Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

First Trip to the Shop

Old 07-15-2003, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Trip to the Shop

I was detailing our beautiful new Saphire Silver, and had the hood open to clean things. I figured I would top off the windshield washer solution. I started with a full gallon, and after the first half went in, I thought the dealer was being pretty cheap by not filling it. Well after about 3/4 gallon, I looked on the ground and it was pouring out of the bottom of the car. Not just around the wheel well but down the entire running board!!!
Well I was a little confused as I could not find the reservoir. It is under the front passenger fender somewhere. So off to the dealer.
The mechanic that was trained on the Crossfires had already left for the day, so I will be taking it in tomorrow night to have him tear the thing apart to find out where the leak is.

Just a side note. My Wife drove it for the first time tonight. BIG MISTAKE!! Now I will have to take turns. She just about wet her pants!
And I thought I had a hard time going slow. She is a speed demon.

Well I will keep everyone updated on my repairs. Stay Tuned

Old 07-15-2003, 09:42 PM

Thank you for the information on the leaking window washer system. I am surprised that this occured. I would think that quality control would be complete. <shaking head>

But I will be looking at the window washer tank, when I get the Crossfire.

Also, I hope they repair this issue for you quickly and completly. When you pick up your Crossfire, can you can ask why this occured. Tube not connected? Defect in tank?

Old 07-15-2003, 10:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,I work for a chrysler dealer and saw a service bulletin on the washer tank it says not to overfill or leak will occur.It might be equip. with a overflow hose that lets fluid out past the fender.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:08 AM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by crossfiretech
Hi,I work for a chrysler dealer and saw a service bulletin on the washer tank it says not to overfill or leak will occur.It might be equip. with a overflow hose that lets fluid out past the fender.
Are there any other TSBs for the Crossfire?

Old 07-16-2003, 06:58 AM
Forum Regular

crossfiretech:

Pls let us know on any TSB's out for the Crossfire.

Here is a link where you can look up recall and TSB's on all make and models--problem is they don't have 2004's listed yet:
http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html

Old 07-16-2003, 07:57 AM
Default Washer bottle

This bottle is designed with a filler neck that floats in the bottle opening without a seal. The bottle opening will act as the overflow if you try to fill until you see fluid in the neck. There is a TSB at the dealers letting them know this is design intent. :wink:

Old 07-16-2003, 08:39 AM
Forum Regular

So how do you know how much to put in??? :?

Old 07-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Default Washer Bottle

You can put in roughly 1 gallon in the washer bottle after the light comes on. Even after the light comes on, there is quite a bit left in there. If you are using a hose, I guess you watch the floor for overflow.

Old 07-16-2003, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the Heads Up! This is the kind of post that really helps us Crossfire owners. Being a new new car its hard to get info on problems or Fixes, etc. Thanks again and keep on posting info this, it really helps us all owner or potential owner :shock:

Old 07-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Forum Regular

Carguy--u da man...thanks!

I think it's important that we all post "issues" like this on the forum as we come across them--even if they seem small, it will help us all out down the road. I would have never know about this overfill problem, and probably freaked out if it happened to me.

I am having one issue with my rear gate/fin rattleing--anyone else????

Old 07-16-2003, 05:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,I checked for any TSB's and recalls,there are none so far
As far as the washer tank there was a service memo on the overflow problem.The washer fill neck has a built in overflow port.They didn't want washer fluid overflowing in the engine compartment so they let it run out the fender.The memo says not to replace any parts the overflow is normal.Just top off the washer fluid when washing your car or never add more than a half gallon when light comes on.

Old 07-17-2003, 06:12 AM

I would like to thank everyone for all of the replys. I am happy to find out there is nothing wrong with the reservoir. What I am dissapointed in is my service dept. had NO CLUE as to the problem and any TSB or any other information about this problem. It seem that the best source of info is right here. I did cancel the trip to the service dept. as I didn't want our beauty gone for a day if there was nothing they could fix.

Old 07-17-2003, 11:55 AM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by 100smiles2thegallon
I would like to thank everyone for all of the replys. I am happy to find out there is nothing wrong with the reservoir. What I am dissapointed in is my service dept. had NO CLUE as to the problem and any TSB or any other information about this problem. It seem that the best source of info is right here. I did cancel the trip to the service dept. as I didn't want our beauty gone for a day if there was nothing they could fix.
I think you are the first person this forum has really helped. Thanks to everyone here who stepped up. Thats the whole point of this forum, and I am glad to see that this site has become the best place to come for Crossfire help and discussion.

Old 07-17-2003, 03:35 PM

Welcome to a repeat of us early PT owners........No but seriuosly,this is a very new vehicle.It will be a while before the nuances and idiosyncracies of this car are well known.An overflow makes sense.....Has anyone read the Owners Manual regarding servicing of the wiper fluid????Just wondering if it mentions anything about the overflow?

InfernoRed

Old 07-17-2003, 04:22 PM

Has anyone read the Owners Manual regarding sevicing of the wiper fluid????Just wondering if it mentions anything about the overflow?

InfernoRed
Yes I did. On page 193 it reads "The Washer fluid reservoir is located in the engine compartment and should be checked for fluid level at regular intervals. Fill the reservoir with windshiels washer solvent (not radiator antifreeze) rated not to freeze at -25 degrees F (-31 degrees C) Operate the system for a few seconds to flush out the residual water."

NO mention about the overflow, and I wonder just how am I suppose to check somthing I can not even see? The actual reservoir is inside the wheel well.

This really is not that big of deal, but I was just surprised to find washer solution running on to my shoes when I tryed to fill it.

Again, Thanks to all that responded.

Old 08-01-2003, 09:44 AM

Our crossfire has made 2 trips to the shop. At 350 miles, the dashboard lit up like a pinball machine and the car just quit. This was real embarrasing cause my wife was right outside her office. Turns out a ground wire came loose and freaked out the electrical. We had Lo-jack installed when we got it so don't know if QC missed this or they helped. The next day after getting it back, the wipers would not work. The motors power connector was not "snapped" together well. Since then no problem and don't regret our purchase. Stuff happens. ops: