Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Car Accident! - I need help/Parts

Old 12-04-2010, 05:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 12-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car Accident! - I need help/Parts

Originally Posted by shapeshifter309
Sorry for your loss, but I would recommend that you cut your losses here and piece it out. You'll probably make enough to buy another Crossfire.

The way it stands right now, I can tell you that the passenger side frame is definitely damaged. You definitely need a new radiator mount. The amount of money you're going to spend on finding parts like the passenger side fender and headlight assembly (besides all the other big ticket and rare items) would far outweigh any benefit of fixing it. It will never really be the same again. I know how you feel and I would feel the same way if this happened to mine, but I would rather part it out and let the good parts go to still-roadworthy XFs. After all, it is just a car.

My two cents.
Very good point and a very good option. I know it sucks cause youve done a great job with it, dang good looking coupe! But like shapeshifter said; is it going to ever be completly right or will little things haunt you. You very well could be chasing gremlins with a bucket of cash instead of putting the money into more upgrades. JMHO

Pooly

Old 12-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

bent crossfires really make you sick....sorry for your loss...but, in due time....you will find all the parts and have her running again....mechanics don't give up....

Old 12-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you for the ebay listing, will keep an eye on it. an yeah i kno what your saying but i feel like it can b done. its not as bad as you think i worked on her today. ima post pics right now

Old 12-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Forum Regular

1st day of taking her apart. it was starting to snow an i was still in my driveway taking her apart lil by lil. i got her started today also. she idled an sounded perfect. blew black an white smoke a bit got the check engine light on. but she starts. here are some pics of todays work. on the pics you will notice i took pics of the trouble points. not really sure wat i can do to fix the bent unibody so please give me some sujjestions and comments and help please. i am not in a rush for parts now the body is first. so please give me some possitive pointers. thank you very much.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossfire725
1st day of taking her apart. it was starting to snow an i was still in my driveway taking her apart lil by lil. i got her started today also. she idled an sounded perfect. blew black an white smoke a bit got the check engine light on. but she starts. here are some pics of todays work. on the pics you will notice i took pics of the trouble points. not really sure wat i can do to fix the bent unibody so please give me some sujjestions and comments and help please. i am not in a rush for parts now the body is first. so please give me some possitive pointers. thank you very much.
Save the hassle and scrap it, when the body is obviously bent you have to realize that other areas are bent out of shape as well and it is not obvious.
When you start to bolt parts on and they do not line up its too late to cut your losses.
These bodies are meant to fold up like a concertina and some of this frame has already done its job, it probably cannot be put back into proper shape and so that measure of safety in any future crash is already gone.
Part it out and get another one.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

From the pics at the accident scene it loks like the impact was high enough to avoid frame/unibody damage. Has it been confirmed that there actually is unibody damage?

Old 12-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Forum Regular

Just a few folded parts by the fender an also some by the upper rad support. Nothing drastic. Luckly it was a picked up truck cause I would have been screwed other wise. I see some people saying not to fix it but I really wanna. I got a few connections. Gonna get some estimates an go from there.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
From the pics at the accident scene it loks like the impact was high enough to avoid frame/unibody damage. Has it been confirmed that there actually is unibody damage?
i agree with sparkie. it may nickel and dime you, but you'll definitely learn something valuable in the process and don't let any naysayers opinions dissuade you (ala; batteries and concertinas).

Old 12-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

well, here goes for what it's worth....the area where you have sheet metal damage, can be fixed in 2 different ways...there are some body shop guys on here as well. Moparrbust would be a very good source. #1 is the use of a torch to heat and work with the metal you have, or #2, is to cut away what is bent, get a scrap yard replacement and weld it back in. Either one takes some patience and a little artwork to make it work. But, it can be done. You won't be able to work the metal without heat...and yes, heat can lesson it's rigitity, but won't hurt anything unless you heat it up too much...in otherwords, get it right the first time or just cut it away and weld in the new...doesn't look all that bad to me...more photos of the A-frame area would be nice...but it looked like a glancing hit, and more damage from the truck coming down on it...looks repairable to me...I have seen worse repaired...but, requires a lot of welding and bracing...
I am talking about the lower areas, everything on top can be bought and replaced, but not the lower unibody area...

Last edited by oledoc2u; 12-04-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
well, here goes for what it's worth....the area where you have sheet metal damage, can be fixed in 2 different ways...there are some body shop guys on here as well. Moparrbust would be a very good source. #1 is the use of a torch to heat and work with the metal you have, or #2, is to cut away what is bent, get a scrap yard replacement and weld it back in. Either one takes some patience and a little artwork to make it work. But, it can be done. You won't be able to work the metal without heat...and yes, heat can lesson it's rigitity, but won't hurt anything unless you heat it up too much...in otherwords, get it right the first time or just cut it away and weld in the new...doesn't look all that bad to me...more photos of the A-frame area would be nice...but it looked like a glancing hit, and more damage from the truck coming down on it...looks repairable to me...I have seen worse repaired...but, requires a lot of welding and bracing...
I am talking about the lower areas, everything on top can be bought and replaced, but not the lower unibody area...
What do you mean exactly by the A frame?
Either if you got an idea or if anyone else dose. What do people think it would cost me for a shop to replace the folded metal on top and the upper rad support?

Old 12-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There was someone on here not too long ago that was restoring wrecked Crossfires and showed the frame getting straightened and replacing the upper radiator support plus the sheet metal... similar to yours only worse! He had good pics...he is someplace around Carolina I believe.....

Old 12-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeR
There was someone on here not too long ago that was restoring wrecked Crossfires and showed the frame getting straightened and replacing the upper radiator support plus the sheet metal... similar to yours only worse! He had good pics...he is someplace around Carolina I believe.....
If anyone can find that thread or can get in touch with him or find him please get him in touch with me. Thanks. Anyone else with there own knowlage I'm all ears

Old 12-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...e-rebuild.html this is the guy

Old 12-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a NEW upper rad support on ebay right now at $29.99 item #280598203668 4days 20 hours left

Old 12-04-2010, 05:03 PM

we just did a 300 with about the same damage. Frame straightning is something that gets done all the time too. The 300 also got the wheel well area replaced from the front end of a scraped car. Lots of work but fixed. But like I posted already about that Audi, repairs of that magnatude are costly. Like everything in life its all about the $$$$$

We are not nay sayers either! You have 2 options here scrap or rebuild; we are giving opinions based on our experiences, not from how we view life.

I love my coupe as much as you love yours. If this happened to me I would rebuild it BUT only because I work at a collision shop. If I didnt have access to that kind of equipment and knowledgble techs Id scrap her for all I could get and look to another one.

Just look at your options, think it through Pros & Cons and do it your way

Old 12-05-2010, 03:14 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch!!! Good luck man, it looks pretty bad

Old 12-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Forum Regular

Yeah well I'm going to keep stripping her down. Get the front bumper off get the rad an shroud out driver side fender and then after xmas have the car flat beded to a body shop an get an estimate. My prob now is not the body parts my prob now is the sheet metal an damage to the actual car. Gotta get that fixed first then everything else will come part by part wen I got the extra doe. If the qoute crazzy then at that point ill start thinking of other options. The cars bodys realllllly not thhhhhhhhhhaaaaat bad so I'm gonna see after xmas time an all to see what's up.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Did the passenger door get jamed back at all? Also are you taking the parts with you to help the estimater? From what I can see in the pics your bumper looks ok

Old 12-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were my car, what I would do off the bat would be to straighten out the upper radiator mount by hand as much as I could, and replace the coolant tank, and the radiator fan. That should make the car drivable.

Then I would take the car to several shops, and get estimates on fixing the damage to the body.

Then weigh the costs of fixing it the rest of the way.

BC.

Quick Reply: Car Accident! - I need help/Parts