Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Extended warranties

Old 10-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Extended warranties

beanerneon - PM sent, thanks!

As far as the 2.5 month rental car coverage, I think the dealer had something to do with that, no arm twisting involved.

- It all started with a simple ignition replacement and turned into the dealership scratching my instrument cluster and dash pad with a screwdriver—and breaking one set of car keys.

- They replaced the instrument cluster once, didn't work right, ordered a new one.

- It took 6 months to get the dash pad in, actually they had it upstairs in parts department for 5 months and no one told my service advisor.

- Ordered a new instrument cluster, after they had my car apart in a million pieces. Found out it was on nation back order and would take 3 months to get.

So long story short - dealer pays $2,500 for car rental and the only lemon law here is the dealer service.

Oh ya - I'm in a rental right now, another week! Second seat switch ordered for my airbag light problem (fourth time in) and another part that was suppose to be here last Friday. The saga continues! (OK I'm done venting!)

Old 10-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Forum Regular

Sorry to hear all the problems. BUT the good news is how dedicated some Xfire owners are when it comes to their cars. Hang in there. Kudos to the dealer for being so stand up.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:30 PM

I agree, the dealership is stand-up just for "making it right" and working with extended rental cars. I'm now on a first name basis with two service advisors, the service manager and a couple mechanics.

The big problem is the dealerships are not as familiar with these cars. It's pretty sad when your car comes home with more problems than when it went in. But I'm hanging in there, I'm in for the long haul.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you have such a great dealer, sadly the dealers around here are all too glad to wave the "fine print " in my face and say sorry you are outta luck

Old 10-28-2009, 09:01 PM

I called Chrysler after visiting their service contracts link (Maximum Care Plus Plan) and they quoted me $3000 for a lifetime/unlimited mileage extended warranty. $100 deductible per visit, and if my car breaks 100 miles or more from home, it pays up to $1000 for lodging, meals, towing, and rental car per incident.

I'm planning on keeping this car for a very, very long time. Being a 2006, I was only offered the 3/36k warranty, which is about to expire and this seems like an expensive, but excellent warranty.

What do you guys think?

Old 10-29-2009, 01:07 AM
Talking Re: Extended warranties

Shop around beanerneon on the forum can get you a price, Danny

Old 10-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LadyMills
I called Chrysler after visiting their service contracts link (
Originally Posted by LadyMills
Maximum Care Plus Plan) and they quoted me $3000 for a lifetime/unlimited mileage extended warranty. $100 deductible per visit, and if my car breaks 100 miles or more from home, it pays up to $1000 for lodging, meals, towing, and rental car per incident.
I'm planning on keeping this car for a very, very long time. Being a 2006, I was only offered the 3/36k warranty, which is about to expire and this seems like an expensive, but excellent warranty.
What do you guys think?
I think it's two times too much!!! I paid $1350. Have you read the thread to see what the rest of us are paying?

Originally Posted by tighed1
About the same price I paid. Great deal as the local dealer quoted me $3500!

I used this guy...

Michael Case
Office (630) 231-3464
Direct (630) 386-1707

Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 AM

OK Beanerneon, here we go:
I want the longest waranty I can get and I don't mind paying a deductible..
2008 300 45000 miles
2007 Crossfire 25500 miles.

You can contact me at 314.616.0938 Richard

Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Forum Regular

Beanerneon gave me the following

$3195 = lifetime
I have a 2008 Crossfire with 7,500 miles and original owner bought in Dec of 2008.

Are you folks sure we're all talking the same warranty?

Old 10-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Oooooooh. LIFETIME.

Nevermind!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:46 PM

THE 08 qualifies for a lifetime max care with 100 deductible at a special of $2150.

the 07 still qualifies for the same plan but it's $2995. It's all based on current coverage on the vehicle. The 07 only has a 3/36

Originally Posted by rick-eureka
2008 300 45000 miles

Old 10-29-2009, 07:05 PM

BTW, what's up with that nonsense Chrysler did by switching the warranties around every couple of years??? That's typical marketing ploy crap that always burns me up. Last year was lifetime engine, this year 3/36, next year 7/70 maybe I'll wait until they bring it back to lifetime before I buy another Chrysler. Well, that isn't true, but man, the marketing folks really pi$$ me off.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Forum Regular

Don't forget, years down the road, if a repair cost more that the value of the car, they won't repair the car. For instance your power seats cost $2000 to fix but the car is only worth $1200 they'll give you the lower amount and cancel the policy.

Originally Posted by rick-eureka
2008 300 45000 miles

Old 11-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spotsbimmer
Don't forget, years down the road, if a repair cost more that the value of the car, they won't repair the car. For instance your power seats cost $2000 to fix but the car is only worth $1200 they'll give you the lower amount and cancel the policy.
Exactly! The Max Care Lifetime Warranty is not really lifetime at all. It's likely that at some point your policy will be canceled in return for partial payment on a repair.

I think some people actually believe they are going to own a vehicle, keep it for the rest of their lives and never pay a repair bill again!

"IMPORTANT! The maximum reimbursable amount should a
covered component fail will be THE TOTAL COST OF THE
REPAIRS, PER VISIT, LESS THE DEDUCTIBLE, OR THE
CASH VALUE OF THE VEHICLE WHICHEVER IS LESS!
The cash value of the vehicle will be determined by the
average retail value as listed in the current NADA Used Car
Pricing Guide. In situations where the repairs costs exceed
the cash value of the vehicle, the remainder of the Plan
coverage will be cancelled."

Another item in that paragraph that may present issues is the claim of "average retail" and "NADA Used Car Pricing Guide." NADA publishes different periodical used car guides for vehicles up to 8 model years old, used cars from 9-20 years old, and a third guide for collectible/classic/exotic/muscle cars. Note that the used car guides provide "retail" pricing info, but the classic car guide instead provides "market" values. I would not be surprised that when someone takes their 21 year old Crossfire in for a "covered" repair that they are told that their policy is no longer in effect because the "average" retail vehicle is $0 since the typical vehicle is in a junk yard by then. Maybe the plan provider would use "market" pricing, but since it's not explicitly stated in the policy I would have some doubts.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Forum Regular

The same is true for the lifetime warranty on the power train. It was a great marketing ploy by Chrysler to get you to buy the car and/or the warranty. Was any one told the whole truth when they bought the car or warranty. The devil is in the details.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:37 PM

The online Classic Cars Pricing Guide gives retail values. Say in 20 years NADA says the car is only worth $2000.00 and your engine goes. If the engine costs $5,000 to replace, Chrysler will only pay you $2000 (car's cash value)..but since the original extended warranty cost $2300.00 - you're only out $300 . So assuming that the value of the car doesn't go below what you paid for the extended warranty you won't actually lose if they cancel the policy.
I think I'm more worried that Chrysler won't be around to honor the warranty.

Originally Posted by Rob M
Exactly! The Max Care Lifetime Warranty is not really lifetime at all. It's likely that at some point your policy will be canceled in return for partial payment on a repair.

I think some people actually believe they are going to own a vehicle, keep it for the rest of their lives and never pay a repair bill again!

"IMPORTANT! The maximum reimbursable amount should a
covered component fail will be THE TOTAL COST OF THE
REPAIRS, PER VISIT, LESS THE DEDUCTIBLE, OR THE
CASH VALUE OF THE VEHICLE WHICHEVER IS LESS!
The cash value of the vehicle will be determined by the
average retail value as listed in the current NADA Used Car
Pricing Guide. In situations where the repairs costs exceed
the cash value of the vehicle, the remainder of the Plan
coverage will be cancelled."

Another item in that paragraph that may present issues is the claim of "average retail" and "NADA Used Car Pricing Guide." NADA publishes different periodical used car guides for vehicles up to 8 model years old, used cars from 9-20 years old, and a third guide for collectible/classic/exotic/muscle cars. Note that the used car guides provide "retail" pricing info, but the classic car guide instead provides "market" values. I would not be surprised that when someone takes their 21 year old Crossfire in for a "covered" repair that they are told that their policy is no longer in effect because the "average" retail vehicle is $0 since the typical vehicle is in a junk yard by then. Maybe the plan provider would use "market" pricing, but since it's not explicitly stated in the policy I would have some doubts.

Last edited by joeboxxer; 11-03-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joeboxxer
The online Classic Cars Pricing Guide gives retail values. Say in 20 years NADA says the car is only worth $2000.00 and your engine goes. If the engine costs $5,000 to replace, Chrysler will only pay you $2000 (car's cash value)..but since the original extended warranty cost $2300.00 - you're only out $300 . So assuming that the value of the car doesn't go below what you paid for the extended warranty you won't actually lose if they cancel the policy.
I think I'm more worried that Chrysler won't be around to honor the warranty.
The online price information is not NADA's "official" guide though. I see that they do use "retail" prices online, but the printed appraisal guide refers to pricing as "market reflective" (at least in the sample they provide online). All I'm saying is that the lawyers might have an intentional way out there. If you look at the typical collector/classic vehicle that is decades old and in average condition/value, the prices listed are multiples of the original MSRP (mostly due to inflation). But imagine that in 2040 someone still has their Crossfire and has never had one of these plans canceled, and by some miracle Chrysler and NADA are still around. Let's say the car is valued at $40K and some covered component breaks. The cost of the repair is $20K. Does the plan pay for the repair as seemingly specified in the contract? I bet it won't. But if it would, and one of these contract sellers would put it in writing, then a good strategy for a lifetime plan owner would be to pay out of pocket in an event there is a plan-busting repair in the early years (when the car is not classic/collectible and value is at the lowest). But as you said, what are the odds Chrysler is around in 5 much less 30 years from now?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 393 Likes on 338 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Extended warranties

It is a sad testomony when businesses/corporations are allowed to hide behind lawyers after duping john-q-public into buying their product and then fail to live up to common sense logic and fix things that break. Shame on them all!

Same thing happened to our veterans with the promise of lifetime healthcare if you served for 20 plus years, for you, your spouse and children to age 23 if still in college. And yes, I was one of those veterans.....

Old 08-19-2010, 05:11 PM

Hi guys I'm back. Im at a chrysler, dodge, jeep and chevy dealer in casa grande, AZ. Henry Brown automotive. I can get you warranties just like before. let me know. my cell is still 815 871 1566 or 520-836-2147 for the stores main line. Call me first. (Justin Bean)

Last edited by beanerneon; 08-20-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:44 AM
Post Re: Extended warranties

Making a serious home or customer electronics buy is absolutely a large decision. Many retailers are getting into the extended warranty sport and extended warranties are often costly. Essentially, the plans are insurance plans on your products. Extended warranties do not have to burn an opening inside your budget. In fact, you can now extend the warranty without extending your wallet considering the fact that many credit card companies already offer free extended warranties on your purchases.

Quick Reply: Extended warranties