Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Thoughts about the 6-speed

Old 07-01-2003, 11:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts about the 6-speed

Hi all,

I had my sights on a 6-speed but my will didn't hold out to waiting and facing uncertainty so I settled for an AutoStick version. Both cars that my dealer had were AutoStick so I never got to test drive the manual.

I do prefer manual shifts in my cars when available but I'm extremely pleased with the 5-speed automatic, very smooth. So I'm curious about the feeling of the 6-speed on the Crossfire.

I've read mixed reviews about it from knuckles hitting the console on front position gears, to poor gear ratio spacing, to bad shifting feel (long throw, washy feel, etc).

I'm still entertaining the thought of swapping my automatic for a manual but before I entertained it more seriously, just wondering if somebody who has the 6-speed give some comments on it.

Counterpoints from those who have tried the 6 and settled on the auto welcomed as well.

Old 07-02-2003, 11:11 AM

I bought the 6 speed after driving both auto & stick models. I'm quite pleased with it. The throws are short, there's plenty of room around the lever for agressive shifting without hitting anything and the feel of it is good. Now for the negatives- **** is too slick feeling- I'll probably change it for a Momo leather covered ****. First gear is too low- you barely get started & you're at the rev limiter but the other gear ratios seem about right. You can drive around town or in slower freeway traffic in 3rd & it still has the power to accelerate when needed. Not a lot of gear thrashing needed. The clutch was easy to get used to- positive engagement and not too stiff so it makes your leg tired. Overall, I'm really glad I went with the 6 speed. IMHO it makes the car much more fun to drive.

Old 07-13-2003, 10:38 AM

Purchased a 6 speed (black) last week. Test drove the auto - although the auto was fine - the six speed was closer to what I wanted in a sports car. Both cars are great.