Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Flat Tow Behind a Motor Home /RV?

Old 06-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Flat Tow Behind a Motor Home /RV?

I agree! If the plan is to Tow it often and Far then Trailers are cheap. In my area I found 27 for less than $2,000. Heck You can throw Your Bikes in the trailer too.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trailers DO have some advantages. However, I see some disadvantages to using trailers:
1. Once you get to a small campsite, what do you do with it?
2. The extra weight of a trailer will come very close to the 5,000 lb limit of my hitch.
3. There is the reduced gas mileage that a 1,700 lb trailer would add. (yeah, I know that I shouldn't be concerned about mileage when driving a dozen tons of vehicles).

I suppose that a dolly would be a possible compromise. It wouldn't add as much weight when towing, and wouldn't have such a large footprint when parked. And most dollies also have brakes and lights built in.

On the other hand, I haven't found out much information on whether using a dolly would present another set of problems (such as scraping).

Last edited by whucker; 06-11-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

28' Winnebago, 24' enclosed trailer...have been just about everywhere. Sold the MH a few years back but still have the trailer...tow it with my old "hoe"... Just hate to see a car on the ground being towed.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:53 PM

Other than possible chips etc, does it hurt to flat tow an automatic 2006 Crossfire behind a motor home?

Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Welcome to the forum, but for that question: Better go read the owner's manual... You do not two a car with an automatic transmission with it's rear wheels turning unless you remove the drive shaft first.

The following is not directed just at you, so don't be offended, but I WOULD like someone to answer this:

Anyway, Why would ANYONE put a car thru that? And I do NOT just mean Crossfires - every time you go around a corner, you stress the front end and front tires all to hell.

WHY WOULD YOU NOT Put the damn thing on a trailer? Seriously - what is the big deal about putting a towed car on a trailer? I mean, if it was front wheel drive, I could see a tow dolly, but a rear wheel drive car has to go on a trailer.

You can rent one at UHaul for a few dollars a day - seems to me that anyone who can afford a motor home and sports car can afford a damn trailer.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 06-30-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 AM

Hi, Pizzaguy. Since my Crossfire has a manual transmission, I cannot speak to those with automatics, except to say that, according to Remco Industries, automatic Crossfires can be towed with the aid of a lube pump. I will try to answer the rest of your questions to the best of my ability:

I choose to tow my Crossfire for the following reasons:
1. My motorhome's towing limit is 5,000 lbs. An enclosed trailer would exceed that weight, and an open trailer would come pretty close.
2. Once we arrive at a destination (or a campground on the way), it is much easier to stow the tow bar than it is to get rid of a trailer.
3. Ditto for storing a trailer at home.
4. While your assertion that "anyone who can afford a motor home and sports car can afford a damn trailer" may technically be true, I did not purchase my Crossfire or my motorhome new. When I bought my Crossfire five years ago, I paid around $16k, and my 11 year old motorhome's price was about 1/3 of what it cost new. In other words, I am NOT rich.
5. I expect fuel efficiency to be better (slightly) with a tow bar than with a trailer.
6. (most importantly) I have communicated with two owners of manual Crossfires who have towed for years with no ill-effects. There have been no unusual wearing of tires, suspension, drive trains, or anything else on their Crossfires.
7. I have never spoken with anybody who messed up their manual Crossfire by flat-towing. I expect that there are none (other than by doing something wrong).

When I have a choice between safely (imho) doing something more cheaply and more efficiently vs less cheaply and less efficiently, I will choose the former. After all, that's how I was able to afford these luxuries in the first place.

Bill

Old 07-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Well, now I understand the reasons, ... I just think it is asking for trouble. You would encounter less risk of damages of all sorts on a trailer. And a trailer and Crossfire would be under 5,000 pounds.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Well, now I understand the reasons, ... I just think it is asking for trouble. You would encounter less risk of damages of all sorts on a trailer. And a trailer and Crossfire would be under 5,000 pounds.
AND a trailer can/would have brakes !!!
Unless you are somehow connecting the XF brakes to your motor home, then you are gonna have 3300 pounds of inertia pushing you in case of a panic stop !

Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by whucker
In other words, I am NOT rich.
Oh, and one more thing: my post was not a shot at the "rich" or the successful or those who manage to save some money in their journey thru life - so don't think you need defend yourself. If you have enough to live on, enough to help others, a good family and good health - you are indeed a wealthy man.
And there is nothing wrong with that!

My point was that, if the cost of a trailer was why people do this to their cars, then they are cutting corners in the wrong places.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:57 PM

I know this is an old topic, but I have a slightly different situation. My car is tore apart right now and due to a Chrysler running production change I cannot purchase the bolts I need to finish my project, so Chrysler said to have it towed to the nearest dealer and they will fix it for me at no charge. (Im assuming because of the headache its been, but that's another story). So at this point it does not run. I assume I will not be able to muscle the dead weight car up the ramps of a trailer (no access to a winch). So, will dolly'ing it less than 5 miles hurt the car? (I assume not, but I hate to assume as well) I do not want to damage anything, but I really would hate to trust a towing company. Thoughts? I do not plan on pulling it any more or any further after this. Thanks for the input!

Old 09-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Manual or auto? The auto transmission (check your manual), I believe, does not like being spun like that.

I would not be afraid to tow the stick that far.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_X_Fire_04
I know this is an old topic, but I have a slightly different situation. My car is tore apart right now and due to a Chrysler running production change I cannot purchase the bolts I need to finish my project, so Chrysler said to have it towed to the nearest dealer and they will fix it for me at no charge. (Im assuming because of the headache its been, but that's another story). So at this point it does not run. I assume I will not be able to muscle the dead weight car up the ramps of a trailer (no access to a winch). So, will dolly'ing it less than 5 miles hurt the car? (I assume not, but I hate to assume as well) I do not want to damage anything, but I really would hate to trust a towing company. Thoughts? I do not plan on pulling it any more or any further after this. Thanks for the input!
The answer to your question is in the Owners Manual for your car.
If I had to have mine towed I would get a flat bed and have it winched up. I switch of the alarm as well.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the input. Honestly I would feel comfortable towing it a few miles (manual FYI), but just to be safe I did call a flatbed. It's safe at the dealer right now.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Related question but does the steering lock actually lock the steering gear ? I have a tow dolly and may pick up a Crossfire that is about 80 miles from home, all flat. If I put it on the dolly backwards that solves the turning driveshaft issue. I have done that with a Fiero before but it has a positive lock on the steering column to keep the wheels straight when towed backwards & just do not know if the steering on a Crossfire locks or must be tied down in some other way. (I'd add a strap regardless but feel better with a column lock).

Old 02-18-2019, 01:49 PM

Hi, asking the question again, I have a 2005 Crossfire, 6-speed manual transmission. Remco and Blueox both say that it has to be trailer towed. Has anybody been able to flat tow this car? If so, was there any concerns or problems? I would like to tow it behind our RV. Thanks.

Last edited by allwebb; 02-18-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:04 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

If you drop the driveshaft and can find a tow plate that fits, I guess it would work.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:59 AM
Administrator

You can flat tow any four wheel vehicle if you don't mind the damage it does.

What I do NOT understand, is why anyone would knowingly do this. A car hauler is not expensive and is SO easy to use. I've moved three times using a uHaul truck and car hauler; it's so easy its comical.