Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

BAS/ESP with some grinding.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAS/ESP with some grinding.

I am going to start from the beginning.

About 4 days ago when I started my car the red light on the spoiler switch blinked about 5 times and went off. Everything worked normal with no issues.

About 3 days ago my light indicator came on with my headlights. This has happened every once in a while with my HID's, but usually it will go out if I turn the lights off and on. It will not go off.

Today the BAS/ESP light came on when I started the car. I turned the wheel to reset it and it went off. The light indicator was also on. I drove half a mile and parked the car. When I came out the car started fine. I backed out and put it in gear to go. I drove 20 feet and the car shuddered and made a grinding sound the esp light flashed a few times and my brake light was on even though the brake was not on. I stopped and saw that the BAS/ESP light was on again.

I put the car in 2nd gear and slowly drove in the parking lot to see what happened. I was able to limp it home. Halfway home the esp light flashed again and the car started shuddering and grinding again. The car came to a complete stop. I cannot reset the BAS/ESP now.

I have read a post on here where the problem was a faulty ground. Do you think this could all be cause by a bad battery. I have the original equipment battery. (before you slam me, I know I should have changed it long before now) I am going to change the battery out tomorrow. This is the first place to start.

What else do you think could be causing all of this, and is it possible that they are all related somehow?

Last edited by rfors777; 08-29-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: BAS/ESP with some grinding.

1. You really may have a light out somewhere on the car.

2. With all the little flakey sounding things, your battery may be the whole problem, maybe not.... this car does wierd stuff if the voltage or current are not right.... change the battery and then see what you have.

Oh.... check ALL of the lights on the car..headlights, tail lights, side markers, map light, glove box, license plate and any that I missed....

Old 08-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: BAS/ESP with some grinding.

grinding?? have you done a visual on all the brakes, chips in the speed sensor will throw a bas. Woody

Old 08-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by waldig
grinding?? have you done a visual on all the brakes, chips in the speed sensor will throw a bas. Woody
It sounded and felt just like ABS kicked on. The car vibrated and came to a complete halt. It felt like the front end.

What are "chips in the speed sensor?"

Old 08-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Forum Regular

So, I replaced the bettery today. There was extreme corrosion on the negative terminal. So much so that the nut that holds it to the post was so far degraded I had to cut the negative ground wire off. After I got the battery out of the car I noticed it was cracked at the negative post. This explains why there was so much corrosion. I am guessing this Texas heat, and age of the battery are to blame.

I put in a new battery and ground cable. When I started the car, the BAS/ESP light was on. I did the wheel reset and it went off. I drove the car around the block, and it drove normal.

I turned the headlights on and still have the bulb out indicator. I did a complete walk around, and cannot find a bulb out. I checked everywhere. Side markers, high/low beams, brakes, glove box, ashtray etc. I cannot find a bulb out. I did notice that with the car turned off, the brake lights do not come on. Is this normal?

I am somewhat leary of driving it without knowing if it is fixed. If it happened on the highway, I could have easily been the cause of an accident.

Based on what you guys know, is there any ideas as to what could have caused the original issue besides the battery?

I have checked my wheel wells, and they all look normal. There is no rotor damage.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 452 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by rfors777
So, I replaced the bettery today.
I turned the headlights on and still have the bulb out indicator. I did a complete walk around, and cannot find a bulb out.
I checked everywhere. Side markers, high/low beams, brakes, glove box, ashtray etc.
I cannot find a bulb out.
I did notice that with the car turned off, the brake lights do not come on. Is this normal?
Have you checked the license plate light bulbs ??
As for the brake lights....mine don't light either when the key is off.
First time I have ever noticed this too but I went and checked after reading your post.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Have you checked the license plate light bulbs ??
As for the brake lights....mine don't light either when the key is off.
First time I have ever noticed this too but I went and checked after reading your post.
Yeah, I checked both the bulbs for the license plate. Strange.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Forum Regular

Well, the battery was apparently not the main culprit. My XFire is now at the dealership being diagnosed. On the way to work this morning, the BAS/ESP light came on again. Luckily the ABS didn't kick in as it did Saturday. Now I wait to hear from them. They said I will most likely not hear anything until tomorrow. No loaner car either. I hate being stuck!

I figured since it was there I would have them also fix the 1st gear pop out issue, and my heated seats. Hopefully they won't have to have my car for a year.......

Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG I hope its all under warranty ??? Thats going to be a hugh bill !!!!! Good luck & let us know what they find !!!!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ed Mahoney
OMG I hope its all under warranty ??? Thats going to be a hugh bill !!!!! Good luck & let us know what they find !!!!
I have an aftermarket warranty. I won't know until tomorrow if it will be covered. My aftermarket is supposed to be bumper to bumper, but I have never used it so I have my fingers crossed. Worst case I will pay to have the BAS/ESP issue fixed and live with the seat heaters and 1st gear pop out for a while.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Forum Regular

Well, day three with the car being at the stealership. I have still heard nothing. They have diagnosed nothing. I am getting impatient not having a car.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: BAS/ESP with some grinding.

You need to become a diaper and get on their assp often and frequently. Woody No squeek no oil.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by rfors777
Well, day three with the car being at the stealership. I have still heard nothing. They have diagnosed nothing. I am getting impatient not having a car.
I doubt that this is your problem but it caused a car of mine to shudder and make noises from the rear.
It was caused by an e-brake liner coming loose from the shoe, it rattled around and sometimes jammed slowing the car rapidly. It finally jammed permanently, thankfully it was in my driveway when that happened.
Is it possible that one of your brake pads has come apart and is just lying in place causing it to jamb the brakes at times. How about a rotor having some damage?
Just a few random thoughts that are probably not your problem at all.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I doubt that this is your problem but it caused a car of mine to shudder and make noises from the rear.
It was caused by an e-brake liner coming loose from the shoe, it rattled around and sometimes jammed slowing the car rapidly. It finally jammed permanently, thankfully it was in my driveway when that happened.
Is it possible that one of your brake pads has come apart and is just lying in place causing it to jamb the brakes at times. How about a rotor having some damage?
Just a few random thoughts that are probably not your problem at all.
I tried to check all of that. I have no rotor damage and the pads were secure. I am now almost positive the sound I heard was the anti lock brakes kicking in.

Woody, I have to be nice for now since they can always just say whatever it is was my fault and my warranty company won't cover it. My patience is running very low though.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Forum Regular

They just informed me that it is the steering angle sensor. My question now is if that would cause the ABS to kick in? I find it hard to believe that the sensor would cause that. I may be wrong though.