Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

deadening car to reduce road noise

Old 04-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: deadening car to reduce road noise

Originally Posted by distantpulse
Ok, I did manage to get that back panel off and the styrofoam came right out. So I installed some of my dynamat extreme today. Took quite some time! I only installed the floor of the trunk and it took me a few hours total. I was surpised, but you really gotta work that stuff into all the bends and contours of the metal. I didn't have the roller tool, just used a glove and a little elbow grease. lol. I only used 3 sheets out of 9 so far in the bulk pack so that wasn't too bad. After the trunk floor what would you guys recommend me doing? Should I go ahead and do the back panel? Or where the gas tank is? Both? Or should I focus on the rear wheel wells? I am going to use all of what I have. It weighed in at 22.4 pounds which I thought wasn't too bad considering the resonator probably weighed that much.

BTW - I BETTER be able to tell a difference with this shyt in there!! If I don't, I am going to be mighty pissed!! Fingers crossed.

you might be pissed lol since you will want to go over board and do the whole car.

places to focus on

exhaust,
differential
fire wall
wheel wells

i have the back panel off for now and will check if you should add deadner there first or the gas tank

the gas tank has a heavy metal cover over it but the backwall is kinda weak on stock carpeting.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Forum Regular

check out these pics

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...hp/photo/29837
https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...hp/photo/29838

i think the gas tank should be good i would do the back wall first before the gas tank

Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'll do the back panel as well. Thanks All I'm looking for is to kill a little of the drone in the exhaust. That's it! I don't care about anything else really. It would be really nice though to have a super quiet interior I just can't stand adding the extra weight! Ugh...

Old 04-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you guys think of this stuff? 80 mil, 100sq' for $139 and includes the roller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-80-PowerMat-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 04-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Forum Regular

if it is too good to be true.....

i think this is an asphalt based deadener if so stay away, horrible smell when it gets hot and in tx that is every day, over time looses its adhesiveness and will fall off.

to save money pick up raamat at www.raamaudio.com, they have it for like 120 for 60sq ft, around 2 mill foil and .6 mil butyl.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by distantpulse
Ok, I'll do the back panel as well. Thanks All I'm looking for is to kill a little of the drone in the exhaust. That's it! I don't care about anything else really. It would be really nice though to have a super quiet interior I just can't stand adding the extra weight! Ugh...

i have 2 cheap cheap deadeners for you i thought about trying a couple of them,

jam up your stereo really loud to the point where the exhaust is no longer heard,

throw some deadners around your ears lol,

try a set of ear muffs.

just kidding,

have you got pics of your install it would be nice for people to see what areas you have done and which resulted in the best impact.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by faiz23
if it is too good to be true.....

i think this is an asphalt based deadener if so stay away, horrible smell when it gets hot and in tx that is every day, over time looses its adhesiveness and will fall off.

to save money pick up raamat at www.raamaudio.com, they have it for like 120 for 60sq ft, around 2 mill foil and .6 mil butyl.
It is not asphalt. Read the listing... It is butyl... 80mil

Old 04-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Forum Regular

what you want is this

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-New-Butyl-Sound-Deadener-Deadening-Quiet-Mat_W0QQitemZ270371327357QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item270371327357&_trksid=p3286.c 0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|24 0%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

you need something that is all butyl not a composite or butyl based that is a marketing tactic.

that deadner i listed is more expensive becuase it is a full butyl deadener.

also get something like 60-70mill thick the 80 mill damplifier pro with 4 mill foil takes some elbow grease to get it worked in there.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Forum Regular

here is a good link on lots of discussion about sound deadener

http://allfordmustangs.com/forums/20...-products.html

Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Forum Regular

i sent them an email and here is the reply.

"OURS IS MIX BUTYL AND ASPHALT ASPHALT IS WHAT HELPS MAKE IT STICK AND THERE IS NO SMELL AND THATS WHERE THE BUTYL COMES IN. STRAIGHT BUTYL SUCKS WHEN IT HEATS UP IT TURNS GUMMY AND STRAIGHT ASPHALT SUCKS BECAUSE WHEN IT GETS HOT IT MELTS AND STINKS THATS WHY WE MIX OURS TO CONTROL ALL THE BAD STUFF"

not sure why it was necessary to use all caps lol,

i would prefer all butyl my self i have used it and all the big player in the deadener game use all butyl for its properties. the butyl smell typically goes away after couple months. i had plenty of deadener in my acura and it was Dynamat since i got it at cost when i worked at bestbuy. i had no issues with smell and i did the cabin, trunk and doors.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 AM

i sent them an email and here is the reply.

"OURS IS MIX BUTYL AND ASPHALT ASPHALT IS WHAT HELPS MAKE IT STICK AND THERE IS NO SMELL AND THATS WHERE THE BUTYL COMES IN. STRAIGHT BUTYL SUCKS WHEN IT HEATS UP IT TURNS GUMMY AND STRAIGHT ASPHALT SUCKS BECAUSE WHEN IT GETS HOT IT MELTS AND STINKS THATS WHY WE MIX OURS TO CONTROL ALL THE BAD STUFF"

not sure why it was necessary to use all caps lol,

i would prefer all butyl my self i have used it and all the big player in the deadener game use all butyl for its properties. the butyl smell typically goes away after couple months. i had plenty of deadener in my acura and it was Dynamat since i got it at cost when i worked at bestbuy. i had no issues with smell and i did the cabin, trunk and doors.

I also sent a message and got the exact same response. I really don't know crap about sound deadners. I am an old drag racer and removed the factory deadner and threw it in the trash to save weight. I will trust your recomendations..

Old 04-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Forum Regular

no problem man i have been messing with electronics type stuff longer than motor work.

i am decent when it comes to audio, hid, little bit of work on remote starts, and wiring.

i am wanting to learn more about doing a engine swap, adding turbos, tuning ecu's.

i can do basics like brake jobs, pulling the whole dash out to do blower motor, spark plugs, fuel filters, basic maintenance and still learning more.

thanks

Old 04-10-2009, 12:07 PM

Sounds like we can help each other!

Old 04-12-2009, 07:00 PM

Ok, here are a couple of pics of my trunk area that I dampened with Dynamat........I also did the back panel which I never got a pic of. I basically covered the entire trunk area. I also covered any holes I saw. I used 5 sheets of 18x36 inch material. It is roughly 2.44lbs per sheet for a total of 12.2lbs. Not too bad. It does look fairly easy to install (and it is!), it just took some TIME!! So be aware that this isn't a 30min job. My car is apart right now, but as soon as I get it back together I will give an update and my opinions on this product........

Last edited by distantpulse; 04-12-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Forum Regular

that came out nicely if i were you not sure if you did but double up or triple up on the exhaust and differential. wheel wheels also these will have the most due to moving parts or muffler drone.

also i would look into doing the spoiler area. i did it since it picks up some noise from outside and due to bass rattle when the sub hits. i removed the entire spoiler and did the hatch. in the srt it might not be as necessary as there is not moving parts but couldn't hurt.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Forum Regular

I doubled the application in the trunk and don't think it did a thing. I ended up welding in a balance tube for the exhaust which did way more the any sound deadening. I now have a loud exhaust but it doesn't vibrate the interior. Now at 70mph I can carry on a normal conversation. Infact the car is louder inside at 60mph then any other speed. Hey Distant if you make it to the Dyno tune in NJ I'll drive you around and we can compare notes on exhaust noise.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bulldogger
I doubled the application in the trunk and don't think it did a thing. I ended up welding in a balance tube for the exhaust which did way more the any sound deadening. I now have a loud exhaust but it doesn't vibrate the interior. Now at 70mph I can carry on a normal conversation. Infact the car is louder inside at 60mph then any other speed. Hey Distant if you make it to the Dyno tune in NJ I'll drive you around and we can compare notes on exhaust noise.
that's not encouraging Dave!! LOL, where should I double up?! Right over the exhaust or the entire trunk floor? I have 4 pieces left so I have enough. What about using some underneath, above the muffler??

Btw-I am not sure I'm making the dyno tune. First, I never heard back from Tony. Second, I am 99% sure I'm switching to InMotions tune. Maybe I'll take the drive up anyway to meet you guys.....

Last edited by distantpulse; 04-13-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Forum Regular

double up or even triple up on exhaust due to drone to the area on top of the muffler and sides.

use the rest on differential area in the center, if you have scraps slap it on the wheel well.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Forum Regular

if the drone is bad you might need some luxury liner pro as a carpet like the wheel wells have them to further cut down noise.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:18 AM

double up or even triple up on exhaust due to drone to the area on top of the muffler and sides.

use the rest on differential area in the center, if you have scraps slap it on the wheel well.
Thanks faiz I'll do that. Btw, I like your system setup. It looks sweet!

Quick Reply: deadening car to reduce road noise