Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New to the forum! Chicagoland

Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum! Chicagoland

Hey everyone! Let me start by introducing myself before i get into the questions i have, So i am 20 yrs old. Im from Schererville,Indiana. Recently landed a job with the union as a machine operator and hvae been wanting to get a new car. I have owned just about a little of everything. 1998 Monte carlo z34,1990 Volvo 740, Mazda protege 1995 del sol. 1998 VW jetta 1996 Lexus sc400, and currently a 2001 monte carlo for my winter car and a 1995 lexus sc300 with a fresh 2jzge and trans in it. but after alot of thinking anf talkn with my parents i have decided i want a new car. So the car i am considering is either a crossfire or a wagon of some shot. I have weird taste in cars . Anywho what are some things i should look for when looking at a crossfire. What are the main complaints problems u have had with your crossfire. And what should i expect to pay. I am looking at both the coupe and the srt6 since they are reasonably priced i just dont know how i feel about the whole benz motor. How are they? gas wise etc etc. not to worried about the gas as long as it is 18+ city ha

Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 467 Likes on 326 Posts
Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Default Re: New to the forum!! Chicagoland

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Thank you sir. i was reading threw the thread right after posting it. but sometimes small lil things that erk people arent covered

Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: New to the forum! Chicagoland

Welcome... there are quite a few Chicagoland guys. Good luck with your search and enjoy!

Old 01-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BoBo you have an addiction, or at the very least, a habit. You're only 20 and you have already gone thru 8 cars.
I too had the same addiction for over 38 years. Then in 2005 I was cured by the Crossfire.
It's been nearly 7 years now and I still have no desire for any other car. It's saved me $1000's
If there is anything that "erks" Crossfire owners, it would probably be the cup holder. Oh, and Chrysler Dealers.
You will love an SRT.
Good Hunting.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by ImportLabSRT
Welcome... there are quite a few Chicagoland guys. Good luck with your search and enjoy!
Thank you sir! i need to meet up with someone around here and see how the srt6 is before i get one. not having to good of luck in the area. might just need to buy a one way ticket and fly somewhere.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
BoBo you have an addiction, or at the very least, a habit. You're only 20 and you have already gone thru 8 cars.
I too had the same addiction for over 38 years. Then in 2005 I was cured by the Crossfire.
It's been nearly 7 years now and I still have no desire for any other car. It's saved me $1000's
If there is anything that "erks" Crossfire owners, it would probably be the cup holder. Oh, and Chrysler Dealers.
You will love an SRT.
Good Hunting.
i know i confess i get tired of cars to quickly. and nothing can beat my volvo 740 with cupholders...it had none. my sc300 has a shitty pull down design as well its useless unless you are going in a straight line. I used to work at Napelton mercedes benz so i might talk to the mechanics there if anything that needs to be done that i cant figure out on my own or dont feel comfortable doing. i would use my srt as a dailey so i need to do some research and see how they are for a dailey use all seasons here in indiana. although i have a winter car so it might get stored. i am going to look at a reg crossfire automatic tomorrow just to see one upclose. i dont want an auto if i get a reg crossfire i just want to drive it and see if i like the feel and go from there. i want really want a white one like u have. i am into making my car look good over speed so it would def get lowered on a nice set of wide wheels. just getting to excited watching youtube video after youtube video

Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Forum Regular

if you can't find a local member, you may want to swing by these guys. they have a SRT on eBay

Chrysler : Crossfire Chrysler : Crossfire | eBay

I love my 05 as a daily driver. Makes me look forward to the morning drive

Good Luck

Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Received 382 Likes on 330 Posts

bobo, this forum will tell you EVERYTHING you need for your next (and only) car! The help here has saved literally thousands for many members. The service manuals are available for download, the how-too's are all over many with picture tutorials, and the folks here will most likely help you with ANYTHING you need help with. I suggest you peruse the search button first, then ask away! I sincerely doubt you'll have a subject that has not yet been asked so search away! Oh, welcome, hope you get a car SOON!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Always glad to see a new member. Welcome. You might want to read the thread about what you should carry if you travel. I ignored this list and spent a few days in hooterville because of it. They are for the most part very reliable. But new parts can be a wait.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by TomSRT
if you can't find a local member, you may want to swing by these guys. they have a SRT on eBay

Chrysler : Crossfire Chrysler : Crossfire | eBay

I love my 05 as a daily driver. Makes me look forward to the morning drive

Good Luck
i saw that one on ebay. as well lol. It does look nice. i just have to make sure that with the problems i have read these have that either i can fix them or have someone who can and knows what to do.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:46 PM

We are not too terribly different in age, although I am a little older, and we are both Indiana guys, feel free to PM me with your number if you just want to discuss some of the things to look for. If you like manuals, you will be disappointed with the AT limited/base XF, so you need to drive a 6MT. If you want to drive a modified one, let me know, I am in Indianapolis. I may be able to help with your modding questions as well, here are my last 2 XFs...

I drove a modified (fast as hell) SRT before I bought my second NA XF, and IMO, the 100+ extra horsepower can rarely be used (I autoX and drive it daily) and I could not stand to drive an 'automatic sports car'. To each his own.

and it goes without saying, Boiler Up! and welcome aboard.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
bobo, this forum will tell you EVERYTHING you need for your next (and only) car! The help here has saved literally thousands for many members. The service manuals are available for download, the how-too's are all over many with picture tutorials, and the folks here will most likely help you with ANYTHING you need help with. I suggest you peruse the search button first, then ask away! I sincerely doubt you'll have a subject that has not yet been asked so search away! Oh, welcome, hope you get a car SOON!
Thank you sir! i was using the search bar when posting this but everyone has those lil nicks and irks that get to them and i have a weird style so i am sure i will have something as well.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
We are not too terribly different in age, although I am a little older, and we are both Indiana guys, feel free to PM me with your number if you just want to discuss some of the things to look for. If you like manuals, you will be disappointed with the AT limited/base XF, so you need to drive a 6MT. If you want to drive a modified one, let me know, I am in Indianapolis. I may be able to help with your modding questions as well, here are my last 2 XFs...

I drove a modified (fast as hell) SRT before I bought my second NA XF, and IMO, the 100+ extra horsepower can rarely be used (I autoX and drive it daily) and I could not stand to drive an 'automatic sports car'. To each his own.

and it goes without saying, Boiler Up! and welcome aboard.

your gray one scream sex...that thing is flawless. i am not a huge fan of the SRT wheels that come on the XF i feel they are a little to "ghetto" (dont want to be disrespectful) for me

Old 01-17-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by boboridesbmx
your gray one scream sex...that thing is flawless. i am not a huge fan of the SRT wheels that come on the XF i feel they are a little to "ghetto" (dont want to be disrespectful) for me
Thanks, the graphite metallic is the newer toy, the black one was wrecked

And those are not SRT wheels they are 20" Giovanna's at each corner, 8" front and 10" rears with a 4" lip, that rear lip was SEX

Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Thanks, the graphite metallic is the newer toy, the black one was wrecked

And those are not SRT wheels they are 20" Giovanna's at each corner, 8" front and 10" rears with a 4" lip, that rear lip was SEX
i know those arent the stock ones, they look way better IMO tho.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 PM

ok so i went to a local dealer today to just see and drive a XF just because i havent drove one. it was base of the base. AUTO and not a srt. it has 36k miles on it they are asking 10.8 there are a few qwerks on it, worn interior a bit. headlights foggy. ill nit pick anything and i did. they were surprised how much i knew about the car and i learned it all from here. I was actually surprised by how responsive the stock auto XF is...i can only imagine how the SRT is. but i told them i wanted to drive it and see how i felt about it and just bullshitted them one thing lead to another and they let me have the car for a day. i beat on it. not lying i got on it alot. was surprised for a dig it didnt have the dynaaudio system but still bumped pretty decent. here is the craigslist add for it. i want to go look at the srt6 in chicago but i really dont like the color...like at all lol
2004 Chrysler Crossfire Red 35k

Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 PM

Well the SRT's came in limited colors compared to the rest and there isn't very many made so color might be a secondary consideration if SRT is what you had you heart set on. In '04 there was no base of the base, there was only 1 trim level that was pretty much equivalent to a Limited of later years. I don't think that there was a base red one, although there was a red SE version in later years. The '04 year had self dimming rear view mirror mostly not found in later years if at all. The base cars had in quick view a black windshield surround (instead of silver) among other things. Chassie wise they were the same though.

Last edited by Larry Hitze; 01-17-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
Well the SRT's came in limited colors compared to the rest and there isn't very many made so color might be a secondary consideration if SRT is what you had you heart set on. In '04 there was no base of the base, there was only 1 trim level that was pretty much equivalent to a Limited of later years. I don't think that there was a base red one, although there was a red SE version in later years. The '04 year had self dimming rear view mirror mostly not found in later years if at all. The base cars had in quick view a black windshield surround (instead of silver) among other things. Chassie wise they were the same though.
this was the red version they said 04...i dont know if the 04 had any bad things that the other models didnt since that is the first year the XF was made right?

Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by boboridesbmx
this was the red version they said 04...i dont know if the 04 had any bad things that the other models didnt since that is the first year the XF was made right?
Yes that's the first year. Mine is a '04 and I don't have any more problems than anyone else. Remember that the chassis is nothing new, straight from the MB SLK -- they made hundreds of thousands of these engine trannny chassis combos. Judge each of these on it's own merits the technology is sound.

Quick Reply: New to the forum! Chicagoland