Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Can I just remove the console cover to replace the cigarette lighter?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I just remove the console cover to replace the cigarette lighter?

I searched and found threads and pdfs on removing the center console. Can I just remove the center console cover (and radio) and replace the cigarette lighter socket?

I bought this one on Ebay - hope it fits:

CIGARETTE LIGHTER chrysler CROSSFIRE CAR 2005 2004 2008: eBay Motors (item 140452397398 end time Oct-11-10 18:45:05 PDT)

Thanks,

Mike

Old 10-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Can I just remove the console cover to replace the cigarette lighter?

you may not need a new part. It could just be disconnected. Start by pulling the radio. Then the front panel comes off. I think that is the order in how it is done.

Also start by checking the fuses. I am sure there is one. Check the manual.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Can I just remove the console cover to replace the cigarette lighter?

If my memory is correct, taking apart the center console panels starts with the radio. Get a couple keys from walmart or something real cheap. Stick them in and the radio slides right out. It may reveal a couple screws that will removed the front silver panel. I forget the procedure because it has been a while.... but I know taking that radio out is the first step and has to be done.

I have a feeling it is not the lighter unit itself. The wire may have come apart which is very easy to do it a dealership took apart the center console. He probably never used it or noticed it wasn't working. The dealership did something like that to me once.

The first thing I would do is look for a fuse. If that is not the problem then move on to the heavier labor.

Don't think you bought a bad car. Crossfires are great cars but they have a few common bugs (like headliner, sticky ignition, headlight may fog up and one day the AC may start acting wierd...etc). The car you bought has less than 10K miles so the original owner probably never noticed the problems or had a chance to work the car in so it would develop the problems. So don't think you bought a lemon. We all went through this

The Crossfire is a great car. It just requires a little TLC. More so than any other car in my opinion. But once you work your way through all these little issues you will enjoy it even more. Just know we have all been there in your shoes and we all survived. Just hang in there.

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 10-02-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:36 PM

The metal in the bottom of the lighter socket is gone. When I stuck the voltmeter probe down the socket I knocked out the last loose piece. The socket had voltage. Just the piece that completed the circuit to the middle of the lighter coil was broken and gone.

I am absolutely delighted with the car. It has 10,000 miles on it and I got it for $10,100. I think that is a real value. Certainly in the range Crossfires are selling for but they are now a smoking deal I think. 215 hp, 3,000 pounds, six speed, 150mph, excellent suspension, great styling, scarce if not rare, very good gas mileage, 10,000 miles, $10,000, what a great deal!

I have another vehicle so working out the bugs and maintaining the car is a labor of love. There is no "have to get it running by Monday morning" stress.

Thanks for all the help and information and for the encouragement.

Mike

Old 10-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent deal for that few miles

Old 10-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, you have bought a great car for a great price. I just bought mine in Ohio a month or so ago and it had 55k on the clock. I paid $9750 for mine and I may buy another one just for fun. I spent 1 long miserible summer in Hereford years ago and as I remember the landscape out there it is purty flat. Luckly I live in southeast Ohio and all i have is twisties and hills. Have a blast!

Old 10-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the socket must be replaced:
[/LIST]Radio panel (plus 2 screws)
Shifter surround (2 pieces-pry out)
Ashtray/Airbag light/lighter

There are 4 small screws that must be removed to get that 3-banger panel out. The socket is a bugger to remove. It is held in place by 2 small clips deep toward the front of the socket assembly. 2 small flat screwdrivers to push them in and push it out toward the front.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:14 PM

Thanks Ghost!

Thanks Mike. Red is my favorite color for a Crossfire or any other sports car for that matter. There are some very flat very straight very long very low traffic sections of highway that are very nice for stretching out the Crossfire's legs. I envy you your twisty roads though. Might try some autocross for fun next summer. I grew up on a farm nine miles South of Hereford.

Thanks Max. That clarified the sequence and the tip on getting the socket out will save me a lot of time. Thanks for the details in your explanation.

Mike

Old 07-28-2015, 06:36 PM

My cig lighter wasn't working, turned out to be a fuse. Located under the hood, driver side. I would check that before anything else when it comes to electronics.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin's
My cig lighter wasn't working, turned out to be a fuse. Located under the hood, driver side. I would check that before anything else when it comes to electronics.
I'm guessing that he fixed it 5 years ago. But I do need to check that fuse on mine. Apparently it also powers the glovebox light which is out on mine as well.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:59 AM

Yea after I hit post I checked the date, then started checking every date before I put anything. But oh well.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:57 AM
ADDICTED TO BOOST
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am bumping this old thread since I was not able to find a definitive answer in my searches to answer this question and thought it may help the next owner looking for help with this. Sure you can dismantle the whole radio / shifter / console area to access this Cigar Lighter but there is a MUCH easier way.

If you remove the console side panel (the black piece the covers the side of the console up to the glove box), you can actually reach in from behind and PUSH the lighter OUT. This console cover is held in by two screws, a plastic one on the vent cover that just needs a ¼ turn to remove, then a single philips screw that is behind that vent cover. The lighter is in there snug, but with a bit of effort, it will push forward. I also used a plastic trim removal tool to pry it up from the front with ZERO damage to the surrounding pieces. It is just held in by pressure clips.

I spent more time trying to figure out how to unplug the socket than I did getting it out. Luckily having the replacement in hand made it a bit easier!

Good luck boys and girls~

Old 05-03-2016, 05:29 PM

Even if it's a old thread, I like your solution could you post pics so I can see what you exactly mean? I need to do it my lighter is dead ... Didn't do it until now because I don't feel to remove the whole dash.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:44 PM
ADDICTED TO BOOST

I do not have my car with me to snap a quick picture but found these two online of the piece in question. If you just remove this vent, there is a single screw behind it and then the whole panel just pulls out. You can then reach your hand behind the lighter and push it out.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:50 PM

Thanks a lot you saved my day. Once I return home I'll get that lighter working again ������

Old 05-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKFIN
I do not have my car with me to snap a quick picture but found these two online of the piece in question. If you just remove this vent, there is a single screw behind it and then the whole panel just pulls out. You can then reach your hand behind the lighter and push it out.
I think that this may be a quick solution to a problem that I never got around to fixing while the car was hibernating.
I wanted a connection for my dash cam that would come on with the ignition. This may be the solution I need, it or the glove box light.
Thanks for giving me the hint.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:15 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I think that this may be a quick solution to a problem that I never got around to fixing while the car was hibernating.
I wanted a connection for my dash cam that would come on with the ignition. This may be the solution I need, it or the glove box light.
Thanks for giving me the hint.

I'd be interested to know if it's just that easy, you'll be working in the blind in a very confined space. I've removed the lighter socket twice and it was a bear to remove each time and that's with the panel removed and I could see how it is clipped to the panel.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:53 AM
ADDICTED TO BOOST

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
I'd be interested to know if it's just that easy, you'll be working in the blind in a very confined space. I've removed the lighter socket twice and it was a bear to remove each time and that's with the panel removed and I could see how it is clipped to the panel.
As I mentioned, I think I spent more time trying to figure out how to unplug the harness from it than I did getting the socket out. The good part is that the harness is at a 90 degree angle so the socket gives you a perfect flat spot to push on from the back.

I was holding down the silver panel it is attached too with one hand and pushing on the socket from behind with the other hand and it came forward about a .25 inch. I then took my plastic trim removal tool and began carefully prying it from the front going around the edges, it popped right out.

As with you, it was helpful to have the replacement in hand as well to see where the clips were. Not a bad job, just had to clean my hands of all the tape residue from all the wires back there that are covered in Tesa tape.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
I just need to splice into the wire somewhere e, maybe the glovebox light would be easier to get to. I am not into contortion tricks these days so maybe that would be easier.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I just need to splice into the wire somewhere e, maybe the glovebox light would be easier to get to. I am not into contortion tricks these days so maybe that would be easier.
BY FAR !
The glove box light just pops out, you can then easily hook into the leads.

Quick Reply: Can I just remove the console cover to replace the cigarette lighter?