Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Left Coast Hook-up

Old 03-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"VegasCrossfire :shock: AZ you do mean MAY 15th - right??? :lol:
May 15th... sorry my mistake. ops: ops: ops:

Old 03-03-2004, 04:58 PM

diane,

We did the "Ontario" to "Monterey" thing in one very long day stopping along the way for pictures and a tour of Hearst Castle. Left Ontario at 0600 and pulled into Monterey after nightfall. We did not stop for a sit down lunch.

We're flexiable... what ever everyone one wants to do is fine with me. My wife and I are in no hurry as we're off the entire week. Vegas Crossfire was interested and will be driving out from LV and needs to head home Sunday.

Keep us posted or if anyone has more inputs post it and we'll figure something out for everyone. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Old 03-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by diane
5/15: 8am Leave from Santa Monica (7am?).
2pm lunch in Cambria (a quaint town just south of Hearst Castle).
Late in the day tour of Hearst Castle for those who want to check it out.
Spend the night in Cambria (there are number of hotels on Moonstone Beach Drive that cater to a range of budgets).
5/16: 9am breakfast in Cambria
Drive north to Big Sur
12 noon lunch in Big Sur
(on your own from there)

I'm up for the caravan idea, but there might be folks who join/end at different places. Between our cell phones, and a general idea of meeting in Santa Monica at 8am, Cambria at 1pm, and Big Sur at noon, we all should be able to find each other along with way, without cramping anyone's schedule.

What do you think?
Diane - It AZ's trip - but I agree with your schedule. I feel this really gives us a little more time - and also some time for "visiting" each other.

AZ - any way your plans can be altered? :?:

Old 03-03-2004, 05:03 PM

:lol: Well - I see AZ replied as I was replying. This schedule looks great to me. Let's GO !! :lol:

Old 03-03-2004, 05:14 PM

I'm open to any plans. It sounds like the only thing on your itinerary that is certain is a tour of Hearst Castle. Why don't you figure out when you'd like to be there (order the tickets), and then we can all plan to meet there at the end of your tour, and then drive up north to the southern end of Big Sur and get together with Reg and the folks from Northern Cal for dinner/snack (whatever is appropriate at the time). Depending on your Castle tour time, maybe there's a good time/place south of Santa Barbara to gather for those who don't want to go all the way up the coast but do want to caravan for a little while.

Once you kind of put together that itinerary, we can see who wants to join us for which part of the ride and see if there's even a need to plan much more than the Hearst Castle meet and the Big Sur meet.

Good thing is that there's plenty of time to decide.

Old 03-03-2004, 08:54 PM

diane,

We've decided to take Hwy 1 home later in the week (never did it north to south). We'll do the Hurst Castle thing then. All we need is a starting place in LA and we'll make the drive north.

Old 03-04-2004, 12:06 AM

In that case, then let's see who prefers to join us when and maybe group size will help make some timing decisions:

ROLL CALL EVERYONE: Please pull out your maps and tell us where you are most likely to join the caravan, and where you are most likely to leave the caravan at these main destinations on Saturday, May 15:

:arrow: 1. Santa Monica, Highway 1...next stretch is along coast thru Malibu...very pretty.

:arrow: 2. Oxnard/Ventura, Highway 1 and 101 join here...next stretch is along ocean up through Santa Barbara...should be green (or brown in a heat wave) rolling hills.

:arrow: 3. Gaviota just above Santa Barbara, Highway 101 where it just veers inland (we'll figure out later if we want to drive on the 1 or the 101 across the Lompoc Penninsula...neither is along beach...1 is rural, and 101 is more of a straight shot).

:arrow: 4. Arroyo Grande back where the 1 and 101 join up again. Next stretch is Pismo Beach and San Luis Obispo on the 101 and then it splits back to the 1 down to Morro Bay.

:arrow: 5. Cambria (Hearst Castle) on Highway 1. This begins some of the most beautiful coastal driving...virtually on a cliff overlooking the ocean all the way up to Big Sur.

:arrow: 6. Big Sur on Highway 1. Not too far south of Carmel and Monterey, Reg can tell us where the most scenic stop might be. The famous "17 mile drive" would top off the trip if done during daylight hours.

:arrow: 7. Monterey on Highway 1. From here, it's easy to cut back to the 101 for a "straight shot" drive (vs winding highway 1) south back to Los Angeles...about 6 hours drive.

Old 03-04-2004, 12:11 AM

I'll start. I'd prefer to join up at #2 and am happy to go to at least #6, and maybe #7 (nothing better than going all the way ).

Old 03-04-2004, 12:39 AM

:lol: We will start at the beginning - #1 for us. We will go to at least #5, possibly #6 or #7, depending upon the timing. :lol:

Old 03-04-2004, 07:23 AM

We're in...

We'll start at one or two and of course continue on to Monterey for the night.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:44 PM

:shock: :? Where did everyone else go??? Will there be only three of us on this wonderful trip? I think those in No. Calif. should drive down to at least #3 or #4 and join us for the trip up north!!! Come on everyone...this is going to be so much FUN. And Diane has already done so much to make a great itinerary. 8)

Old 03-07-2004, 11:53 PM

My wife and I will plan on meeting the group at #6 - Big Sur.

Old 03-08-2004, 12:49 PM

If I have my Crossfire by then, I'll join in. I'm waiting for the roadsters to come out before I make my decision. I'm located in the Bay Area so tooling down to join you all would be a blast. I'll keep you informed. I also have a home in the Mendocino area. My dream is to make the drive from San Jose to Mendo every other weekend. Highway 128 is a great road and then ending up on Highway 1 is so exciting. But I want to wait and see if I like the roadster.

Old 03-08-2004, 12:59 PM

Ooooops. I should say if I decide on the Coupe I'll join you. I only get to test drive a Roadster in April, then I have to order it, then I have to wait until June/July.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:08 AM

:lol: Reservations have been made at Comfort Inn - 2815 Santa Monica Blvd., Santa Monica for Friday, May 14th for anyone that might want to drive and meet us there. We made reservations - and so did AZOutlaws.

:lol: This Trip Is Going To Be Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious (spelling?). :lol:

Old 03-15-2004, 12:13 AM

The more the merrier!!!!!

Old 03-17-2004, 09:40 AM

I may join you guys/gals depending on my schedule at that time. I'll definitely meet up with you in Santa Monica and cruise along to Santa Barbara.

I thought I had the only SSB Auto in Orange County. Looks like there may be others. Where are you hiding?

Old 03-17-2004, 05:40 PM

Cool...the momentum is gaining!

Here's the latest update to the trip. It looks like a few of us have walkie talkies to stay in touch along the way, and, at least thru to Santa Barbara, cell phones should still get reception. Not sure what service is available once we get to Hearst Castle area and north.

ROLL CALL EVERYONE: Please pull out your maps and tell us where you are most likely to join the caravan, and where you are most likely to leave the caravan at these main destinations on Saturday, May 15:

:arrow: 1. Santa Monica, Highway 1...next stretch is along coast thru Malibu...very pretty. Meeting time is early morning TBD (8 or 9am?), and meeting place is the parking lot of the Comfort Inn at 2815 Santa Monica Blvd., Santa Monica.

:arrow: 2. Oxnard/Ventura, Highway 1 and 101 join here...next stretch is along ocean up through Santa Barbara...should be green (or brown in a heat wave) rolling hills.

:arrow: 3. Gaviota just above Santa Barbara, Highway 101 where it just veers inland (we'll figure out later if we want to drive on the 1 or the 101 across the Lompoc Penninsula...neither is along beach...1 is rural, and 101 is more of a straight shot).

:arrow: 4. Arroyo Grande back where the 1 and 101 join up again. Next stretch is Pismo Beach and San Luis Obispo on the 101 and then it splits back to the 1 down to Morro Bay and along the ocean past Hearst Castle. This begins some of the most beautiful coastal driving...virtually on a cliff overlooking the ocean all the way up to Big Sur.

:arrow: 5. Carmel on Highway 1. Not too far south of Monterey, Reg might know a good place to meet the northern Cal crowd. The famous "17 mile drive" would top off the trip if done during daylight hours.

:arrow: 6. Monterey on Highway 1 and a group dinner to end the day. From here, it's easy to cut back to the 101 for a "straight shot" drive (vs winding highway 1) south back to Los Angeles...about 6 hours drive.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:32 PM

We'll start in Santa Monica and "go all the way" to Montery. I have a pair of radios...

Old 03-17-2004, 09:04 PM

Will start at the Comfort Inn / Santa Monica and plan to go to Montery. :lol:

Starting the countdown ......

Quick Reply: Left Coast Hook-up