Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Alarm system, radio, key fob, battery - are they all connected?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm system, radio, key fob, battery - are they all connected?

Here is some back story-

On Friday, while I was at work, my alarm system went off 4 or 5 times. I finally had to pull the #9 fuse to get it to shut up temporarily. I did some research on here, and read that this happens quite a bit on Crossfires and it's usually one of a few different things;

1. Door sensor
2. Siren
3. SKREEM system
4. dying battery

On Saturday, it was a real nice day so I took the Crossfire out for a spin around town. Pulling out of a McD's parking lot, my radio started acting a bit strange. I have an aftermarket Pioneer system with back up camera and built in navi. The backup cam flap usually opens automatically and the radio turns on when the car is started. The system didn't open, and instead was flashing and turning on and off for a period of about 3 minutes. Finally it turned on and stayed on. While it was flashing on and off, I was listening and heard some electrical fan in the console turning on and off (not sure if it was just the fan that is built into the Pioneer system).

Driving around, the radio shut off one more time, then came back on and I haven't had the problem since. I will say, this radio problem has happened once or twice before, but it was never a real cause for alarm for me.

So right now, with my #9 fuse still out, I don't have automatic locks or interior lights. A small inconvenience for me, but it's a better solution (for now) then having my alarm blaring 5 or 6 times a day.

Something occurred to me today. When I bought the car, the key that came with the car was severely damaged. There is a story behind it, but I always planned on buying a new key in the near future. Anyways, a few days ago, the red strip of plastic on the right top of the key fell off and I wasn't able to find it. I didn't think anything of it, but, just a theory-

Could this explain my alarm system probems? Somehow the key fob being broken has set off my alarm?

Here is the key in question;

Another theory I have- it could very well be a dying battery and I think it would explain the radio issue well.

By the way, I want to thank all of you for your help. I've been on this site for a month now and have learned so much by searching through threads and watching you guys post.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Default Re: Alarm system, radio, key fob, battery- are they all connected?

Update-

I took the battery to the mechanic to have him test it on the way home from work. It passed. He told me there was too much corrosion on the negative terminal and to clean it out and put the fuse back in to see what happens.

Would explain the alarm going haywire and the radio shorting out. So I took a toothbrush to it all, and put the fuse back in.

Warned the neighbors of possible imminent car alarm at 3am, but right now I just have one ear to the outside to see if it goes off.

Here is to hoping. I was looking at the prices of new key fobs... $139. Not looking forward to spending that but I will if thats what it takes.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:10 PM

Ironically, as I clicked reply, I heard the alarm go off again. Sigh..... Back to square one but I guess I have a clean negative battery terminal

Old 03-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

It still sounds like a battery going bad. Is it the original battery?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
It still sounds like a battery going bad. Is it the original battery?
It's a Bosch... I didn't bother to look at the "born on" date but it was replaced before I bought it.

And one more thing, me being the idiot went to take off the negative terminal when I was cleaning off the corrosion and the bolt was so corroded that when I broke the torque on the nut the bolt broke in half. Half of it is now corroded and rusted in the negative terminal clamps. Was unsuccessful in half *** attempts to get the broken bolt out but I might try heating up the clamps so they will expand.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:46 PM
Default Re: Alarm system, radio, key fob, battery - are they all connected?

I had a similar issue, it was the unit (not sure what it is called ) under the back mat it got wet and stopped working I was able to find a replacement and that fixed the issue