Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Hooniverse article about the Crossfire

Old 03-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hooniverse article about the Crossfire

Good read ten characters BLAH

Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow...A lot of those people knocking it should have driven them first. At the prices today, they are the best bang for the buck indeed.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 PM

Something looks familiar with that hood......trounced by a Grand Marquis ...huh.

Yes, I have ran with him a few times last year with CDC. I could have sworn it was a souped up SRT6 model though, and runs R compound tires on the stock rims. Or shaved summer tires. Not really sure.

He is not very quick though, I had no problem trouncing him by seconds with my stock Grand Marquis with 17x8 cobra wheels and cooper zeon street tires.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3586/...051548b8db.jpg

Old 03-10-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 70GT6
Something looks familiar with that hood......trounced by a Grand Marquis ...huh.

Yes, I have ran with him a few times last year with CDC. I could have sworn it was a souped up SRT6 model though, and runs R compound tires on the stock rims. Or shaved summer tires. Not really sure.

He is not very quick though, I had no problem trouncing him by seconds with my stock Grand Marquis with 17x8 cobra wheels and cooper zeon street tires.

That statement cracked me up , Marquis LOL just jealousy

Old 03-10-2010, 10:02 PM

So mine will be worth $250,000 in 30 years?

Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

(It was a slightly detuned version of the SLK's AMC motor.)

You guys just had to know I'd jump on this.hahahahah......

Old 03-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Beep
So mine will be worth $250,000 in 30 years?
pshh mine's an SRT-6 so it'll be worth $2.5 Million

Old 03-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
pshh mine's an SRT-6 so it'll be worth $2.5 Million
How about selling it to me right now for 2 million?

Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Forum Regular

Articles like this kill me. Everyone hating yet they have no clue or personal experience.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
How about selling it to me right now for 2 million?
Sold, and I don't accept monopoly money

Old 03-11-2010, 01:48 AM

This is one funny quote....take a good look at the picture linked. I think that is Woody's ride (check the hood). I am REALLY SURE this knucklehead trounced Woody with his stock Grand Marquis! NOT!

Originally Posted by 70GT6

Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have no clue what they're missing. But then again, it's typical of Americans in particular to look for validation from others before they accept their own feelings. I like being different, and alot of times I'll even pay a premium to do it. in this case I got a heckuva discount to do so, and that increases my value immensely.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:57 AM

Yeah..... severly doubt woody took a licking from a grand marquis...

they just couldn't stand getting beat up on by a "product of a doomed marriage"

Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 AM

BTW, I don't know if anybody noticed, but the first pic in the article was a yellow roadster, with a german beauty as the pilot. Now we know what our very own Kimpossible really does for a living!!!!!! Way to go Kim!

Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Despite many of us saying that the car has excellent handling, I personally think we have to concede that point. The SRT-6 springs are too harsh, and the shocks aren't well-matched, so we end up with a harsh ride that doesn't necessarily translate into better handling. Whenever I take a hard turn, the car feels skittish and hesitant, and the open diff in the back along with the invasive traction control means it's tough to manhandle and rotate the car the way you want it to. A lot of people define handling as how comfortable and willing the car is when you push it hard (i.e., how easy it is to drive a car hard), and on that definition, I believe the xFire is adequate, at best. That said, I'm a believer in the muscle-car old-school definition of handling, which is ultimate grip. IMO, if your car doesn't require the Stig's brass cajones to truly maximize its potential, and if it isn't trying to kill you at least once every other day, then it's a pretty wimpy car (sadly, Toyota's recent inclusion in that group has me rethinking that definition).

Also, one thing that's heavily overlooked is the MASSIVE low-end torque that you get once you open up the intake manifold on the SRT-6. You don't see that reflected on any simple peak hp/torque spec numbers that get called out in armchair racing. V8-embarassing torque is why I love my SRT-6.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 PM

Overall, I have to disagree with you. While firm, the ride is not what I would call harsh. There are sections of freeway in SoCal that can be a little rough but that has more to do with the short wheelbase. I drove an old Z3 over those same roads and thought the car would wind up off the side of the road. My Z4 did much better (a 2.5 with standard suspension) but my SRT6 is better by far (and I have had it since it had 700 miles on it).

The Crossfire (and SRT6) were doomed by the testers from the beginning. I think it has something to do with the "hand-me-down" beginnings from the SLK.

I have driven Willow Springs, the Streets of Willow Springs and the interior road course at the California Speedway. With the traction control engaged, you can't get very aggressive at all. With it off you can get sideways quickly (personal experience). I was personally able to humble my share of M3s, Miatas, 350Zs, Corvettes, even a RUFF Porsche (the driver was new to the car). I am not the best driver, but not too shabby either.

When people start about the handling/performance, I just referr them to the following Road and Track story, where they compared a Nismo 350Z S tune and a Porsche Boxter S to a stock SRT6. Reading through the article you would swear the SRT6 was going to come in last, but in the end to their surprise there was only one "bad-boy" standing when the tests and dust cleared, the SRT6.

Read for yourself and enjoy...Hot Sixes - Article - Road and Track

Originally Posted by DesertFox
Despite many of us saying that the car has excellent handling, I personally think we have to concede that point. The SRT-6 springs are too harsh, and the shocks aren't well-matched, so we end up with a harsh ride that doesn't necessarily translate into better handling. Whenever I take a hard turn, the car feels skittish and hesitant, and the open diff in the back along with the invasive traction control means it's tough to manhandle and rotate the car the way you want it to. A lot of people define handling as how comfortable and willing the car is when you push it hard (i.e., how easy it is to drive a car hard), and on that definition, I believe the xFire is adequate, at best. That said, I'm a believer in the muscle-car old-school definition of handling, which is ultimate grip. IMO, if your car doesn't require the Stig's brass cajones to truly maximize its potential, and if it isn't trying to kill you at least once every other day, then it's a pretty wimpy car (sadly, Toyota's recent inclusion in that group has me rethinking that definition).

Also, one thing that's heavily overlooked is the MASSIVE low-end torque that you get once you open up the intake manifold on the SRT-6. You don't see that reflected on any simple peak hp/torque spec numbers that get called out in armchair racing. V8-embarassing torque is why I love my SRT-6.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
With the traction control engaged, you can't get very aggressive at all. With it off you can get sideways quickly (personal experience).
Sorry for getting a little off-topic, but do you mean just by turning the TC button off, or by taking out fuses, etc., to disable the yaw sensor? I, for the life of me, can't get the back end of the car out of line by more than a few degrees, even with the TC button off.

Also, nice read.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by DesertFox

Despite never having driven a SRT-6 (I have an '04 6-speed) I have driven a 2003 SLK32 AMG and I can tell you that while, IMHO the Mercedes might look better because of the AMG trim package, the car does not handle nearly as well as my 04 Ltd and it's ride it much, much rougher. Acceleration in the Mercedes didn't impress me much either (I realize it's heavier than the SRT-6) but I swear my little coupe would eat it up off the line.
I regularly do freeway off ramps (and street and highway cornering) at much, much more than the posted speed and my little unit has never offered as much as a twitch, regardless of how antiquated it's steering and suspension system is supposed to be. Again, I haven't actually driven an SRT-6 so I can't speak directly to your points, however...

Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stripes
Despite never having driven a SRT-6 (I have an '04 6-speed) I have driven a 2003 SLK32 AMG and I can tell you that while, IMHO the Mercedes might look better because of the AMG trim package, the car does not handle nearly as well as my 04 Ltd and it's ride it much, much rougher. Acceleration in the Mercedes didn't impress me much either (I realize it's heavier than the SRT-6) but I swear my little coupe would eat it up off the line.
I regularly do freeway off ramps (and street and highway cornering) at much, much more than the posted speed and my little unit has never offered as much as a twitch, regardless of how antiquated it's steering and suspension system is supposed to be. Again, I haven't actually driven an SRT-6 so I can't speak directly to your points, however...
Likewise, I haven't driven an SLK32, so I can't compare too much, although I'm guessing the Mercs may have been setup to feel less aggressive (since rough and raw usually don't equate with luxury). But just like stated in the article linked in the previous post, subjective feel and real performance numbers don't always match up (they said the xFire felt slower in the corners and didn't handle as well, despite it having a better lap time).

Also, one odd thing to me is that MSN Autos lists the SRT-6 coupe at 3240 lbs, and the SLK32 at 3220 lbs. I've always wondered why having a fixed roof somehow made the SRT6 heavier. But who knows, either there's more government-mandated safety equipment, or those numbers aren't accurate...

Quick Reply: Hooniverse article about the Crossfire