Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

re-charged battery...will not run???

Old 03-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-charged battery...will not run???

Is there a trick to get my 05' to run after I re-charged the dead battery? The recharged battery cranks the engine just fine and the engine starts but almost immediately the engine dies??? It will chrank and start two to three times then acts like the battery is dead. If I disconnect the battery cable then reattach the cable then the engine will crank two or three times , start and immediately die. VERY FRUSTRATING...Help!

Old 03-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: re-charged battery...will not run???

If it's an 05, it's time for a new battery. Trust me, been there.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
If it's an 05, it's time for a new battery. Trust me, been there.
trust him...these little cars are voltage sensitive...replace the battery. Probably has a dead cell in it...voltage controls the throttle, and just about every other sensor in the car....so, either let her charge for awhile before starting, or replace the battery...if you charge it overnight and still have the problem....replace the battery...

Old 03-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

Many of the newer cars have electronics that won't tolerate a weak voltage.
Not just our Crossfires. My Benzes would actually think they were stolen if the battery was weak. Try driving one to a garage in that condition. Horn blaring, flashers going, and the brakes coming on.

The old days of nursing a weak old battery are gone.
If it totaly discharged it will likely never charge to full again.
It is four years old and frankly undersized for the job.

Get a new one.

A when that doesn't fix it, I'm sure a bunch of other "experts" will have some free, but expensive, advice for ya'.

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 03-07-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Ditto all of the above.
Get a new battery.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:06 PM

Sell me the car its totalled........WHAT! I also didnt wanna say it was the battery....sounds like a broken record lol Yea dude its the battery.....

Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Default Re: Inc -a do's battery

Okay folks I appriciated your advice so much that I went ahead an installed a new battery in my 05'. However, the result did not change. The car starts and immediately dies. It will chrank and start twice then die. It will only crank two times then nothing!!! acts like the battery is dead. If I disconnect the battery then reconnect the battery it will cnank two more times then start then die!!! Good grief this is really frustrating. Any ideas besides call for the hook?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Curious if it is a security issue. Did you try with a second key? James

Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
Curious if it is a security issue. Did you try with a second key? James
James...yes, tried both keys...same result,

Old 03-09-2010, 09:56 PM

Is it charging?...seems like it dies to soon to be a charging issue though hummm do you have a multimeter and can test the alt and see if its putting out the correct ammount of juice with its running for the few seconds.....I doubt this is it though but its worth a shot...Im sure more people will chime in

Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 PM

This is different.

You need fuel, spark and air to run.

My first guess is fuel. If it were my car I'd shoot some starting fluid/carb cleaner down the throttle body while someone starts the car. If it continues to run as long as you are spraying then it's most likely a fuel delivery problem.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
This is different.

You need fuel, spark and air to run.

My first guess is fuel. If it were my car I'd shoot some starting fluid/carb cleaner down the throttle body while someone starts the car. If it continues to run as long as you are spraying then it's most likely a fuel delivery problem.
Back in the OLD days it was fuel air spark now theres so many darn electronics that its not that simple lol ...

Old 03-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I would start with a fuel pressure gauge to see what is happening.

Maybe someone can chime in on the symptoms of the Relay Control Module defect. Crankshaft sensor?

James

Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have any icons lit up on your dash when you do get it to run? I would be willing to bet that you have thrown an error code that will isolate the problem. Do you know anyone that has an OBDII reader that you can borrow?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by chevyboyac
Back in the OLD days it was fuel air spark now theres so many darn electronics that its not that simple lol ...
Could be that simple.
You gotta start somewhere to narrow the problem down.

I thought about the RCM/Crank Sensor but don't understand why he has the "two crank" limit before he has to reset everything.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Inc -a do's battery

Originally Posted by inc-a-do
Okay folks I appriciated your advice so much that I went ahead an installed a new battery in my 05'. However, the result did not change. The car starts and immediately dies. It will chrank and start twice then die. It will only crank two times then nothing!!! acts like the battery is dead. If I disconnect the battery then reconnect the battery it will cnank two more times then start then die!!! Good grief this is really frustrating. Any ideas besides call for the hook?
Well, I didn't want to tell you the "rest of the story". But when my car did EXACTLY the same thing yours is doing, it had a battery that wasn't holding a full charge, so the dealer replaced it under warranty.
Oh, (I almost forgot) after having my car in the dealers service department for nearly two months (and replacing practically everything they could) it still wouldn't run for more than a couple seconds then it would quit.
Well a vey good service tech figured it out, and it turned out to be the muffler was totally plugged up with a forign substance. A mouse decided to store his winter supply of dog food in my muffler while I had my car parked for 4 months.
But I'm sure lighting couldn't strike twice.
Possibly "Sentry Key Remote Entry Module"....(aka) "SKREEM" Along the lines James1549 mentioned.
Don't worry about wasting money on the battery....that was still money well spent. My battery died 4 years after the car was built.

Last edited by +fireamx; 03-09-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 550 Likes on 462 Posts

My best guess is the starter solenoid if there are no other sounds. The disconnection and reconnection time may be enough for the solenoid to cool down and operate.
No noise would indicate that the starter is not getting any power, going back up the line we would first come to the solenoid that connects the power to the motor, if the starter was getting power I would expect to here shaft moving forward.
Edit
Reading the repair manual I see that there is a system that prevents the starter from being used while the engine is running. Is it possible that the PCM thinks that the engine is running and prevents the operation of the starter again? Disconnecting the battery resets the PCM and it allows the starter to be used again until the PCM receives another signal that the engine is running.
That would leave the question what is it that tells the PCM that the engine is running when in fact it is not. If this sensor or whatever is stuck saying the engine is running then the whole problem may lie with it being at fault and causing the problem. I'll look for this sensor or whatever.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-12-2010 at 04:20 PM.