Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Fixed the buzzing fan

Old 07-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed the buzzing fan

So, I just got my new to me XF 2004, and I”m completely excited about this ride. I’ve changed wiper blades, restored headlights, and the interior is in wonderful shape, but I noticed this buzzing sound when I turned on the A/C. I realized that SOMETHING was in the motor area rubbing against the fan blades. I checked out some posts on this forum and decided I’d use the guidance provided to try a DIY solution.

Well, I went under the passenger side compartment; removed the cover in the footwell area; removed the fan cover as well, and found all the leaves and debris that was creating the problem. Before I put everything back together, I ran the fan and STILL had the problem. I knew I would have to remove the fan itself and get what was on the topside. I had to borrow a neighbor’s tools (for torx screws), pull the fan out and clean out the remaining leaves.

After putting everything back, it runs quiet as a church mouse. SO NICE!!. The worse part of this project was working in the tight and cramped space. I’m 6’ 188 lbs; not big, but large enough to struggle with that area.

My next assignment will be to replace the cabin filter when it comes in; it’s already on order since Thursday.

So, thanks to this forum for the great resources available to us DIY guys (and gals). It’s much appreciated.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Fixed the buzzing fan

Originally Posted by crossfire ninja
So, I just got my new to me XF 2004, and I”m completely excited about this ride. I’ve changed wiper blades, restored headlights, and the interior is in wonderful shape, but I noticed this buzzing sound when I turned on the A/C. I realized that SOMETHING was in the motor area rubbing against the fan blades. I checked out some posts on this forum and decided I’d use the guidance provided to try a DIY solution.

Well, I went under the passenger side compartment; removed the cover in the footwell area; removed the fan cover as well, and found all the leaves and debris that was creating the problem. Before I put everything back together, I ran the fan and STILL had the problem. I knew I would have to remove the fan itself and get what was on the topside. I had to borrow a neighbor’s tools (for torx screws), pull the fan out and clean out the remaining leaves.

After putting everything back, it runs quiet as a church mouse. SO NICE!!. The worse part of this project was working in the tight and cramped space. I’m 6’ 188 lbs; not big, but large enough to struggle with that area.

My next assignment will be to replace the cabin filter when it comes in; it’s already on order since Thursday.

So, thanks to this forum for the great resources available to us DIY guys (and gals). It’s much appreciated.
I'm bigger'n you and I really hate working under the dash areas. If I have an extended job in the future-out come the seats!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Forum Regular

I've had to do this about 3 or 4 times since I got the car. It's become routine maintenance now. I still have no idea how all that debris makes it past the filter.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:10 PM

Well, I don’t envy if someone is bigger than me and has to do that job; it’s not an easy space to work in. My back is still hurting from that experience.

Shapeshifter: I’m not all that sure HOW the leaves get in there either, but I vacuumed out a bunch from under the hood in that upper section of the engine bay on the passengers side. That’s where they are coming in, so I took those that were present OUT of there.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you remove the black cowling just under the windshield where the wiperss come out of you will see a rather large 3" x 6" open hole into your fan / filter and passenger compartment. Dirt debris and leaves slip in from the side past the little rubber fingers and can cause a blockage of the water drain leading to water getting into the passenger area during heavy rains. If you found a lot of leaves and debris in area by the fan I would remove the cover and clean out the debris before you have a water backup and a leak. Do a search for passenger side water leaks for detailed procedure.