Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Please Help!!! Possibly a serious problem

Old 04-20-2010, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!!! Possibly a serious problem

Tonight after i got off work at midnight I was showing a buddy my new HID's that i just put in my 04 Limited. I started it up and it idled for about 30 seconds and then i heard an odd thud noise. I started backing out of my spot and realized that i didn't have any power steering, it was about that time that it dawned on my that something was wrong. I imediately shut the car off and popped the hood. I pulled the engine cover off and saw that my belt had come off, I picked it up and it was covered in oil. I went and got my flashlight and saw that the front of my engine was covered in oil too. It appeared that it was coming from the oil filter housing because the sides of that was dripping with oil coming from under the cap. So i got a ride home from my buddy, and as i sit here typing my poor lil car is sitting in my works parking lot soaked in oil. Does anybody have any ideas on what may have happened? or why there was oil pouring out of my filter housing? I'm very concerned about my car........Thanks for the help.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Please Help!!!! Possibly a serious problem

Did you just change your oil? Either you didn't tighten the oil filter cap down tight enough, or you installed the large "O" ring on the filter's bayonet in the wrong position.

Ok, I just read your other post, and you didn't do the oil change, but a mispositioned "Large" O ring is the probable culprit.
It looks like there are two positions you can install the large O ring on the bayonet. The most obvious position should be the very top groove, but in reality, the correct position is one groove from the top.
Bring lots of rags to work tomorrow, and maybe some degreasing spray and wipe off the front of the motor, (especially the pulleys). Unscrew the filter, and put the O ring in the right position and replace it. I don't know if you will be able to get the belt clean enough to reuse or not. Top off your oil level, and check it with the dipstick.

Last edited by +fireamx; 04-20-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:58 AM
Default Re: Please Help!!!! Possibly a serious problem

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Did you just change your oil? Either you didn't tighten the oil filter cap down tight enough, or you installed the large "O" ring on the filter's bayonet in the wrong position.

Ok, I just read your other post, and you didn't do the oil change, but a mispositioned "Large" O ring is the probable culprit.
It looks like there are two positions you can install the large O ring on the bayonet. The most obvious position should be the very top groove, but in reality, the correct position is one groove from the top.
Bring lots of rags to work tomorrow, and maybe some degreasing spray and wipe off the front of the motor, (especially the pulleys). Unscrew the filter, and put the O ring in the right position and replace it. I don't know if you will be able to get the belt clean enough to reuse or not. Top off your oil level, and check it with the dipstick.
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM HE IS TELLING YOU THE CORRECT THING TO DO AND YOU WILL NEED TO BUY A NEW BELT AND PUT IT ON OR TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP THE BELT COST $65.00

Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Default Re: Please Help!!! Possibly a serious problem

I had the same thing happen to my car 3 times now the first time I had the o ring in the wrong place but the other 2 it just happened I just check the oil fillter cap every once and awhile just to take sure it is tight

Old 04-24-2010, 01:54 AM

Apparently the dealer that I bought the car from didn't install the oil filter o rings right, just like you guys said. Just took it 6 months to shift completely to the wrong spot i guess. So after my mechanic was done with it i've got a new oil filter with the o rings properly installed, a much needed oil change, and a new belt. After it was all said and done my car is back on the road and my pocket is 250 bucks lighter. Thanks everyone for helping and putting my mind at ease.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue about a year ago. If they don't set up the oil filter correctly, oil gets every where.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The O rings in some of the (brands) of filter kits are two thin....doesn't matter if they put them on correctly or not....they will leak some......The Mann kit will not leak.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Or.......while installing the HIDs a helpful hand messed with your oil filter and turned it....I know people like to touch our toys...either way, follow the advice given, including replacing the belt.....expensive HIDs...huh...

Old 04-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Be thankful the power steering belt fell off and you caught the problem! You could have kept driving the car and the worst could happen! Your engine could have been destroyed!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Or.......while installing the HIDs a helpful hand messed with your oil filter and turned it....I know people like to touch our toys...either way, follow the advice given, including replacing the belt.....expensive HIDs...huh...
I know how you think Doc, about all this computer and hi tech stuff, but you need to realize, those SRTs would look much better with HIDs