Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Just got her home...and already a weird problem

Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got her home...and already a weird problem

Hey guys,

Just drove my new-to-me 2005 Limited Roadster home tonight. Was a four-hour drive getting home and colder than hell and very, very windy, so miserable trip. Fun to be finally driving my Xfire, but man did I pick a rotten day to do this drive.

Loving the car, though, except for one problem. Every time I hit about 120KMH/75MPH, a beeping started from the dash and didn't stop until I dropped my speed back down again. Sounds exactly like the seatbelt beep, but I had my belt on. I had the spoiler manually up and it seemed to be fully deployed. No warning light on the dash or anything like that.

Any suggestions? Wonder if the cold was screwing with whatever sensor is back there telling the car whether or not the spoiler is up.

Very annoying. Can't just go back to the dealer, because the dealer is, of course, four hours away. Never had a chance to get the car on the highway to get it up to a good speed during the test driving, or I would have caught this earlier, as the dealership is buried in suburbia a fairly good hike from a highway. Car is mint in every other way.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Just got her home...and already a weird problem

sound like a spoiler issue,

does your rear spoiler go up or down, use the switch on the dash by the hazard light

normally it goes up around 65mph and if the spoiler does not go up then it will beep.

enjoy the car

Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 PM

Did some more searching through the forums and found the sound. It's in this YouTube clip about 1:22. So I guess it is the spoiler not up warning, but the spoiler was deployed, so awesome. Dammit. This I don't need, four hours from the dealer.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by faiz23
sound like a spoiler issue,

does your rear spoiler go up or down, use the switch on the dash by the hazard light

normally it goes up around 65mph and if the spoiler does not go up then it will beep.

enjoy the car
Thanks. Was hoping to...

Yeah, spoiler works fine manually. Put it up at the dealership and left it there. I like the look of the spoiler up.

When the beeps happened, I assumed it was a spoiler thing. Pulled over, put it down, put it up, etc. Seemed fine. One thing I did notice, though -- when it went down, it didn't go down smoothly, it went down in stages. It would go down a third or so, pause briefly, then another third, pause briefly, etc. Never stopped, and the pauses were very short, but definitely noticeable. Didn't do this when going up, so I thought this was part of the design. Is it? Wondering if I've got some weird electrical problem here.

Hoping it's just an ice thing if anything, because the dealership washed and waxed it this afternoon before I got there and it wasn't completely dry when I took the car out in -12 Celsius temps that were about -25 C with the wind. Just very annoyed now on a day I was hoping to be really happy. Envisioning doing this damn drive again soon to rectify this problem.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 PM

I had a problem with my spoiler it did not deploy on its own, it started beeping when it got up to around 70, if I remember correctly it stopped when I Manually deployed the spoiler.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spoiler goes down in stages; safety thing. I'll have to take a look at the service manual and see if there is an adjustment for the stop switches.

You may just wait until the sun is up and warms it up; you might get lucky and it is just ice. Mine doesn't leave the garage this time of the year other than to move it from spot to spot.

Will look, I'm sure one of us here will find something... This is minor, congratulations on the car, don't get discouraged...

Stay safe...

Respectfully,

Paul (MisterTaz)

Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 PM

By the way congrats.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Forum Regular

Ok I hear what your saying.

Just leave the spoiler in the down position, and let it deploy on its own after the certain speed. The beeping should not happen after this.

If the beeping does still happen......leave the spoiler in the down position. Disconnect the battery for 1 hour, then it should cure the problem.

My guess is that when u manually raised the spoiler the car didn't recognise it was fully opened and the warning chirp went off to warn you to put the spoiler in the up position for additional traction at your high rate of speed.

Please let us know what your outcome is.

And remember, you have a hot unique car, so have fun with it!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:06 PM

Thanks a lot, guys, for the encouragement and the advice! Really enjoyed hanging out on the boards the past few months as I was looking for an Xfire and then buying one. Love how solid and well built the car feels.

Did have some fun tonight, too. After I got off the highway (401 for anyone reading this in Ontario), I pulled over into the nearby high school parking lot, dropped the top, and then drove the rest of the way home with the top down, -12 be damned! Got some great looks. Wasn't even that cold with the heat cranked and the seat on. I'm amazed at how warm the car is. I can now understand how some posters here put on snow tires and drive Xfire coupes in the winter.

Antonio, I'll try that tomorrow. I put the spoiler down tonight and will take it out in the sun tomorrow and let it deploy on its own, see if that fixes the problem. If not, I'll disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

By the way, if you manually deploy the spoiler and decide to put it down, it will go down in stages if the car is not moving. If you are driving in at least second gear and hit the down button, the spoiler will go all the way down on its own without stopping in each stage. Also remember that if the spoiler is going down and you want to stop it, quickly press the up button and the spoiler will stay in that position. I like doing that sometimes

Old 03-03-2009, 04:01 PM

Hey again. Just had the car out today. Left the spoiler down and it deployed automatically when I got up to highway speeds. Then the beeping kicked in again at about 120KM/75MPH. Argh. Haven't disconnected the battery yet. Now I'm also getting a light out warning light on the dash, but don't have any lights out that I can see. Wondering if I've got some kind of electrical issue. Maybe the battery is going? Pretty sure it's the original battery, but the car's only got 37K miles on it.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Check your license plate lights that will set the light out warning and its not a light that you can neccessarily notice right away if its daylight outside.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Tony your spoiler was beeping because it was afraid it was getting chromed!

Toddy - congrats on your new ride, enjoy it. This sounds like it could be the battery issue.

Pat

Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the note, I'll check the license light now. Checked everything else but it was just dusk, so might have missed the license.

Patpur, by battery issue, I assume you mean the battery starting to go, right?

Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Forum Regular
Location: Colborne Ontario, Orlando FL. (winter) Haliburton Ont. (summer)

Congrat's on your new ride. Hope you get that problem fixed. What dealer did you purchase the car from?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 AM

Chevalier Chrysler in Aurora. Anyhow, I'm starting to really regret this buy. Dealership is telling me I have to bring the car in to be diagnosed and that if it's not a powertrain issue, I'll have to pay for the repairs. Nice. This happened less than an hour after buying the damn car. Just the thought of driving back there, too -- nice 800KM or so round-trip -- makes me physically ill, too, never mind the damn cost.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Forum Regular
Location: Colborne Ontario, Orlando FL. (winter) Haliburton Ont. (summer)

Originally Posted by Toddy
Chevalier Chrysler in Aurora. Anyhow, I'm starting to really regret this buy. Dealership is telling me I have to bring the car in to be diagnosed and that if it's not a powertrain issue, I'll have to pay for the repairs. Nice. This happened less than an hour after buying the damn car. Just the thought of driving back there, too -- nice 800KM or so round-trip -- makes me physically ill, too, never mind the damn cost.
I would assume the car is still under warranty. Take it to a local Chrysler dealer in the Ottawa area. No need to take it back to Aurora. What was your experiance like with Chevalier? They seem to have a few XF's listed on AutoTrader.ca

Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Toddy
Dude my buddy is a mechanic at that dealer ship!! I brought my x fire there to fix a reverse lock out problem. Their tranny mech used to work for benz, therefore they have someone who knows both chry and benz.

Im fortunate cuz I can go by his shop and work on the car for free... Im thinking it might be a sensor issue cuz the spoiler comes out but the car doesnt recognise it.

Last edited by manderson483; 03-04-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Toddy - The battery issue came up here about a week ago. Seems that when some folks batteries were about to die the spoiler came up for no reason. Battery replaced problem disappeared. Another thought for you. A while back I pulled out of the lot at work and my BAS/ESP light came on. I spun the tires on some ice. At the same time my spoiler went up. It wouldn't go down unless I put it down manually and it did it in very specific increments. It wasn't smooth. It did this when I started the car for a few hrs until I did the BAS/ESP reset which is in your manual. It involves turning the steering wheel, lock to lock and that resets it, look at your manual under BAS/ESP, the reset is in there. Mine did not reset right away, it took a few hours? The good news is that I haven't had an issue with it since (KOW). When I get home I will post the page # in the manual so you can try that.
Pat

Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM

Hey patpur. Thanks a lot for the tip. I actually found that in the manual and did the reset in the driveway an hour ago. Haven't had it out on the road to see if it made any difference. Still need to unhook the battery and try that. Made an appointment with Metro Chrysler in Ottawa tomorrow to check this out. Out of warranty for stuff like this, AFAIK.

Manderson, I'm sure your buddy knows what he's doing, but I got a call back from someone in Chevalier service that doesn't have a clue. He actually told me that the car is fine, that you're supposed to put the spoiler down manually when you're over 100KM! LOL Yeah, that sounds sensible. Sheesh. He ended by suggesting that I take it to a dealer and have it flashed or whatever car dealers call it. So, not exactly too enthralled with Chevalier right now. The guy on the phone with me didn't seem to have clue one about the car.

Can you ask your friend if he has any ideas? Like to have as many possibilities to give Metro tomorrow so I don't wind up paying for some big electrical hunt or whatever. I'm going to suggest that they try a battery right away, I think.

Quick Reply: Just got her home...and already a weird problem