Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

is every thing in our power train...

Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: is every thing in our power train...

Teck-9, if you're so emotionally attached to this XF that you would not trade up to an SRT6, then I cannot understand how you are about to tear it apart, probably "f" it up, and have ongoing reliability problems. The n/a XF will still go 150mph which is fast enough to lose your license for a long time, if not kill you.

Take the advice of a lot of tuners and experienced XF drivers -- DON'T DO IT. Continue to enjoy your n/a XF and it's reliability and chick magnet appeal. Once you hack it up, value and driveability go way down. (But that makes mine more valuable!)

Talk your wealthy and gullible old man into buying you an SRT6 in rough shape and make that your science project. They can be had for $15k if you look hard enough and are willing to accept higher miles. That will be cheaper in the long run and you'll still have a classy XF to drive the rest of the time.

Oh...wait. You're 19 just like my son so you did not see a word I typed.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goldwing - I see that you have three Crossfires; nice collection. You must have a vision of how the Crossfire is going to play out in the future. You know - value, appeal, scarcity and such. What is your thinking?

Just curious.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't claim to be a visionary, but I really liked the look of the coupe at the Autoshow back in 2004. When they came out with the roadster, I decided that I wanted one. It was re-living my first convertible, a 1974 TR6, that I drove year round until it salt rotted. I made up my mind to baby this, summers only, and keep it forever. (I also have a 1977 Goldwing, hence the moniker.) I bought the SRT6 because the price was so [relatively] low that I did not want to pass up the opportunity of owning low mileage and in the same color as my roadster. I bought it with only 8400 miles. In my mind the SRT6 is a real bargain of a super-car. The 2007 was a compromise with my 19-year old in lieu of letting him get a motorcycle -- he contribiuted his m/c money and I put in the rest. Cheap investment in keeping him alive.

Will they be worth a lot...doubtful. In 40 years it won't matter since I'm 57 now. But I think they will become more rare and like some limited production cars (Bricklin, DeLorean, etc) will have a small cult following that will keep the value reasonable. Besides, I just enjoy driving them. Are they perfect - no - biut never had a car that was. These are just as close as possible at an affordable price, along with a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T MT6 with 143k that I also intend to keep a long time. I have no need of buying something new just to have new car smell or to impress someone. I think it's more impressive to drive up in a 10+ year old sports car that LOOKS brand new. Car lovers know what that means and everybody, who consider cars just transportation, doesn't matter.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldwing
I don't claim to be a visionary, but I really liked the look of the coupe at the Autoshow back in 2004. When they came out with the roadster, I decided that I wanted one. It was re-living my first convertible, a 1974 TR6, that I drove year round until it salt rotted. I made up my mind to baby this, summers only, and keep it forever. (I also have a 1977 Goldwing, hence the moniker.) I bought the SRT6 because the price was so [relatively] low that I did not want to pass up the opportunity of owning low mileage and in the same color as my roadster. I bought it with only 8400 miles. In my mind the SRT6 is a real bargain of a super-car. The 2007 was a compromise with my 19-year old in lieu of letting him get a motorcycle -- he contribiuted his m/c money and I put in the rest. Cheap investment in keeping him alive.

Will they be worth a lot...doubtful. In 40 years it won't matter since I'm 57 now. But I think they will become more rare and like some limited production cars (Bricklin, DeLorean, etc) will have a small cult following that will keep the value reasonable. Besides, I just enjoy driving them. Are they perfect - no - biut never had a car that was. These are just as close as possible at an affordable price, along with a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T MT6 with 143k that I also intend to keep a long time. I have no need of buying something new just to have new car smell or to impress someone. I think it's more impressive to drive up in a 10+ year old sports car that LOOKS brand new. Car lovers know what that means and everybody, who consider cars just transportation, doesn't matter.
I think this is how most of us feel. I can accept that this car will likely never gain much value, but what I know is that in 15-20 years I will still own a unique car that will have people gawking as they "hum" by in their "energizer bunny lithium powered" solar / plugin hybrid.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just curious as to where in MI he lives....

I got mine at 15, and yes, I wanted to make it faster like yours. Now at 20, I realize that someone is always going to be faster and it isn't worth it. Just enjoy the car and forget about everyone else.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=Goldwing] But I think they will become more rare and like some limited production cars (Bricklin, DeLorean, etc) will have a small cult following that will keep the value reasonable.

You are a prophet. I have been to the Tail of the Dragon and I have seen the cult members. I drank the cool-aid and hope to go back for more.