Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I want buy a crossfire.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want buy a crossfire.

Hi!

I want buy a crossfire and I'm searching information about it. I like this car a lot, but my ex hate it... Fortunately, she is ex actually .

The car is beautifull, has personality and... well, it is a dream, but when you drive it, How is the touch, the feel? Is the car reliable? Has this car many breakdowns or faults?

I'm from europe and I do not speak english rightly. Sorry for this, and thanks for the responses.

estcal

Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Default Re: I want buy a crossfire.

My current girlfriend thought the Crossfire wasn't good looking at all until I brought it home. Now she loves it. If YOU love, YOU should get it. You're buying it for you, not anyone else.

As for reliability and such, I'm fixing some condensation in my headlights and a shifting problem this week. Thankfully I have some of the factory warranty left so that is a big help and relieves the stress. Yea, it's annoying but it's such a beautiful car, I'm ok with it.

It rides and feels great. Very solid feeling to it. The stock motor isn't fast but this isn't a Johnny Speedracer type car. Perfect mix of class and sporty.

My recommendation would be to find a later model Crossfire. I'd stay away from 04/05 years and try to stick with 06-08.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wpetraska
My recommendation would be to find a later model Crossfire. I'd stay away from 04/05 years and try to stick with 06-08.
Just curious as to why you would make a statement like that???

Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by danimal
Just curious as to why you would make a statement like that???
I feel like I hear more issues with the earlier models than I do the later ones. Whether that's because they're more common or a newly introduced model, I'm not sure. I simply followed the rule of thumb that as a model ages, problems are fixed with each year.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My current girlfriend thought the Crossfire wasn't good looking at all until I brought it home. Now she loves it. If YOU love, YOU should get it. You're buying it for you, not anyone else.

As for reliability and such, I'm fixing some condensation in my headlights and a shifting problem this week. Thankfully I have some of the factory warranty left so that is a big help and relieves the stress. Yea, it's annoying but it's such a beautiful car, I'm ok with it.

It rides and feels great. Very solid feeling to it. The stock motor isn't fast but this isn't a Johnny Speedracer type car. Perfect mix of class and sporty.

Hope this helps!
You sir are clueless. If you are going to give advice, you should base it on fact. The 04/05 models are just as reliable as the 06-08 models. And, if you are wanting to purchase an SRT, you are relegated to 05 unless you are lucky enough to find one of the handful of 06's that were produced. The 04 and 05 NA models have the exact same engine, transmission, differential, suspension, etc. that the 06 - 08 models have. Can you please enlighten us on what is different in an 06 - 08 model that makes it more reliable?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Forum Regular

Except for the addition of airbags in the glove box area in 2006/2007 Chrysler made no attempt to upgrade the Xfire except for the cup holder replacement. The airbags change was required by federal law not Chrysler's efforts to improve the safety of the car. There were some cosmetic changes with the base and SE models. Talk to the Mercedes SLK guys and all our issues are in the S170. Even the SRT guys have the same issues as the Mercedes models. However, we have one issue the Mercedes guys do not -- Body parts. A well keep car is a well keep car regardless of mileage or age. Don't let your bias or misinformation taint other people's reality. In my opinion, opinions are great if they have a factual basis or are expressed as just that -- opionions.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure where in EMEA you are, but we have members here from Sweden, Germany, the UK, and Russia. Other than the Karmann body, everything underneath is ~2003 Mercedes SLK320. That's a pretty solid vehicle. As stated by others, other than a few cosmetic and safety tweaks, nothing in the engine, drivetrain, or suspension changed throughout the 2004-08 model years. You should buy one just to **** off your ex.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like I hear more issues with the earlier models than I do the later ones. Whether that's because they're more common or a newly introduced model, I'm not sure. I simply followed the rule of thumb that as a model ages, problems are fixed with each year.
I have an 04 and an 05 SRT no real issues, besides the earlier models were SLK's s by the time they got to the Crossfire you can safely say that the Crossfire was the later model.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Goldwing
Not sure where in EMEA you are, but we have members here from Sweden, Germany, the UK, and Russia. Other than the Karmann body, everything underneath is ~2003 Mercedes SLK320. That's a pretty solid vehicle. As stated by others, other than a few cosmetic and safety tweaks, nothing in the engine, drivetrain, or suspension changed throughout the 2004-08 model years. You should buy one just to **** off your ex.
Well, I'm from Spain. I know crossfire has a lot of parts of SLK320, a solid car. But I don't kwon that almost the mechanical components comes from Mercedes. Searching about this, the six-speed manual gearbox is not used by Mercedes, although it source from MB.

This give me an idea about the Xfire touch and reliability. With this body and the mechanical parts, it must be an outstanding and excelent vehicle, elegant and with a unique style. American cars look exotic for an european driver... but chrysler has made a great job with this car: compared with the SLK320 body, the mercedes car is tasteless.

I think this too Goldwing... I should buy it to **** off her and to enjoy, of course!

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 AM

My "look for a later model Crossfire" comment was not meant as some smear campaign to people who own 04-05 model Crossfires so I apologize for any disrespect to owners.

This was my first car I've ever bought on my own so yes, I did follow the "the later the model year, the better the car", which applies to almost every car. I apologize if that tip doesn't apply for the Crossfire but I stand by my choice and my advice.

It all comes down to how the original owner took care of the car. In my mind, an 06 or 07 has been around less and therefore has less of a history. If you find an 04 with an amazing original owner, go for it! Just remember that not everyone may have babied the car like you will.

There are plenty of used Crossfires for sale so why not try and snag one that's newer? Low miles, been around less, etc. I'm extremely happy with my choice and, regardless of what you choose, just make sure you are happy with yours.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

The list of Crossfire for sale on the West Coast is getting fewer and fewer.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 PM

I would like to apologize to you for how many senior members jumped on you. You do have an opinion and it has merit. You also can express your opinion without an editorial warning. Between friends and my own two CFs, I would say you might be on to something.
You are wise beyond your age to not be hot headed back to these guys. You have been on here but a brief time; I would suggest that this was a sorry welcome to you.
Stay your course,
PP

(quote=wpetraska]My "look for a later model Crossfire" comment was not meant as some smear campaign to people who own 04-05 model Crossfires so I apologize for any disrespect to owners.

This was my first car I've ever bought on my own so yes, I did follow the "the later the model year, the better the car", which applies to almost every car. I apologize if that tip doesn't apply for the Crossfire but I stand by my choice and my advice.

It all comes down to how the original owner took care of the car. In my mind, an 06 or 07 has been around less and therefore has less of a history. If you find an 04 with an amazing original owner, go for it! Just remember that not everyone may have babied the car like you will.

There are plenty of used Crossfires for sale so why not try and snag one that's newer? Low miles, been around less, etc. I'm extremely happy with my choice and, regardless of what you choose, just make sure you are happy with yours. [/quote]

Old 01-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My "look for a later model Crossfire" comment was not meant as some smear campaign to people who own 04-05 model Crossfires so I apologize for any disrespect to owners.

There are plenty of used Crossfires for sale so why not try and snag one that's newer? Low miles, been around less, etc. I'm extremely happy with my choice and, regardless of what you choose, just make sure you are happy with yours.
Don't worry about it. Bmorgan is a hot head and needs to chill out. He has a history of lashing out at people. No need to apologize or defend yourself to anybody.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
Don't worry about it. Bmorgan is a hot head and needs to chill out. He has a history of lashing out at people. No need to apologize or defend yourself to anybody.

Welcome to the forum.
I am not sure what you are basing me being a hot head on, but if that is what you believe..... I can live with that. The fact remains that to tell someone that is coming in here seeking information about Crossfires that they should stay away from 04 and 05 Crossfires because they are more problematic is irresponsible. To back that up by saying that cars have bugs worked out of them as the model years progress, is making a statement without knowledge of what changes were made in the Crossfire models or the history of the SLK320/32 drive train that this car is based on. Then to justify it by saying that an older model may have been treated worse is without merit as well. An 08 owned by an irresponsible person could be in much worse condition than an average 04. It is up to the purchaser to research the history of a car and determine how it was cared for. He stated that it seems like he hears of more issues with the older model years. Maybe it has to do more with the fact that the last Crossfire rolled off the assembly line in December of 2007, and only 2,000 Crossfires were produced in 2007. Additionally, only 4,805 were produced in 2006. That leaves 35,700 that were produced in 03, 28,000 in 04, and 12,500 in 05. Based on these numbers...... which model years will you see more discussion about? Does this correlate to the 6,800 that were produced in 06/07 being more reliable than the 76,200 that were produced between 2003 and 2005? No, it just means that 92% of Crossfire owners have a car that was produced between 2003 and 2005. As evidenced by these numbers, fewer Crossfires were produced each successive year after the 03 production, and considering that only 6,800 were produced in the last 2 years...... it is evident that Mercedes/Chrysler knew that the Crossfire was slated for the bone yard prior to the 06 production run. Do you really think any significant extra effort was put into the 06/07 production years. Not likely!

I could have omitted my first sentence and and been more PC, but it does not change the fact that wperaska was not providing knowledgeable advice about the Crossfire model years. In fact, he gave advice that was misleading based on the actual facts about the Crossfire. Maybe you think that it is acceptable to provide mis-information to users seeking advice on a purchase decision. I try to limit the advice that I give to the facts. On many occasions, I have helped answer questions about NA's for example and give the caveat that I am an SRT owner and that an NA owner would surely chime in with more detailed advice. I have been told that I was wrong in advice that I have given before..... Right Rudy....... I don't take it personal, and learn from it so that I can give better advice in the future.

My 05 has 27K miles on it, and I would dare say that there are very few 08's that are as close as nice or in near as good of condition as mine. The Crossfire is unique in the fact that a very high percentage of them are owned as pleasure/weekend cars, and are not driven on a daily basis. This makes it extremely easy to find well maintained 04 to 08 models that are in near pristine condition for a fraction of the price that they sold for new. Personally, if I were in the market for a second Crossfire (which I wish I could afford to get a coupe), I would focus on looking at 04 and 05 models as there are great deals on low mileage well maintained examples right now. But the bottom line is, I would look at any of the model years equally, and make my final decision based on the best car that I could get for my money. I would not think for even one second that I should spend more to get an 07 or 08 model year for reliability reasons. It simply is just not the case.

Anyway, if you believe that giving someone advice to stay away from 04/05 models is sound advice for a new member to receive that is looking to make a purchase decision then so be it. I will correct wrong information when I see it, and expect others to correct me when I am wrong.

Last edited by bmorgan; 01-12-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've owned my 04 since it was brand new, so I thought I'd chime in.
Many times over the years I've heard comments from various people suggesting that it may be in your best interests to stay away from purchasing the 04 Crossfire. I never appreciated hearing that, but usually chose to simply ignor it.
Maybe it's because they had the most TSB's sent out about them, which I feel is pretty normal for any 1st. year model. On the plus side, I don't think Chrysler/Karmann changed any of it's original parts designs over the years, so maybe it just took some time for the assembly line to get their act together. At any rate, by now, any problems that may have turned up in the premier model has more than likely been taken care of years ago.
My 04 has nearly 55k miles on it, with only a rear hatch vacuum hose leak fixed under warranty (Which I understand is common in several years) and they replaced my battery under warranty as well.
Just look for the best example you can find for the money that you're willing to spend.
Good Luck

Last edited by +fireamx; 01-11-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't ask anyone or really care if they liked it. It's a Benz for cheap with a cooler body. I bought first and asked questions later. Get the Srt6 if you can come or with the extra bucks, it's worth it. Even the paragon of reliability the Toyota had it's problems. Sometimes it's a crap shoot with Crossfires, some have great luck and others have a nightmare. I think it's a good bet, but get a warranty.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

To: estcal

Really good advice for someone considering a Crossfire purchase. I do take a little exception with the comment highlighted above. The Crossfire had an autobahn-tested top speed of 150 mph (if I recall correctly)! And that applied to both motor versions - NA's & SC'd. Does the NA have the capability to accelerate quickly? It would not be my choice for a quarter mile drag car. In fact, neither would the SRT-6, from my vantage point.

As stated, the Crossfire was never designed to be that type of car. It is a top notch. 2-seat sports car built for power & control (superior road handling properties) combining a German-derived powertrain with American styling. There are Owners in this group that have converted their cars (typically SRT-6's ) into potent quarter mile cars. Frankly, than comes from our so-called muscle car era when going as fast as possible from stoplight to stoplight was the thing you did. I know - been there, done that! (To this day, I still build performance motors for street rodders when I have the time.) And I'm respectful of those that have executed various mods to develop their XFires into these 'exotic muscle cars' (my perspective). (Note: So don't any of you go off on me! I didn't mean anything personal.)

The Crossfire was the 'best bang for the buck' when it was being marketed if you wanted a performance-oriented, 2-seat, sports car. And it still is today in the 'previously owned' market. Does it have issues? Yes - parts, especially body components, can be tough to locate & get. But that's true of any limited production car. I owned Merkur XR4Ti's (had 3, all drivable, in the driveway) which were sold from 1985 to 1989. All these cars had the same issues. But there was/is a Forum for those cars that kept all the owners in touch regarding how to keep our cars on the road. And one of the best features of owning a Crossfire is you have this Forum to do the same!!

And I agree with the comments that it doesn't really matter which model year you select for your purchase. From 2004 to 2008, the cars are essentially the same. (I can't believe I'm agreeing with bmorgan - HAH!) Just rely on doing your research when looking at various cars. And take advantage of having nearby XFire Owners look over the car your considering. Most of us know what to look for.

Enough already,

Last edited by dedwards0323; 01-12-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to point out the obvious, but the 04/05 cars have had reports of more cooling fan, relay modules, abs control modules, and a few other parts that had failures, and were replaced with a different Mercedes part number during the Crossfire production run.

Other things that were changed were the auto trans seal plug, plus an adjustment was made to the manual transmission to prevent it from popping out of gear early on.

At some point, the manual transmission flywheel part number has changed, along with the crankshaft position sensor. Then there's the possibility of getting an original battery in a used Crossfire, that might die at any minute.

Now, some of you might not like to hear this, but that doesn't make it any less true.

The car the person winds up looking at in Europe might be in completely different condition than any that are for sale here in the US and Canada. They might have had completely different part numbers for certain things than we did. Different ecu programming probably means different part numbers for the computers.

You can find a great Crossfire with any year attached to its title, but the most important thing to look for are records of repairs made to the car, and any warranty work done that replaced parts. The more new parts on a car, honestly, the better.

Would you rather have an early '04 with the fan issue, and a goofy shifter, or one that's been fixed?

BC.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Forum Regular

BC

You bring up some outstanding information about the 04/05 Xfires. As I was reading it two questions came to my mind, maybe someone has some information on these.

1. Did these problems effect many of the 04/05 cars?
2. Did the new parts fix the problems? My 2007 automatic had the transmission leak. Had to replace the RCM and crankcase position sensor also in my 2007. My 2005 6 speed has had no problems except the leaking valve covers which where a problem on the MB 170. My 2007 also had to have the valve covers redone.

I offer a couple of pieces of advice on car buying. Take the VIN # to a Chrysler dealer and have the service department run a history report which shows all warranty/TBS and repair work done by Chrysler. That combined with a carfax should give you a good starting point for bringing it to a Mercedes mechanic for a evaluation. I might also add to take it to a body shop you know and trust and have them look at it. My 2007 was carfax clean for accidents. My body shop guy walked around the car and pointed out all the spots that had been repaired/touched up. Nothing major but I was able to get $1500 off the price and had my body guy fix them for $500 and it looks like factory new. By the way it took him 10 minutes and honestly I would never have picked up the things he did and I am not a novice to car restoration. He also was not invested in the car. That helps like they say love is blind.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmorgan
I am not sure what you are basing me being a hot head on, but if that is what you believe..... I can live with that. The fact remains that to tell someone that is coming in here seeking information about Crossfires that they should stay away from 04 and 05 Crossfires because they are more problematic is irresponsible. To back that up by saying that cars have bugs worked out of them as the model years progress, is making a statement without knowledge of what changes were made in the Crossfire models or the history of the SLK320/32 drive train that this car is based on. Then to justify it by saying that an older model may have been treated worse is without merit as well. An 08 owned by an irresponsible person could be in much worse condition than an average 04. It is up to the purchaser to research the history of a car and determine how it was cared for. He stated that it seems like he hears of more issues with the older model years. Maybe it has to do more with the fact that the last Crossfire rolled off the assembly line in December of 2007, and only 2,000 Crossfires were produced in 2007. Additionally, only 4,805 were produced in 2006. That leaves 35,700 that were produced in 03, 28,000 in 04, and 12,500 in 05. Based on these numbers...... which model years will you see more discussion about? Does this correlate to the 6,800 that were produced in 06/07 being more reliable than the 76,200 that were produced between 2003 and 2005? No, it just means that 92% of Crossfire owners have a car that was produced between 2003 and 2005. As evidenced by these numbers, fewer Crossfires were produced each successive year after the 03 production, and considering that only 6,800 were produced in the last 2 years...... it is evident that Mercedes/Chrysler knew that the Crossfire was slated for the bone yard prior to the 06 production run. Do you really think any significant extra effort was put into the 06/07 production years. Not likely!

I could have omitted my first sentence and and been more PC, but it does not change the fact that wperaska was not providing knowledgeable advice about the Crossfire model years. In fact, he gave advice that was misleading based on the actual facts about the Crossfire. Maybe you think that it is acceptable to provide mis-information to users seeking advice on a purchase decision. I try to limit the advice that I give to the facts. On many occasions, I have helped answer questions about NA's for example and give the caveat that I am an SRT owner and that an NA owner would surely chime in with more detailed advice. I have been told that I was wrong in advice that I have given before..... Right Rudy....... I don't take it personal, and learn from it so that I can give better advice in the future.

My 05 has 27K miles on it, and I would dare say that there are very few 08's that are as close as nice or in near as good of condition as mine. The Crossfire is unique in the fact that a very high percentage of them are owned as pleasure/weekend cars, and are not driven on a daily basis. This makes it extremely easy to find well maintained 04 to 08 models that are in near pristine condition for a fraction of the price that they sold for new. Personally, if I were in the market for a second Crossfire (which I wish I could afford to get a coupe), I would focus on looking at 04 and 05 models as there are great deals on low mileage well maintained examples right now. But the bottom line is, I would look at any of the model years equally, and make my final decision based on the best car that I could get for my money. I would not think for even one second that I should spend more to get an 07 or 08 model year for reliability reasons. It simply is just not the case.

Anyway, if you believe that giving someone advice to stay away from 04/05 models is sound advice for a new member to receive that is looking to make a purchase decision then so be it. I will correct wrong information when I see it, and expect others to correct me when I am wrong.
Bladecutter is correct... the 04/05 models had a few MINOR issues that were corrected with the newer cars (or corrected before sold off the lots). I have a 2005 bought new in 2005 and I will be the first to admit it! I got a recall notice (cooling fan) and had the work done under warranty. I also had the headlight replaced which is another common problem (along with other typical issues). Now to BMorgan's point you are correct. It is based on the previous generation of SLK so it is already a pretty solid car. However, not all parts are Mercedes parts so after the first 2 years the bugs were worked out (which are minor bugs). So the old rule of "never buy the first year" does not really work in this case and is not entirely true.

As for the hot head comment.... you have thrown a few hard ***** at me in the past. Just throwing one back at ya! Heck... even I am guilty of throwing them first. So no offense We are good! All is ok... I am just messing with you!

Quick Reply: I want buy a crossfire.