Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Flat Tow Behind a Motor Home /RV?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:15 AM
jjg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flat Tow Behind a Motor Home /RV?

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever Flat Towed a Crossfire behind a Motor home or RV. I have a Manual transmission and I ___think___ it can be flat towed without issue? Does anyone know if Flat Towing in neutral will harm the transmission or anything else?

Would anyone know how or where to get tow bars that would work on a Crossfire?

Best regards,
JJG

2007 Red Limited Coupe

Old 05-01-2009, 05:53 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Flat Tow Behind a Motor Home /RV?

Originally Posted by jjg
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever Flat Towed a Crossfire behind a Motor home or RV. I have a Manual transmission and I ___think___ it can be flat towed without issue? Does anyone know if Flat Towing in neutral will harm the transmission or anything else?

Best regards,
JJG

2007 Red Limited Coupe
I know where to get roll bars that would.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjg
Hi Everyone,

Best regards,
JJG

2007 Red Limited Coupe
I know nothing about the flat towing, but I would advise to turn off the anti-towing alarm from the switch on the dash. If this is not done, it will cause the cars alarm to go off because it thinks someone is trying to steal it. These cars have stability sensors and if not turned off, when you move the vehicle or cause the suspension to move, it will go off. Just my .02

Old 05-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Years ago I flat towed my car 4 hours on the road. The car alarm kept going off and it drive me crazy. I had no idea about the towing alarm. Never read the manual.... the car was still new and I just wasn't too familiar with it. Wish I knew then what I know now!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 PM

Blue Ox makes a baseplate that will allow you to tow a Crossfire. It is listed for 2005 Crossfires, but it fit my 2007 perfectly. I called Chrysler directly and their answer was that I could tow my manual transmission XF 4 wheels down with no problems.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Forum Regular

Old 05-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe dakota-boy1 towed/tows his

Old 05-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

The Owners manual has a brief section on towing, it recommends the use of a flatbed.
From the manual:
Important! If towing the vehicle, please note the
following: With the automatic central locking activated
and the key in the ignition switch turned to the
ON/RUN position, the vehicle doors lock if the left
front wheel and the right rear wheel are turning at
vehicle speeds of approximately 9 mph (15 km/h) or
more. To prevent the vehicle door locks from locking,
deactivate the automatic central locking.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-05-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a neg. I have never towed the SRT 6. The wife drives the SRT 6 , I pull the camper with my 1 Ton Dodge. Towing these cars, is a NO-NO. I was told the only way to tow these Crossfires is with all four wheels up on a trailer. 3300 lb SRT6 would be to heavy, behind my 5th wheel. Maybe I should get rid of the Dodge pickup and just use the Crossfire to pull the camper!!!!DayDreamer 5th Wheel 011.jpg
See attachment for proof..

Originally Posted by Rapp's
I believe dakota-boy1 towed/tows his

Last edited by dakota-boy1; 05-05-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 PM

The question was not about an SRT-6 or an automatic, it was about a manual tansmission. Manual transmission cars can be towed 4 wheels down. You do not have to turn the key to "on" to tow the car, just turn the key to the first click to unlock the steering wheel.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 PM
jjg

OK, So I have read the manual long b4 I posted and it says nothing on Flat towing behind an RV. I know to set the tow mode b4 towing the vehicle in any manner and in general a manual transmission car can be flat towed.

So with all that said does anyone one know if is there is any other Crossfire specific problem to flat towing a manual couple coupe behind an RV? and Would anyone know where to get compatible tow bars?

Best regards,
John

Old 05-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it would probably be easier just to find a nice used "tow dolly".
But if you insist on some sort of tow-bar set up, maybe you could find a solid spot behind the lower grills to weld a tow bar receiver to.
Then all you would have to do is pop out the lower grills to gain access to it, then reinstall the grills to hide it while driving.

Under Bumper view:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...php?photo=9885

Last edited by +fireamx; 05-23-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:31 AM
jjg
Default Re: Flat Tow Behind a Motor Home /RV? and Bike Rack Solution

Eureaka!!!!!!!!!!! I found a tow bar specifically made for a Crossfire!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Ox # BX1972

Check it out:

http://www.aemfg.com/pdfs/BX1972.pdf

While I am here, For all the bike rack Naysayers take a look at these pics of a couple of mountain bikes attached to my Crossfire on a Sarirs Bones 3 bike rack in red of course to match my sweet color. I have a truck that could carry the bikes in a blink, The crossfire is just so much sweeter to travel in.

Best regards,
John
2007 Crossfire LTD Coupe in the only color RED

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00048.jpg (607.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG00050.jpg (521.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Flat Tow Behind a Motor Home /RV? and Bike Rack Solution

Originally Posted by jjg
Eureaka!!!!!!!!!!! I found a tow bar specifically made for a Crossfire!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blue Ox # BX1972

Check it out:
Looks like somebody stole my idea........sort of.
Nice find jjg.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:13 PM
jjg

Originally Posted by loosecannonxf
Blue Ox makes a baseplate that will allow you to tow a Crossfire. It is listed for 2005 Crossfires, but it fit my 2007 perfectly. I called Chrysler directly and their answer was that I could tow my manual transmission XF 4 wheels down with no problems.
I just reread this thread and it looks like LooseCannonXF called it first! It does look like we have a solution for the 6spds.

Loose Cannon, What wiring adapters did you use and was it a smooth install?

Best,
John
07 XF Red

Old 05-24-2009, 10:32 AM

I didn't use the Blue Ox connectors. Instead I bought a pair of towing lights that plug into the RV's 4 pin plug. I strung the wire through the engine compartment, through the passenger compartment, and to the trunk. The towing lights each have a plastic flap that sits on the bottom lip of the trunk and you close the lid on the flap, leaving the lights hanging outside of the trunk.

Having a friend with a lift is almost a necessity. The bumper cover comes off easily, and lining up the baseplate to drill the mounting holes is easy. The hardest part is positioning the nuts inside of the frame tubes to engage with the mounting bolts. You can download the instructions from Blue Ox's website before you purchase the baseplate and it will tell you what tools you need. We used heavy duty plastic ties to hang the baseplate in place while we marked and drilled the mounting holes. You can use heavy duty clamps to do the same thing.

I use a Brake Buddy in the car to activate the XF's brakes when stopping, and it has a disconnect switch that will apply the brakes in case the car becomes separated from the motor home. Good Luck!

Old 05-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Rv Xfire08

Glad you sarted this thread,we live in a 5th wheel Rv and was wondering the same this in case we do move.we have 2 crossfires and will need to tow one.Please keep the ideas coming.can we use a trailer behind a 5th wheel??

Old 05-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Rv Xfire08

Originally Posted by dakota-boy1
That is a neg. I have never towed the SRT 6. The wife drives the SRT 6 , I pull the camper with my 1 Ton Dodge. Towing these cars, is a NO-NO. I was told the only way to tow these Crossfires is with all four wheels up on a trailer. 3300 lb SRT6 would be to heavy, behind my 5th wheel. Maybe I should get rid of the Dodge pickup and just use the Crossfire to pull the camper!!!!Attachment 14482
See attachment for proof..
Thats funny we posted the same pix.with our red crossfire .lol,I think the pix,is still in my gallery

Old 06-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings, all!

I realize this thread is over four years old, but I have just purchased a motor home and would like to tow my manual-transmission Crossfire. I've been doing some research and having mixed results. When I contacted Blue Ox, they told me that they use Remco's website to determine whether a particular car can be flat towed. Remco's website tells me that the manual transmission Crossfires must be trailered, but the automatic transmission Crossfires may be flat towed with a Lube Pump Kit and the BX1972 base plate.

So, here's my question to the people who have been using the BX1972 base plate with a manual transmission Crossfire: Does it work?

Thanks!

Bill

Old 06-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

They might work, but I would never flat tow anything. Tire wear, rock chips, etc... Plenty of cheap trailers for 3300lbs...and a lot less headache.. I have an enclosed trailer I picked up for 2500 bucks...does just fine and plenty of room for other things, HD Fatboy, and such...

Quick Reply: Flat Tow Behind a Motor Home /RV?