Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

ANYONE REPLACE VALVE COVER GASKET- results?

Old 04-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ANYONE REPLACE VALVE COVER GASKET- results?

Anyone here replace the valve cover gasket? If so, did it start leaking again? How long before it started leaking? And anyone replace the gasket and not a drop since?

Just trying to take a survey on the success rate of fixing this problem. I have a slight leak and notice it when I don't run the car for a long time. Afraid to make it worse by having it replaced. Just wondering if I should wait until it gets a little worse before I deal with it.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ANYONE REPLACE VALVE COVER GASKET- results?

Is the the valve cover gasket or the smaller, separate covers on top? I've re-sealed those on a couple of Xfire's now, without problems.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tazz
Is the the valve cover gasket or the smaller, separate covers on top? I've re-sealed those on a couple of Xfire's now, without problems.
Not to mis-lead, there aren't any "gaskets"...use RTV sealent to fix the problem....which is what Tazz is referring to...just take the smaller valve cover off, clean the area, use the sealant...put it on let it set up for a good amount time, then re-install...

Old 04-24-2010, 03:44 PM

I know it is not like the older cars that actually had a gasket. My question was more on the results of sealing it back up rather than how to do it. I just want to know if anyone here resealed it and it stopped from leaking. I keep hearing people talk about how the leaks come back.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
I know it is not like the older cars that actually had a gasket. My question was more on the results of sealing it back up rather than how to do it. I just want to know if anyone here resealed it and it stopped from leaking. I keep hearing people talk about how the leaks come back.
Oh, I see...you are checking to see if we did the job right the first time....yes....it doesn't come back....unless you didn't do the job right the first time.....lol......the key is to let the sealant set up so you don't just press the sealant out once you install....let it set up over-nite, then re-install...acts just like a gasket

Old 04-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: ANYONE REPLACE VALVE COVER GASKET- results?

Had my valve covers, and gaskets replaced under powertrain warranty. I have put on about 1,000 miles. Not a drop since. (2005 Limited, 31,000 miles)

RJ

Old 04-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The dealer did mine and it's leaking again. When I have time I'll fix it myself.

Les

Old 04-25-2010, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Oh, I see...you are checking to see if we did the job right the first time....yes....it doesn't come back....unless you didn't do the job right the first time.....lol......the key is to let the sealant set up so you don't just press the sealant out once you install....let it set up over-nite, then re-install...acts just like a gasket
Yes.... just wondering if others were successful at stoping the leak. I am not going to do it myself. It is covered under warranty so the dealership will do it. Hopefully they will do it right. But to give you a little background I once had an old caddy. It had a real bad valve cover leak. Had a mechanic (and friend) try to fix it many times and watched him do it. I could never get it to stop and finally just gave up. A little paranoid that my efforts to stop the crossfire leak will end with the same results.... so is it worth going through the hassle. I wonder if having a Chrysler mechanic try to fix it would make it worse or if I should just leave it alone until it gets worse. Right now it is VERY MILD!

Old 04-25-2010, 02:18 AM

trust me, you could do this....it takes some time to remove the old sealer, but, with a little patience, you could fix them yourself....

Old 04-25-2010, 03:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had it done at a Dealer in Bellevue, WA not long ago. Long story short: it's leaking again. When it comes to mechanics, it's a crap shoot.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the dealer do both of the small covers on mine because the car was under warranty. The leaks have not come back.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Forum Regular

Going in this week to get a leek fixed by replacing two new valve covers and gaskets etc. Dealer says its an all day job. I did post this recently with the parts that the dealer order to do the job. Don't really know why they ordered the small gaskets. Hopefully they know their stuff.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post484409

Really don't want them to do the job but have to because its under warranty. Ron

Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle
I've had it done at a Dealer in Bellevue, WA not long ago. Long story short: it's leaking again. When it comes to mechanics, it's a crap shoot.
I suppose that in the rush to get a job out the door that the mechanic does not leave enough time for the sealant to set before it is finally tightened down or they just don't bother and lay down the seal and bolt it back together as fast as they can.
The bead of sealant has to be pretty uniform in its width and thickness and thats tough to do for some. If it looks like its been put on with a putty knife it'll probably fail.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:54 PM

Bringing an old thread back to life... Changed the actual valve cover gaskets and torqued them down to specification. Lasted two weeks and started spitting out quite a bit of oil. It was an aftermarket kit that was identical to the factory one I pulled out. Any ideas on a better gasket, or any ideas to help me fix this ongoing issue?

Thanks in advance,

Cody

Old 12-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I also replaced the valve cover gaskets (large portion) 3 months ago. About 2 months ago I noticed a burnt oil smell while driving. I have not checked but I suspect the gaskets are leaking.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:08 PM

Pulled mine about 4,500 miles ago to polish the covers. Replaced with new MB rubber, resealed the top covers using the factory MB sealant...absolutely no problems. I've always found that it may cost a little more to replace with factory product, but it pays off in the long run. Learned that lesson in 1971 when I went through 3 "rebuilt" waterpumps before getting one that didn't leak!

Old 12-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

For the valve cover gaskets (actually valve covers) I used the MB ones, got them from needs wings. No leaks, for the smaller breather covers on top of the valve covers I use orange copper gasket sealt as it as a high temp resistance rating then the black or whatever is used. No leaks there, this was back during early summer.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:01 PM

This is why I won't replace my valve cover gasket. It leaks a little bit. I'm too afraid that if I touch it and it will become worse.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:24 PM

I cannot drive my car until I order a new kit, the amount of oil that's getting burnt on the manifold is ridiculous. Very frustrated with this...

Old 12-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those of you who are having problems DO realize there is a proper way to tighten these bolts? From the middle first working toward the end and in small increments until max torque is reached. Good luck all.