrysler mechanic and manager actually admitted to me that they didn't know how to work on crossfires and they had to keep calling mercedes for instructions.

What do you propose I say to chrysler tomorrow?
I called them tonight and told them to put a stop on the new key order, and they guy said that he's going to print out my previous order and show me why my old key wouldn't work...I feel like I'm being scammed and I can't speak!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:01 AM

I don't know for sure about the XF, but in other cars, the ignition switch is a seperate part from the lock cylinder (the part you put the key into). .02

Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Please give me some adivce!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by The Beep
I don't know for sure about the XF, but in other cars, the ignition switch is a seperate part from the lock cylinder (the part you put the key into). .02
Correct. The ignition switch is a separate part from the key cylinder. The key cylinder actuates the ignition switch.
Replacing the ignition switch does not affect your current key. Your key is coded to the PCM and the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module. If neither of these was replaced you did not require a new key.
Of course I could be wrong!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by pinkpesho
Matt-So you've had your ignition switch replaced? How much did it cost?
yes, they told me specifically to buy a new key. and when I went back tonight, I ordered another one and to find that the old one works.

I remember when I took it in to replace the switch, chrysler mechanic and manager actually admitted to me that they didn't know how to work on crossfires and they had to keep calling mercedes for instructions.

I called them tonight and told them to put a stop on the new key order, and they guy said that he's going to print out my previous order and show me why my old key wouldn't work...I feel like I'm being scammed and I can't speak!
I paid around $800 to have my ignition replaced. It is not cheap. Mine had to be replaced because the car was not turning on. As if everything on the inside had worn out. If that isn't your problem your fix my not be as expensive.

I had the entire assembly replaced and my original key still worked. You said that they admitted they didn't know how to work on these cars. That right there should tell you they probably do not know what they are saying when they tell you you need a new key.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:27 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkpesho
Tell them ...
Replacing the ignition switch does not affect your current key. Your key is coded to the PCM and the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module. If neither of these was replaced you did not require a new key.