Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Two Quick Questions: Running Temp and Automatic Shifting

Old 03-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Quick Questions: Running Temp and Automatic Shifting

It's been beautiful here in Michigan and there's two quick questions that I had about some observations I had. I've only driven my Crossfire consistently this week so I'm still getting used to it. Absolutely love it thus far. But anyway, here we go:

1. What's the average running temp of a Crossfire? Any car I've owned has always ran at just below half of the temperature gauge. The Crossfire follows this pattern although I've seen it tip just over half a few times. It goes just over half and hovers around there. Is this normal? All of my other cars have been rock solid at just below half unless there's something wrong. Just want to make sure there's no issue here.

2. I've noticed that some of the upshifts with my automatic are a little hesitant specifically between 2nd/3rd and 3rd/4th. I can feel the gear disengage and re-engage. I don't expect this car to be like butter smooth but after my Focus' transmission self destructed at 55,000 miles, I'm paranoid about transmissions...

Thanks guys!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Default Re: Two Quick Questions: Running Temp and Automatic Shifting

With the temp, I've noticed the same thing, so my guess would be it's normal, and a fair few higher performance cars especially with the added compression do tend to run a tad warmer, not all do though but I've seen it especially in my Datsuns. Of course I could be wrong. As for the shifting I just assumed that was it's thing, but now that you mention it, I wonder why it does do that.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Post Re: Two Quick Questions: Running Temp and Automatic Shifting

My car runs just below 1/2 mark normal driving,aggressive driving engaging sc and using auto shift will go just above 1/2. Have not noticed trans shifting differently .

Old 03-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkKnight88
With the temp, I've noticed the same thing, so my guess would be it's normal, and a fair few higher performance cars especially with the added compression do tend to run a tad warmer, not all do though but I've seen it especially in my Datsuns. Of course I could be wrong. As for the shifting I just assumed that was it's thing, but now that you mention it, I wonder why it does do that.
my tends to go above some times as well, i would say thats gotta be normal. untile you see the red zone you know you got probs. and for the trans and with working with transes id say sinc rows possiblely, dont quote me on that. but these auto trans on our cars are pretty dam smooth. i drive manual but dosent seem like thats to normal

Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 AM

As for the shifting I just assumed that was it's thing, but now that you mention it, I wonder why it does do that.
I'm glad you know what I'm talking about. I'm a little hesitant to take it in to a dealer especially one in this area. I also assumed that what I was feeling was just it's thing but now I'm slightly worried. It doesn't thrash me around or anything but you can just feel the transmission disengage, go for the next tone and then engage. Hmm.

My car is still under warranty but that didn't stop my Ford dealer from not even looking at my Focus' transmission until the third visit. I'm concerned I'll be treated the same way again with this ("We didn't find anything so you owe us $100").

Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a throttle reset. Search here for it.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Try a throttle reset. Search here for it.
I actually "theoretically" did one when I had my battery disconnected for a few days while I had my RCM soldered. Weird thing is the ESP/BAS light never came on when it was reconnected like everyone says it would...

Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, yup that resets the adaptations too.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Ok, yup that resets the adaptations too.
I guess I can try it again. I wish I could drive someone else's Crossfire to see if mine is different or something. I'd be pretty upset if a car with under 6,000 miles is already having transmission problems.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 AM

My 2006 LTD Roadster, 6 speed manual, runs at half the gauge, but can cycle a bit. This, I feel is a function of the thermostat and the temp fan relay. They do have a dead band in which they operate. As far as the trans is concerned, mine is a 6 speed manual and I have only driven an automatic once. It sounds like something is not correct if you feel it engage, disengage, etc as you drive.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by wpetraska
I guess I can try it again. I wish I could drive someone else's Crossfire to see if mine is different or something. I'd be pretty upset if a car with under 6,000 miles is already having transmission problems.
I'm fairly certain that's not the case. I just think that it's a somewhat sport oriented transmission that doesn't shift smoothly. When I say I can feel it disengage and then reengage I don't notice it any more than one would in say a paddle shift or a manual and most sports cars with automatics shift differently than other cars with autos. At most I might look into a transmission flush. Just my two cents, and as always I could be wrong. Hopefully one of the experts will shed some light on the subject.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:53 AM

At most I might look into a transmission flush.
Thats what I was thinking as well. Even with low miles, it wasn't driven that much so I assume I could use a good transmission flush. Has anyone ever gotten one done at a Mercedes shop?

I'm positive that what I'm feeling is normal now that I'm getting used to it. I think I'm just not used to a sportier transmission.

Last edited by wpetraska; 04-05-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Do a search on transmission leaks. There's a sensor that has been problematic and there may be a TSB. If it is low on fluid, it may cause shifting problems. I don't notice any hesitation with my SRT6 tranny shifts.