Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New Radio w/ GPS Navigation

Old 05-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I got the word from my dealership today and they contacted Chrysler........."there are separate components that requires the system to be installed at the factory. Even a 2005 without NAV cannot be retrofitted"................... ANYWAY thats what they told me. :roll:
I am just going to hang out a while.......... :wink:

Old 05-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Forum Regular

Check my album there is a picture of it there.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:37 PM

Ughhh! I'll take the regular radio with an aftermarket DVD based pop-up screen. $1200 for that? All in green and black. All I can say is Ughhh.

Old 05-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't talk to any dealer or Chrysler about putting the nav system in a 2004 crossfire. They know nothing. Call Becker of North America they make the radio and nav system. They told me you have to add the GPS antenna (dash mounted) and just plug in the nav system to the same plugs that go to your present radio.....

Old 05-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Forum Regular

You will need to tap a speed sense wire at the amplifier for the 04 model.

The uit works extremely well and i much quicker to respond than the traffic pro pictured in this thread.

Old 05-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Infinity
Check my album there is a picture of it there.
You have this unit in YOUR car :?: Or photo'd a 2005 somewhere :?:

If you indeed have this in a 2004, could you give us some details like where you got it, what ELSE you had to buy other than just a head, how the install went, etc. :?: :?: :?:

Old 05-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Forum Regular

I work for a division of Harman and was chosen to test the system for our OE division since I am on the road quite a bit and cover most of the east coast during my travels, and own a Crossfire.

Install took a bit less than 15 min at best. Really plug and play from the aspect of the main harness.

I assume that the 2005 harness will change to add one wire for the speed sense for the nav system and some OE location for the GPS antenna.

As for the operation, it gives you all the data you would get in a screen based system minus the red carrot traveling a line on a map.

It makes for a less distracting driving experience vs video based systems which tend to be obtrusive, although if you are into watching movies while you drive video is the way to go, or in some states a quick way of getting a ticket.

The Traffic Pro systems pictured in these posts is the orginal Nav system used by BMW and other "high end car companies" in eorope for some time now, and for about a year or so sold here in the US through select dealers. It is a bit slower unit and with less memory than tthe newer systems that will make into the Crossfire. The technology has proven itself for many years in europe where you are maping countries not states.

Old 05-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Default Where to find the GPS radio?

Becker of North America says they don't offer radios, Mopar site doesn't list it. Crossfire site lists it as an option. Do you all think Mopar will sell it and the antenna later?

Old 05-17-2004, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Infinity
I work for a division of Harman and was chosen to test the system for our OE division since I am on the road quite a bit and cover most of the east coast during my travels, and own a Crossfire.

Install took a bit less than 15 min at best. Really plug and play from the aspect of the main harness.

I assume that the 2005 harness will change to add one wire for the speed sense for the nav system and some OE location for the GPS antenna.

As for the operation, it gives you all the data you would get in a screen based system minus the red carrot traveling a line on a map.

It makes for a less distracting driving experience vs video based systems which tend to be obtrusive, although if you are into watching movies while you drive video is the way to go, or in some states a quick way of getting a ticket.

The Traffic Pro systems pictured in these posts is the orginal Nav system used by BMW and other "high end car companies" in eorope for some time now, and for about a year or so sold here in the US through select dealers. It is a bit slower unit and with less memory than tthe newer systems that will make into the Crossfire. The technology has proven itself for many years in europe where you are maping countries not states.
Where did they place the antenna? Got a pict of the location?

Old 05-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Forum Regular

It's under the dash

Old 05-19-2004, 07:12 PM

I use a Toshiba E740 with AnywhereMap for flying and and Delorme MapnGo on the same unit on the ground when really needed. ;-)
The total cost of the E740 and the software is probably somewhere around $700-800 but it also carries all my other data :-) Can be used for a quick wireless e-mail where the service is available (Starbucks :-) ) and a few other things I can't think of right now.
I think I'll stick with the stock radio for the time being but I have always played with the thought of a flip-up DVD since I saw one at the Las Vegas show.

Old 05-20-2004, 04:46 PM

Hey Infinity, whats the model number and price for the HARMAN GPS SYSTEM you have in your XFIRE? Is it available to the public yet? Does the HARMAN dealer install, or do you take the unit to a Chrysler dealer for installation? Is it DVD based? Does it play CD's? Let me know...

Old 05-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Forum Regular

I don't have model number, it is a prototype unit, Chrysler will assign their own to the unit.

Pricing is set by Chrysler for the 2005 models.

I am, sure your dealer can install the unit, but since it will be an option on the new cars they most likly will have crossfires on their lots with them in the cars already.

CD based, the main reason for companies to use DVD seems to be the sheer amount of data for the digital maps for the video display. 2 CDs cover the entire US, jmight be different for other countries.

It replaces the factory radio and does play CDs.

Pics of the unit are in my album

Old 05-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Default Sirius Radio ???

Does anyone know if Chrysler offers a Sirius Radio option? We have a 2004 Platinum Edition PT Cruiser & it was already on the car. It is awesome. LOVE it! Wish that we could get one for our Xfire!

Old 05-26-2004, 12:34 AM

Does anybody know how such a navigation system would work? I just looked at a local dealership at a new '05 Crossfire Coupe Limited... Aero Blue... Six Speed... WITH the Navigation... most navigation systems with the big screens have buttons to insert the information... how does it work on the new Navigation system of the Crossfire? is it all voice activated?

Old 05-26-2004, 01:07 AM

I'm gonna go to my dealer some time later this week. You guys want some more pics of the GPS system in the '05 Crossfire?