Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Dealer using different oil in oil change

Old 11-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer using different oil in oil change

Went to local Chrysler dealer this week for a oil change, 2005 Crossfire Limited, they used Pennzoil European Formula, SAE 5W-40 Synthetic, not the Mobile 0w-40, stating that Chrysler had upgraded to this new oil rating? Any comments, good or bad?
Remfire

Old 11-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Dealer using different oil in oil change

Dealerships in KC area changed to something like that, supposedly MB 229.5 has been changed.....so I called a MB dealership & asked what oil they would use if I brought in an SLK320. They said Mobil 1 0W-40. They had not been informed as to any MB recommendation changes???

How much did the oil change at the dealership cost?

Old 11-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always baffled me why in this day of multi viscosity oils they would choose a straight 40. I figured they had some good reason and want my receipts to reflect that I stayed with the program, but it doesn't set well with me.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Max
It's always baffled me why in this day of multi viscosity oils they would choose a straight 40. I figured they had some good reason and want my receipts to reflect that I stayed with the program, but it doesn't set well with me.
Explain yourself please.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Forum Regular

I just had my oil changed at the dealership up here in Minnesota, and they put in the Pennzoil 5W-40. There is a bulletin from Chrysler saying that this is OK. In the owners manual, it states that Mobil 1 is preferred, but any oil that meets the MB229.3 or 5 standard is OK. I was charged $130, but I got a $10 Target gift card in the mail afterword. Bottom line, it cost me $120. This was for the first oil change. I think you're OK with the Pennzoil.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:12 PM

they charge $125.00, and used 81/2 qt of oil,

Old 11-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Forum Regular

$125 ouch! I'm picking up 9 qts of Mobile 1 0W-40 tomorrow on sale for $3.98 from Pep Boys (a shout out to Texas T for the tip).

Old 11-27-2009, 04:10 AM

Sure one eighty, I'm just overly paranoid that someday, God forbid, I blow my little blower motor up, Some yeehaw is going to tell me that it was because I used a non recommended oil viscosity. We know that would be total crap but law school trains us to think that way to avoid future problems even if there is a small probability of them occurring. I change my own oil and my receipts are proof that I did it, and that did it right.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just had my double wrench service done at the Chrysler factory service center that works on company cars and they used 5W-40 synthetic oil. Explanation was that MB nows allows either 0W or 5W-40 to be used and meets their 229.5 spec.

If you search bobistheoilguy.com, you'll see some discussions that Pennzoil European Formula 5W-40 is preferred over Mobil 1.

Don't think you'll go wrong with either.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Max
Who chose a straight 40 weight oil?

The oil that was originally recommended in the Crossfire, along with just about every high end German car is 0W-40 oil, typically made by Mobil. That is a MULTIGRADE oil weight.

When the oil is very cold, it flows like a 0 weight oil.
When the oil is very hot, it flows like a 40 weight oil.

If you are using straight 40 weight oil in your car, you are the one messing it up.

Also, right in the owners manual, it clearly states that any synthetic engine oil, as long as it meets the MB 229.3 or 229.5 standards, can be used in the engine.

This standard includes 0W-40 and 5W-40 oils.
When you look at the engine oil bottle, it will typically say right on there if it meets one of the standards. If not, pull up the product data sheets on the oil company's website, and see if its listed there.

Here's Pennzoil's website:

Pennzoil - Not just oil, Pennzoil

You will notice under Key Benefits, it lists that their European Formula oil comes in a 5W 40 formula, and meets the MB 229.5 and MB 229.51 standards.

Here's Quaker State's Q Horsepower Ultimate Durability oil:

Quaker State Home

Their 5W-40 oil meets the MB 229.5 standard.

Castrol Syntec 5W-40:

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...syntec_usa.pdf

It meets the older MB 229.3 and 229.1 standards.

Kendall® GT-1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, SAE 5W-40:

http://www.conocophillipslubricants....0TDS%20Web.pdf

This one meets MB 229.5 standard.

Hopefully you are starting to get my point.

Personally, I would look for any oil meeting the 229.5 standard, as it's the most recent one, and use whatever oil I like the best from its advertising, as they are all going to perform just about the same under the normal 7k mile oil change interval.

BC.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:15 PM

Thanks for all of the replies,I know that standards change, just didn't get a good feel from the dealer, it's not a big deal to change the oil yourself, but dumping the old oil, etc, need to find a do it yourself facility and do it there. Winter time is coming, and I don't drive this car in the snow or ice, stays in the garage.Next oil change will be next summer, or fall.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I run Mobil1 0W-40 in my roadster, which has the extended warranty, because the dealer said I had to. Do I believe him -- not really -- but it's not worth arguing and he lets me bring my own oil, which cuts the price to $25. I use 5 quarts Mobil1 0W-30 and the rest 0W-40 in my other Crossfires (I can get the 5 qts for $22 from Walmart, and a local indie does my oil changes.) All cars are low mileage, not raced, and I change the oil annually.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
Who chose a straight 40 weight oil?...
BC.
That was what I wanted to know, I never saw SAE 40 mentioned anywhere.
From the AMSOIL web site;
OK . . .What does a 5W-30 do that an SAE 30 won't?
When you see a W on a viscosity rating it means that this oil viscosity has been tested at a Colder temperature. The numbers without the W are all tested at 210° F or 100° C which is considered an approximation of engine operating temperature. In other words, a SAE 30 motor oil is the same viscosity as a 10w-30 or 5W-30 at 210° (100° C). The difference is when the viscosity is tested at a much colder temperature. For example, a 5W-30 motor oil performs like a SAE 5 motor oil would perform at the cold temperature specified, but still has the SAE 30 viscosity at 210° F (100° C) which is engine operating temperature. This allows the engine to get quick oil flow when it is started cold verses dry running until lubricant either warms up sufficiently or is finally forced through the engine oil system. The advantages of a low W viscosity number is obvious. The quicker the oil flows cold, the less dry running. Less dry running means much less engine wear.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-27-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

right on 180, good explaination...I am partial to Mobil, because they were one of the first to develop their synthetic, and having a buddy who works as an engineer for them didn't hurt either. I used Kendall in the old days with great success, having been into those old chevy motors often. Working, as a kid, at a gas station that did overhauls, well, you would see all kinds of engines, some clean, some crudded up. Quaker State, Pennsoil wouldn't have gotten my vote back then. Like everything else, they all get better. I'll stay with Mobil 1 just because I am familiar with all the testing they have done over the yrs with their product. Not sure what the others have done, so I go with what I know...

Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Remfire, you are my neighbor, sort of...welcome aboard.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Red face Re: Dealer using different oil in oil change

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
Who chose a straight 40 weight oil?

The oil that was originally recommended in the Crossfire, along with just about every high end German car is 0W-40 oil, typically made by Mobil. That is a MULTIGRADE oil weight.

When the oil is very cold, it flows like a 0 weight oil.
When the oil is very hot, it flows like a 40 weight oil.

If you are using straight 40 weight oil in your car, you are the one messing it up.

Also, right in the owners manual, it clearly states that any synthetic engine oil, as long as it meets the MB 229.3 or 229.5 standards, can be used in the engine.

This standard includes 0W-40 and 5W-40 oils.
When you look at the engine oil bottle, it will typically say right on there if it meets one of the standards. If not, pull up the product data sheets on the oil company's website, and see if its listed there.

Here's Pennzoil's website:

Pennzoil - Not just oil, Pennzoil

You will notice under Key Benefits, it lists that their European Formula oil comes in a 5W 40 formula, and meets the MB 229.5 and MB 229.51 standards.

Here's Quaker State's Q Horsepower Ultimate Durability oil:

Quaker State Home

Their 5W-40 oil meets the MB 229.5 standard.

Castrol Syntec 5W-40:

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...syntec_usa.pdf

It meets the older MB 229.3 and 229.1 standards.

Kendall® GT-1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, SAE 5W-40:

http://www.conocophillipslubricants....0TDS%20Web.pdf

This one meets MB 229.5 standard.

Hopefully you are starting to get my point.

Personally, I would look for any oil meeting the 229.5 standard, as it's the most recent one, and use whatever oil I like the best from its advertising, as they are all going to perform just about the same under the normal 7k mile oil change interval.

BC.
Thanks my friend, I use 0-40. My error was in thinking it was a mono viscosity oil.