Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Powerchip Upgrade to my X-Fire

Old 11-20-2003, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerchip Upgrade to my X-Fire

After talking with the Powerchip people for over an hour on the phone I decided to try the upgrade. The cost: $690. Removal of the ECU was simplistic and will be in the mail tomorrow. Since it will be over the weekend I will not receive the upgraded ECU until Tuesday afternoon. I will post a review of the improvements. For those interested I chose the Powerchip Gold93 version of the upgrade. It has a 3 year warranty and a 14 day moneyback guarrantee if I don't note any improvements.

Old 11-20-2003, 08:28 PM

I can't wait to hear the results!!!
Have they said what kind of improvement to expect? Like....How much hp and torque improvement?

Old 11-20-2003, 08:53 PM

21 Hp and 22 ft-lbs of torque is what is advertised. If I can find the graph that they sent me electronically I will attach it to another post.

Old 11-20-2003, 08:58 PM

I'm posting the image in my gallery of the graph supplied by Powerchip.[/img]

Old 11-20-2003, 09:47 PM
kusheen
Default curious

Rob,

I'm real curious to see what kind of results you get. If I could get a legit increase of 20hp for $640 without compromising emissions, since Maryland is pretty strict with that, I'd look into it. What does the vendor say about emissions?

I was told the RennTech chip voids the DC warranty, assuming the Powerchip does as well.

Once you get it, I'd like to meet you somewhere...maybe get a ride to experience your gain?

Todd

Old 11-20-2003, 10:06 PM
kusheen
Default why not DC?

Just took a look at the Powerchip web site.

Rob...you said removal of the chip was simplistic, but PowerChip says in the Xfire it requires desoldering and they recommend a PowerChip authorized shop do it. Did you do it yourself?

The PC site says that the additional power may be subtle, and that it may take a couple of weeks to notice it. In this case, though, it's a 10% increase in HP, one would think that unlike the RennTech 10hp increase, a 10 PERCENT increase would be somewhat obvious.

If these chips increased performance 10% simply by putting down less than a grand, AND because one of the knocks against the Crossfire is it's underpower, why would DC not offer such a chip as an option/aftermarket item to current buyers/owners? They could make a buck, build customer relationships.

Certainly they have the technology to create these chips as easily as anyone.

At 236 hp, it would be right there with the RX8, and with it's weight advantage and better mid range grunt it would seemingly close the gap between it and the 350Z.

Are these chips for real? They seem too good to be true!

Rob, we're ALL waiting to see what your results are. If, for $640 bucks, you get a noticeable increase of performance that feels like 20hp, I bet a lot of folks here make the call next week!

Old 11-20-2003, 10:15 PM

I am also waiting to hear...I did the Flash RennTech deal and it is a "Subtle" increase. One thing...the RennTech upgrade is not detectable by dealership and won't void your warranty if you don't mention it. If thing are taken apart and soldered, would there not be a risk of a warranty problem? Thanks to all.

Old 11-20-2003, 10:21 PM

There is no de-soldering of the chip. The instructions come from Powerchip for removing the entire ECU. In front of the Passenger side at the Firewall is the long black fuse console which has the wire harnesses and the ECU unit. Unplug the 5 wire harnesses from the unit and push 2 clips aside and the unit slides right up out of the holder.
I spoke with 2 people at Powerchip and they stated that the performance increase was noticeable (especially with the 93 octane). I will give you an honest opinion as I have taken the average acceleration time for my car over 10 consecutive starts from 0 - 60 (close to 7.1 seconds was the average). Best time was right around 6.7. I will go through the same routine after the ECU is returned and give everyone an honest opinion. If it is NOT noticeable....it is going back.
Powerchip also states that the modifications are invisible to the dealer.

Old 11-20-2003, 10:25 PM

Thank you....

Old 11-20-2003, 11:08 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by Rwright2
21 Hp and 22 ft-lbs of torque is what is advertised. If I can find the graph that they sent me electronically I will attach it to another post.
On the dyno sheet it shows a stock Crossfire having 177 and the one with the chip has 185. That graph is for a Powerchip 91. Yours is a 93. Do you really think an extra 2 octane will give it 13 more hp?

Old 11-21-2003, 07:03 AM

Their data sheets on-line reflect HP at the crank. The sheet that I put in my album is the dyno graph at the wheels.
I can't answer more than that...as I am not an expert. I'll just let you know how it performs.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:52 PM

AND THE ANSWER IS .......

Not yet :P Sorry :twisted:
The ECU is in the FEDEX mail. I should have it by tomorrow evening.
Stay tuned...no pun intended.
Kusheen...don't know whether you got my email but within the next 14 days after I receive it you and I have to meet to see what you think. We'll do some tests.. :wink: :twisted:

Old 11-24-2003, 07:08 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Damn, I was hoping to hear some good news. I am really considering an ECU upgrade, but want to hear some impressions first. Post as SOON as you get back from your first test drive!

Old 11-24-2003, 10:04 PM
kusheen
Default robert...

Check your email...I didn't get yours. By all means drop a line when you get your chip installed. I look forward to checking out your car and that power chip. If it gives a little extra kick that I can feel, I'll probably go the same route...

TLB Kusheen

Old 11-25-2003, 05:41 PM

Got it via FEDEX a little while ago. Popped it in and the car started...1 for 1 so far :lol: . Went out for a drive but did not time it yet. Did note shifting was a little higher in the RPM range and the pushback in the seat was a little more dramatic. The truth will be when I meet up with Kusheen or any other Crossfire driver in the Northern VA. area.

I will post the timings probably tomorrow after I drive it a bit.
So far I'm happy!

Old 11-25-2003, 06:46 PM

Great!!! Can't wait to hear the results.

Old 11-25-2003, 07:59 PM
Forum Regular

If anyone in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area is considering this mod, I would like to hook up my data logger to monitor timing advance and o2 voltage for air to fuel measurements.

I'm curious to see if they are just leaning out the fuel / air mixture and increasing timing.

It would also be nice to see if timing is being pulled in taller gears as the load is increased. Some of these "ecu" upgrade companies only lean out the air fuel mixture, which makes the first few gears a little more aggressive, however in taller gears you start to lean out, knock, and down the road "boom".

The only other thing to consider, is it will over ride the ecu's ability to control the drive by wire features. Instead of pulling back timing at WOT, just letting the driver control it better.

I'm curious how this device actually works.

Anyone know?

Old 11-25-2003, 08:37 PM

OH MAN!!!

I'd say she is slightly more peppy!!! I definitely notice the change. Couldn't wait for tomorrow to try my 10 acceleration runs 0-60 so I did them this evening.
Now lets remember that this is not exact since I was doing it both times by myself with a stopwatch....
Stock
Average time 7.1 seconds Fastest time 6.7
Post Modification
Average time 6.75 seconds Fastest time 6.4

I know some of you are going to say .35 seconds...NO WAY!! Well I tried my best to make it an even test. The only way to really test it would be to go against another Crossfire.

Old 11-25-2003, 08:40 PM
Forum Regular

Why not do it in a safe environment? 1/4 mile track will give you all the necessary information you need.

I'm sure you can find someone with stock 1/4 mile results.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:58 AM

I don't know where a 1/4 mile track is in the N. VA area. Anyone out there no of one and how to contact them to do a run?

Quick Reply: Powerchip Upgrade to my X-Fire