Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Strange Occurence

Old 08-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Occurence

Yesterday I hit a pot hole fairly hard. Right when I hit it my horn went off for about a second, and about two seconds later my doors unlocked. I hit the switch, and the doors locked right back up. I am thinking maybe the battery got jarred and caused this? What do you guys think?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Strange Occurence

Please share some of that stuff you are smoking

In all reality, the electrical systems in these cars are so tempermental, if the right fuse or wiring hit just the right connection point during the jarring, it could cause just about anything to happen. Since I have done the complete LED conversion, when my windows roll all the way up and hit the stop, the map lights blink once LOL

I would keep an eye on the electronics in the car, but I would not worry too much, I am sure someone more knowledgable than I will chime in as well.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Please share some of that stuff you are smoking
LOL, I am on quite a bit of cold medicine......
I just went out to check on it, and everything started and is working correct. I do have the typical corrosion on my negative battery cable. I wonder if the jarring could have shorted it out for a second.......

Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

If you have corrosion on your battery cables, I suggest visiting Walmart or an auto store and buying some of those anti-corrosion green and red felt circles. They seem to minimize the buildup. I found that it was somehow getting down under my battery and starting to remove the paint and rust the battery holder. Not something you want happening over your fender wall. The felt is cheap insurance.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"typical corrosion"..... Keep those terminals clean my friend.... this car is very tempermental about voltage and current needs... it will start doing weird things if it has bad connections or a flakey battery...

I have had mine for a few years now and have not seen any 'corrosion' on the terminals.... just the stuff on the post and inside the connections that needs to be cleaned out every so often for good contact....

Old 08-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by rfors777
Yesterday I hit a pot hole fairly hard. Right when I hit it my horn went off for about a second, and about two seconds later my doors unlocked. I hit the switch, and the doors locked right back up. I am thinking maybe the battery got jarred and caused this? What do you guys think?
That's the so called Enterprise safety feature coming on, first the big bump, next the horn and then the doors unlock, "ABANDON SHIP".

Old 08-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah, these cars really dont like it if you mess with the electrics.

I am still fighting with a broken clockspring which completly messes with my ESP/BAS and the spoiler.

Referring to the corrosion on the battery cable, I think the simplest trick is to spray some PW-40 (that oil I think) on it and it will stop corroding. Thats what Tazz did to mine and it works perfect. I'll have to check the cable again when I get back to AZ next week^^

Old 08-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

The horn going off could have been the horn relay (RCM) making contact for a sec when you hit the pot hole.
Just sayin'.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
The horn going off could have been the horn relay (RCM) making contact for a sec when you hit the pot hole.
Just sayin'.
that was the car's way of saying "OUCH"....and it was going to throw you out if you did it again, thus the doors unlocking...so, I would be careful, these crossy's can become cross with screwed with....