Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crash Test

Old 07-17-2003, 05:53 PM
imported_mightyjlr
Default Crash Test

Someone e-mailed me wondering about crash test information on the Crossfire. I haven't seen any information on this, and I assume it won't be out for a while. Does anyone have any info on this?

Old 07-17-2003, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't heard of any actual data yet...BUT I would assume that the NHSTA will have to go through the usual bureacratic hoops to aquire some Crossfires for testing.

They will have to allocate the funds to purchase them and then actually locate and buy a few.Tax dollars at work........the first two PTs they managed to find cost them a pretty penny as I recall.They do not if I recall have a contract with manufacturers to have a few reserved for testing.As a result...whoever thier source is(wether a dealer,privately owned or the manufacturer)can charge an exhorbantant price.So they have to really work through price gouging to get some for testing.

It will probably be atleast a month or two before data is available....but that is a mere guess.

InfernoRed

Old 07-17-2003, 06:51 PM

Update;
I just checked out the NHTSA web site.Chose the "crashtests" selection off the main menu.They give about 6 or so selections/options after that.I chose the "Year,Make,Model" selection.Chose 2004 for the year(was surprised it is even listed yet).Chose Chrysler for make.Then scanned a LLOONNGG list of models(every darn car in production I think!!!!)in which I was surprised to find Crossfire actually listed.......and chose it.I then hit the search option.

Official Results;Un tested.....across the board.Obviuosly haven't aquired one yet.

InfernoRed

Old 07-18-2003, 08:32 AM
Forum Regular

I've read that both the NHSTA and the Insurance Institute will buy cars off the lot rather than use manufacturer supplied test cars.

For a limited production car, it might be a bit before it gets rated. They need to compete with us to get one.

Old 07-18-2003, 09:48 AM

I know where they can buy one...been on lot now for two weeks.

InfernoRed

Old 07-20-2003, 09:22 AM

Inferno.. I see you are in Indiana.. can't be too many around our state..
My interest in the Crossfire..started July 4th! I saw one parked in my neighbors driveway..I figured it was just a visitor..but it turns out that the Lady of the house saw it in Feb..waited for delivery and took delivery when it arrived.
It is a striking car..one that is not easy to forget..
I have not taken a close look at it,,but it is something that would kinda nice in my driveway...

Indy John

Old 07-20-2003, 11:46 AM

I beleive that because it relies on slk components it was assumed the same rating.This is how production started so quickly as they did not have to get a crash test rating.

Old 07-20-2003, 12:23 PM

Well,actually the company usually does thier own crash testing through the developement process as well....but that is kept in company.Not because it is intentionally hidden...but because lets face it..most would consider it biased.Most cars as they are developed now adays are done on computer largely...so testing can occur in simulation based on math and materials.A company doesn't have to seek goverment approval on crash tests before production.And using SLK componets probably has realatively little influence......I mean yes,it may use front end suspension or brakes or whatever the SLK does BUT the actual structure is probably not close enough to the SLK(except the "platform")to transfer directly to the same results.

InfernoRed

Old 07-21-2003, 09:03 AM

chassis,engine,interior,bulkheads,rear suspension ect...
40%
in company testing,owned by daimler-benz using tried and tested parts surely a recommendation that the car will be safe.

Old 07-21-2003, 03:25 PM

I'm in Kokomo, and drive past the Chrysler dealer in Noblesville every day. They have a black one in the showroom (and have for a couple weeks already).

So, anyone else in Indiana know of dealers with Crossfire(s) on the lot?

Originally Posted by IndyJohn
Inferno.. I see you are in Indiana.. can't be too many around our state..
My interest in the Crossfire..started July 4th! I saw one parked in my neighbors driveway..I figured it was just a visitor..but it turns out that the Lady of the house saw it in Feb..waited for delivery and took delivery when it arrived.
It is a striking car..one that is not easy to forget..
I have not taken a close look at it,,but it is something that would kinda nice in my driveway...

Indy John

Old 07-21-2003, 05:37 PM

Yes,our dealer has had one on lot now for just about 4 weeks.No one has bought it yet.It to is black.

InfernoRed

Old 07-21-2003, 07:37 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but do you know if the one in Lafayette is the 6-speed or the auto?

Old 07-22-2003, 06:09 AM

The one in Lafayette is a 5 speed autostick if I am not mistaken.If you want to know for sure.....it is a Twin City Dodge Chrysler.Don't know there phone number off the top of my head.

InfernoRed