Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Adding an mp3 player to stock radio

Old 02-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding an mp3 player to stock radio

I would like to somehow add my mp3 player to my radio in my base 2007 coupe. Is there a way to do this? An aftermarket plug in? Or do I have to have my original radio replaced? Thanks!

Old 02-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Adding an mp3 player to stock radio

If you want to go the cheaper route you can try my method. I purchased an FM transmitter that plugs into the cigarette outlet on the dash and attaches to your mp3 player (iPod in my case) through the headphone jack. The one I purchased also doubles as an iPod charger. I believe I spent $12.99 on eBay altogether for the item and it works well.

I will tell you that in order to have decent volume with it I have to turn the volume up to around 20 and up to get decent sound (this depends on the quality and loudness of the mp3 file I am listening to). For example if I have an mp3 that is on the quiet side I may have to turn the volume as high as 35 to get it loud enough... and if this is the case the feedback from the FM frequency can be heard in the background. Considering the Crossfire's stock head unit only goes up to volume 40 (I always thought this was a random number to stop) this can be problematic. Furthermore the FM frequency can be disrupted by various exterior objects temporarily. I also sometimes notice if I am starting the engine cold I don't have to turn the volume up as loud to get good sound, but when the car has been running a while I need to turn the volume up higher to have the music loud enough (strange I know, but thats how it is).

If you have the cash, you should upgrade to a head unit with a jack for mp3 players. But if you don't feel like spending the money, my option is a cheap alternative which is certainly a decent option -- but you get what you pay for.

Note: I also have a garmin GPS and I bought an AC (cigarette lighter) jack four way splitter on ebay for around $8 which I plug into the cigarette lighter and run out of sight under the driver side seat. It runs both the mp3 jack and the garmin jack just fine.

Someone else on the forum can help you with other alternatives and you should also use the search function on the forum as this has been discussed fairly extensively.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I also tried the FM transmitter way first. But around here there was so much interference I couldn't find a clear station. So I got the Alpine iDA-X100 from Crutchfield, and now have CD quality sound and plenty of volume to boot.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the information. I have a Creative Zen mp3 player, so the iPod controller on the Alpine iDA-X100 probably wouldn't work. Plus, I do want a head unit that has a CD slot. I use the Creative Zen players because they work with the free audiobook downloads from my local library. On trips, my wife and I like to listen to audiobooks, and it's so easy with the Zen. If I get a new head unit from Crutchfield, are they hard to install into my beloved Crossfire? I remember swapping out a head unit on a Chevy Sprint from the 80's. I bought it from Crutchfield, and it was easy. Has anyone out there done a head unit change with help from Crutchfield? I'm not interested in changing the speakers, just the head unit. Ideally, I would like AM/FM with a CD player and just an input plug into the head unit. Is there a head unit that looks like it belongs in the Crossfire? My car is a base 2007 coupe in black. I bought it in October of 2008 for less than 16 grand! It only had 83 miles on it so it has the 3 year factory warranty and the lifetime powertrain warranty. I absolutely love it. It reminds me of my little Triumph Spitfire from 1974. Thanks for all your help!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search, try keywords such as "head unit" "install" "remove stock radio" etc.

I know there has been at least one (if not more) write ups on this, probably including pictures.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very informative thread.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can ship the radio back to Harman/Becker (the original OEM manufacturer) and have them add the cable for auxiliary input. I believe they open the case and solder the cable internally, not just plug a cable into a connector on the back.

If you want to retain the original radio, I don't think you can find a more "correct" or factory-ish way to do it.
I found the Becker store on ebay, here's an OEM Crossfire radio they sell with the cable already attached.

http://stores.ebay.com/beckerautosound

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Crossfire-Becker-Infinity-OEM-radio-with-AUX-input-added-BE6806-/263205394762

I sent them an email, asking them if they could add one into my Crossfire radio, and I don't have the email in front of me, but I think they said it would be about $100 if I recall correctly.
Not sure if any shipping would be included.
I haven't done it yet, still trying to find the money to get it done.
Send them an email, and they should answer quickly, and post any additional information you find out.
Their email should be: Service@beckerautosound.com

Checked my emails, 3 months ago they told me this:
Parts Department<parts@beckerautosound.com>
$100.00 plus S/H to add AUX to radio

Last edited by garjoe05; 10-16-2017 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Add email info