Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

. Is Mercedes still under the hood?

Old 11-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default . Is Mercedes still under the hood?

I haven't been to the dealer lately. For those who have bought theirs in the last two months, are the parts still stamped Mercedes.

I was talking to a guy who had the impression the crossfire was all american. I told him where the car is actually assembled. When I told him that, he had that look (shocked). He may rethink his prucahse of that Mustang now. However, I wanted to make sure the first cars out weren't only teasing me.

I am surprised that isn't a selling point of the car. I know some people are saying, "It's a Chrysler. I wouldn't buy that." But, many will run to buy that Benz! Same manufacturer; go figure. What's under the hood makes all the difference.

Could someone give me some assurance the Crossfire still has the heart of a Mercedes.

Old 11-03-2003, 12:23 PM

I can assure you that it's still all Mercedes!!! Even the serpantine belt is stamped with "Mercedes-Benz"

It's and SLK with Crossfire skin and if you read the reviews and spec.s the Crossfire body adds rigidity to the chassis.

Even the key is the standard MB "switch blade" type key.

Old 11-03-2003, 01:38 PM

First of all I'm from Europe!

What is that makes Mercedes (benz) so special in the USA? The same question goos for BMW. Is it because the market was closed (or a minor market) for many years in the USA??? Or is the marketing so HUGE...

Strange is: I purchased tail lights for my PT, it stated on the box EUROTAILLIGHTS. I did purchase them as USA look taillights on a European site. In short, here in Europe they advertice with it is made or Styled in the USA and on US site's the always ad "the Euro look". Hmmm... Is the grass always greener on the other side?

For me a Mercedes or a BMW is just onother car, without complainig because they or good cars. But everybody is driving them. I can't drive for 10min or I see an SLK. This makes that there is nothing about it anymore. And no I'm not saying the SLK is bad or whatever.

I did purchase the Crossfire because: 1) it is a good looking car 2) it is a Chrysler (I like the brand) 3) I will have to drive more then 10min to see another one 4) I think it is quality (did not have one problem with my PT)

If there was an non Mercedes engine inside I whould still buy it! My Pt has a non Mercedes engine and it is also good!

The reason why they put Mercedes parts in the Crossfire is the same as all car brands do $  and right the are! the only difference is that the Crossfire is a target "slk platform" "40% this 60% that". Journalist always write this in there review, if you read a Audi or VW review no word about it. And in fact Audi and VW use almost 100% same parts. Chrysler and Mercedes have the same connection as Audi & VW not?

Any way without the U.S. made designe the car whould not look this cool, so for me it is a GUINE Chrysler made in the USA, build in Germany.

Grtz from flanders,
Nean
ps: sry for the long post :wink:

Old 11-03-2003, 02:04 PM

I spent 6 years stationed as an Army helicopter pilot in Germany. And I can tell you that the Mercedes and the BMW are not the average run of the mill car. That would be the Opel, Ford Taunus, Citron etc. If you can't tell the difference don't waiste your money. Buy an Opel!!!

Old 11-03-2003, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by WMichaels
I spent 6 years stationed as an Army helicopter pilot in Germany. And I can tell you that the Mercedes and the BMW are not the average run of the mill car. That would be the Opel, Ford Taunus, Citron etc. If you can't tell the difference don't waiste your money. Buy an Opel!!!
Some one is :evil:
read again :lol:
Mercedes E & BMW 3 series are average, and listed in the top 15 of sales numbers in my country. SLK is NOT but I only have to drive 10min and I see one! I did not say it is bad or something but I refuse to say this the best brand there is._ Can I?

Btw you say Ford taunus > looked it up cause I did not know this model. It was sold till 1982. Now we are 20 years later... I think, I know what you mean ( /8 mercedes model).

Old 11-03-2003, 03:26 PM

I left Germany in July of 1982 when I retired from the Army. I didn't know Ford quite making it. But the Mercedes (all) were always better built and better engineered cars.

What do you call the true "Class" cars of Europe?

Besides Rolls.

Jag is nice but has always been a problematic car in the states.

Old 11-03-2003, 04:56 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by WMichaels
Jag is nice but has always been a problematic car in the states.
Used to be problematic. My dad has leased a new Vanden Plas (or Soverign as it used to be called back in the day) every 2 years for the past 20. I remember 15 years ago that the car was always in the shop for electrical problems. Since Ford bought Jaguar, the quality has drastically improved, and his last 3-4 have never once had to go back to the shop. I was never a big fan of Jaguar until he got his new 2004. What a HUGE difference that is. Damn thing is 1/2 second faster than the Crossfire in the 0-60, the body is made completely of Aluminum, it has a HUGE navigation display, TV screens in the headrests that you can watch DVDs on and 4-zone climate control. And it has a considerably nicer interior than an A8 or S-class, all for less money. I wanted him to get the XJR which is 0-60 in 5.0 seconds, but he isn't really into speed. Anyone in the market for that kind of car has got to look at what Jaguar is doing now.

Old 11-04-2003, 01:16 PM

"What do you call the true "Class" cars of Europe?
Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Donkervoort, Aston Martin, Morgan, Lotus, Marcos, Maybach, TVR, Maserati, Gillet, and a few more

Never mix up CLASS & QUALITY... some of these cars is quality 0 and verrrrrry below Mercedes. But still, CLASS.

Just to show you a lot happens in 20 years here's an opel wich I do not buy cause I love the Crossfire!

You agree WE love the Crossfire :lol:

Old 11-04-2003, 03:27 PM

That's what I thought.... You and I were talking about completely different leagues. The cars you mention are in a league all there own. And with Porche I'm sure you are talking about their extreme high end cars.

Old 11-07-2003, 06:49 PM

Thanks for ALL the information, but I was aware of the ins and outs. I was curious because an avid car lover test drove this car and did not like it. Not enough power for him. When I told him Mercedes was under the hood he went back for another drive.

True the engine can be any manufacture as long as the quality is there. Mercedes is quality in my opinion. I have an Isuzu now and love those engines (quality). Honda even put Isuzu in their SUV. But, Isuzu isn't even a BIG name really. However, their engines last quite a long time. This is my second vehicle by them. the other is an 1985 I-Mark and still runs well

I also love the Dodge Stealth. If I could find one where I am, I would buy one. I like the car and haven't heard many owners complain about them.

It is all about the quality! Just because the car is expensive, or looks good doesn't mean I will buy it.

BUT THIS CROSSFIRE LOOKS GOOD, HAS THE QUALITY, AND IS REASONABLE.

And yeah, not many on the road. UNIQUELY CLASSY.

Old 11-08-2003, 03:50 PM

Agree with you!

but somehow you proof the legend around Mercedes quote "Not enough power for him. When I told him Mercedes was under the hood he went back for another drive."

So he did drive it and he did not like it, but if the engine is mercedes he will think about it.... That is simply not fair.

But again I agree with all you where saying :lol:

And yes I admit I did buy (still waiting) the car for the looks! I have a feeling that Chrysler builds good stuff from Neon to .... so the mechanical part will be OK. And do not get me wrong I'm also happy there is and Mercedes engine under the hood but not a MUST BE thing for me.

Did I say I agree with you? :lol: :lol:

Greetz from closer to the place where the car is build, than you!
Nean

Old 11-10-2003, 01:08 PM

Yeah Nean, that is unfair. Everyone has a different reason for buying. He is an odd fellow anyway.

YES.... I am buying it PARTLY because of the look too. I will confess!!!!!