Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Fuel door heads up

Old 07-26-2003, 11:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel door heads up

I just did my first refueling stop today and I made an observation on the fuel door locking system that will apply to people in the two states in the US that have Full Serve all the time and others who might opt to use full serve.

The system uses a pin that threads through a hole in a latch on the swing door rather than a locking latch hook.

Problem here is I went to the store while the guy was pumping gas and I locked the car before stepping away. When I came back, the fueling was done and the guy obviously tried to close the fuel door and the door didn't close.

This is because the pin closed when I locked the car while the fuel door was open and the door couldn't get into the closed position and engage the "pop-up" spring because the pin was in the way.

Because the door opens forward and is spring loaded, it will probably not fly open when the car goes into motion but it may not lock properly unless you push it back down after unlocking the car.

Don't want to imagine what would happen if someone tries pushing hard to close the door while the locking pin is closed.