Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Spoiler up - running out of ideas

Old 09-13-2015, 10:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Spoiler up - running out of ideas

I have read way too many posts on having the spoiler stay up but not quite what I have. I am assuming it is going to be the BCM but thought I would try another thread on this topic.

My spoiler is up and the light is blinking. If I turn the car off it stays up. When I restart the car the spoiler stays up but the light goes off. I can lower the spoiler until it continuously cycles the motor as if the limit switch is saying that it is not down yet - it will not beep. Once I let go of the switch the spoiler goes back up. If I turn the car off at the point where the spoiler is retracted it will stay down after I restart the car but will soon raise up on its own.

I had my battery tested and was told it was fine - 811 CCA and 12.8 volts - knowing the battery is a known issue with the spoiler and it was 4 years old I decided to replace it anyway -rules that out as spoiler does the same thing. I cleaned both battery terminals and also removed the ground and cleaned and reattached

The motor works and it does go up and down so assume that eliminates anything mechanical.

I checked and see the limit switches both work with my multi-meter and are in the correct on / off positions as required.

Since the spoiler will go down and the limit switch is working I also assume that since it continues to try and go down and does Not beep that the BCM is the next step. I have no abs/esp issues or lights. I have no visible signs of damage to wires in trunk area or in the box that houses the BCM. I have checked all the fuses. The top does not go down. The windows do when the top is unlatched.

Any ideas before I go to that ugly BCM place??

Thanks, Ron.

Last edited by Reliableron; 09-14-2015 at 12:06 AM. Reason: added bold info
Old 09-14-2015, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Spoiler up -running out of ideas

My spoiler was going up on its own nearly every time I started the car. When I replaced my old battery and cleaned the cables: Voila! The spoiler problem disappeared. I thought perhaps when the battery was removed the computer reset to factory settings. As long as it works correctly I don't question too closely.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:26 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RamblinShamblin
My spoiler was going up on its own nearly every time I started the car. When I replaced my old battery and cleaned the cables: Voila! The spoiler problem disappeared. I thought perhaps when the battery was removed the computer reset to factory settings. As long as it works correctly I don't question too closely.
Yours is a well documented "first sign" of a bad battery.

His extends beyond this if you noted his manual switch operation and symptoms ..

Old 09-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Reliableron

Any ideas before I go to that ugly BCM place??

Thanks, Ron.
Unfortunately I think you are on the right track...

Old 09-14-2015, 03:09 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks - I will try looking for one!

Old 09-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Spoiler up - running out of ideas

Something that happened to me a couple of years back: When my front left caliper locked up, it took out the brake sensor. The car computer interpreted the failure of the brake sensor as a collision and the spoiler went up--and stayed there while I limped home (brake light on).

Old 10-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Forum Regular

Ok. I replaced it. I bought the BCM from the Crossfire shop and the part #'s are the same. I turned the ignition to the on position for a minute before starting to "program" and then it started right up. Now the spoiler light was flashing as soon as it was turned on and the windows would not come down when the top was released. I tried running it up to spoiler speed and down, starting and stopping and running it up again - spoiler stayed up and light continued to flash. So I just put the old one back in and I am back to my original issue -spoiler light off when started and I can lower spoiler with switch but it does not read as down and pops back up unless I shut the engine off while it is down. Windows come down as before when top raised. Maybe the new BCM does need real programming or maybe I have a bad connection to the limit switches. I checked the limit switches again and they are in the correct positions when spoiler up/down and I can manually get them to turn off and on with a screwdriver and they have continuity. I have an appointment at the dealer this week to get it checked but was hoping to cancel it!

Old 10-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Forum Regular

So the dealer says that the micro switches are pulling too much juice and they need replacing -Canadian parts breakdown does not show separately. They said $423.00 for the motor with switches. I came home and found the # for the switch assy. on the forum under "spoiler stuck open" I called and they have the assy. available for $34.80 CDN and a couple days delivery. . So thanks for the info. and amazing the price is the same as US. -very unusual. Will see what happens - I will try and jump it tomorrow to confirm as they function as they are supposed to but didn't check the "draw"

Old 10-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Reliableron
So the dealer says that the micro switches are pulling too much juice and they need replacing -Canadian parts breakdown does not show separately. They said $423.00 for the motor with switches. I came home and found the # for the switch assy. on the forum under "spoiler stuck open" I called and they have the assy. available for $34.80 CDN and a couple days delivery. . So thanks for the info. and amazing the price is the same as US. -very unusual. Will see what happens - I will try and jump it tomorrow to confirm as they function as they are supposed to but didn't check the "draw"
I'm not an electronics wizard.. but limit switches are just that.. Switches.. "on or off".. they create no current draw...

Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

From what I remember the spoiler motor gets a message from the BCM and that gets a message from a speed sensor. This sensor is either on a wheel or in the transmission, I cannot remember exactly.
So my theory says it is not a fault of the spoiler mechanism but a sensor fault.
Edit
I checked using search and a post (CLICK) says a wheel sensor caused his spoiler up problem.
CLICK for search

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-07-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:20 AM
Forum Regular

I know it didn't sound right to me but service guy said I needed to replace the motor assy and then got the tech to come out and talk to me. He said he did something like use a separate ground and it stayed down. It was too much information as he explained it and my SRS light issue (separate problem - $3000. to fix -NOT!) I was trying to understand everything he said but I am not a techie so basically only got that there was a large draw on the micro switches -might have been ohm's and might have been 3-4 ohms when it should have been .3 or .4? and said I needed the switches which are only were available with the motor. I thought if it was a speed / wheel sensor they would have gotten a code or my abs/bas or esp light would be on. I will play with it and see - not giving up or in yet.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:19 PM
Forum Regular

So even though I had checked the switches for function with my multi meter, after I got it back from the dealer I played with them and I could get the lower switch to stick and that was the problem. I went on the 3 day Sea to Sky Crossfire run last weekend and it worked great until I got home and the spoiler was stuck up in the driveway. In order to get the retainer clips on the switches I pulled the spoiler and mount off the car and removed all I could but ran out of ideas when I got to the drive shafts. They hold the motor down and you can't get the clips on with them in the way. Manual was no help. I would now strongly suggest that you don't dissemble anything and just replace the switch assy without the clips. They have two **** that push through the bracket and it holds them in fairly well but as suggested in another post I added a dab of glue to hold them in place. I just took it for a drive and had the spoiler up and down a couple times and the roof down and back up. Done.