Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Performance/Tuning from stock

Old 03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance/Tuning from stock

I’m buying a 2005 Crossfire coupe on Saturday from my dad. He has 2 and I’ve finally convinced him to let me buy one of them after 2 years of nagging. Since I’ve had the plans to buy the car I’ve been on this site approximately 5 times a day and you all seem very knowledgeable. I’ve been working with tuning cars and adding performance parts since I was 12. I’ve rebuilt 4, 6, and 8 cylinder engines, put in superchargers, turbos, and nitrous, and worked on/ built up anything from a Honda Civic to a 1 ton Dually. The one thing I haven’t done though is taken a performance vehicle that already rocks and made it better. My question is essentially, what have you all done to your Crossfires and where should I start? What issues does the crossfire have that can be upgraded right away so I have no need to worry? Whether it be an ECU, Air Intake, Exhaust, Piston springs, what do you all suggest?

Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Performance/Tuning from stock

Is it a N/A or an SRT6?

If it's an N/A I would suggest looking into anything from TVT...I just sold my N/A and had the TVT 265 kit installed prior...it's absolutely amazing. When working on these cars, you will bleed money, but it's worth it. Sometimes I miss my SRT4 for the price of parts, but the satisfaction of the permagrin is just amazing.

Personally depending on your budget I'd start (if I had to do it all over again):
-Eibach lowering springs
-CAI (either needswings or anything from TVT)
-KYB or Koni shocks (you may want to do this at the same time as your springs to save trouble)
-Then save up for an engine tune with larger injectors

This should have you right around 260 or so crank hp
Also, if you want to really help things out, gut your trunk, can shave a LOT of weight off, put on some dynamat and its just as quiet

Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 PM

"Personally depending on your budget I'd start (if I had to do it all over again):
-Eibach lowering springs
-CAI (either needswings or anything from TVT)
-KYB or Koni shocks (you may want to do this at the same time as your springs to save trouble)
-Then save up for an engine tune with larger injectors"

Where can you get all this stuff from?? Mostly interested in the injectors and CAI.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pretty standard stuff for a normally aspirated Crossfire are:
Cold Air Intake
Injectors
ECU Tune

TVT Design sells a couple kits that basically combine those things. Or you can part it out separately.

Also, it's always a good idea to put in some quality high temp brake fluid and stainless steel brake lines. Not that the XF brakes are bad. It's just a good idea to do to any car you intend on driving hard.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by tom2112
The pretty standard stuff for a normally aspirated Crossfire are:
Cold Air Intake
Injectors
ECU Tune

TVT Design sells a couple kits that basically combine those things. Or you can part it out separately.

Also, it's always a good idea to put in some quality high temp brake fluid and stainless steel brake lines. Not that the XF brakes are bad. It's just a good idea to do to any car you intend on driving hard.
Yeah that's very true. I've been looking into all of these things. Once I get some cash built up I'm going to drive down to Eurocharged which is about 3 hours from where I am to see what we can do. I'm thinking of going with a 3" single CAI seeing as how it will give me almost the same amount of power for a fraction of the price. Plus I've heard that the dual CAI setups can have turbulence unless you spend the money to do it right. I figure I'll beef up my my injectors and plugs and get a solid tune at Euro. After that I'm gonna do some brake work. I didn't even think about the high temp brake fluid so thanks for reminding me but I was going to go stainless. I was also planning on going with some Rotex Gold pads. Outside of that I'll probably just get the Meghan Racing M-RS exhaust and then go for looks. Get a nice tint all the way around a small lip on the front, black mesh grill, and black out the rims. I've seen a couple sexy looking blacked out Crossfires and I love it.

After all of that is done I'm probably going to be done modding it except for maybe the sprint booster and some adjustments to the rev limiter. I plan on just doing some tasteful modifications and getting the full potential out of this glorious machine.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:57 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you've got a great plan, and that you've got it covered. Enjoy the ride!