Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Automatic Transmission Problems

Old 03-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission Problems

Well, just over 5,000 miles and have transmission problems. The car has been at the dealer since Friday of last week. They've been through all their normal testing routines to no avail. Car is now on its way to a Mercedes dealership for further review.

Problem: Transmission not upshifting or downshifting properly. You'll be driving along in 2nd or 3rd and the transmission feels like it is upshifting/downshifting continually while cruising at a steady speed. When coming to a stop, transmission not downshifting. Feels the same way as if you were driving a manual and came to a stop while still in 2nd or 3rd gear, you know, you get that "humming" noise.

I've spent the last hour or so going through forum topics related to the transmission and this appears to be a new problem. I'll come back and post the outcome once all is said and one with.

Note: I did find this little piece in one of the technical advisories. Will forward this to my service advisor.

For automatic transmission equipped vehicles, test drive the vehicle and verify that the transmission up-shifts properly. If not, check the electrlcal connection at the electro hydraulic unit. The connector is located above the right front corner of the transmission oil pan. When the 13 pin connector is inserted into the guide bushing, turn the bayonet lock clockwise until it makes a distinct click sound. Refer to the service information available in TechCONNECT or the Crossfire Service Manual (publication no. 81-270-04036 page 21-281).

Old 03-18-2004, 12:13 PM

Just got a call from my service advisor. They spoke with Chrysler Engineering and have decided to replace my transmission. They state about a 3-4 day delivery time to get the trans in and said I should have my Crossfire back sometime mid next week. I miss my baby!

Old 03-18-2004, 12:19 PM

Your getting the free loaner car during all this time right ?...............look at the bright side............less miles on the car.

Old 03-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gailwrath
Your getting the free loaner car during all this time right ?...............look at the bright side............less miles on the car.
and a 5000 mile 'newer' tranny! as long as they're gonna cover it for the full warranty...

hope they gave you another x-fire for a loaner... if it's nice this weekend, time to burn some serious pavement baby!!! See what yours can do, without having to do it to yours (yet).

Old 03-23-2004, 06:39 PM

2004-03-23 Update:

Well, transmission arrived this morning and was installed. Unfortunately the problem still exists so it has been narrowed down to some sort of transmission controller which is on national backorder. My understanding is that things on national backorder have not been produced yet, ack!

Today is day 13 in the shop. As soon as it hits day 21 I'm going to ask that they keep the car and replace it with a new one. At this point I do not feel comfortable having a car that underwent major heart surgery. The car has less than 6,000 miles on it and we've already got major problems and they can't seem to figure out what is going on. It has even made a trip over to the local Mercedes dealer who could not diagnose it as their tools did not fit the Chrysler.

I've spoken with the national customer service center and they are now handling this for me. Apparently my service guy also filed a complaint so there are many people involved.

Tis a bummer! I love that car. But, now that it is not whole anymore, my love is dissipating rapidly. The longer I'm without it, the further away we drift.

Hope they gave you another x-fire for a loaner...
lol, not in this lifetime! Chrysler give out a quality loaner car? I don't think that happens too frequently. Nope, I'm in an Enterprise rent-a-car, a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant, what a dog! I had to look under the gas pedal because I thought maybe the carpet got jammed up under there and was interfering with acceleration.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to find a new chrysler dealer! They apparently don't have any qualified people if their sending out cars to MB dealers!This trans will be put in other new chrysler vehicles so I hope chrysler does a better job of stocking parts and training people!