Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I am looking at buying a 2007 coupe...l Need advice!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am looking at buying a 2007 coupe...l Need advice!

Hey All,
I am looking at buying a 2007 coupe, base model with 65k miles. I am in the market for a fun car, something to enjoy during the summer months. I have narrowed it down to an 01' Toyota MR2 spyder, am 03' Nissan 350Z and the 07' Crossfire. Are the Crossfires significantly more expensive to maintain (given their benz heritage) than the other japanese cars I listed? Are they a good reliable, fun car to own? I don't need a speed demon, just something stylish and quick, something to have fun on my long (45 mile or so) commute to work. Thanks in advance! Frank R.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Default Re: I am looking at buying a 2007 coupe..l Need advice!!

Supongo que de los coches que plantea el 350Z y el Crossfire su mantenimiento será algo más caro en el Crossfire , dado su extraña medida de neumaticos traseros o las tarifas de los talleres mercedes , en cualquier caso no será en absoluto un mantenimiento muy superior en precio al del Nissan.

Dado el tiempo que llevan en el mercado la fiabilidad de esos coches está fuera de duda ,obviando algunos fallos como el que yo padecí.

Si busca un coche muy rapido y racing con buen paso por curva , el Nissan 350Z .

Por el contrario si busca un coche de paseo pero capaz de mantener velocidades altas por autovia , Crossfire.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:50 PM

Can anyone translate that to english for me? Thanks.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 PM

I guess for the cars they planted the Crossfire HIS 350Z And something more expensive maintenance sera in the Crossfire, Socket Measure Your Strange rear tire or Fees Workshops Mercedes, in any case, no sera from the United Nations Maintenance at All Very higher price than the Nissan. Given the time been on the market Reliability of ESOs cars this beyond doubt, obviating some failures like I suffered. If no car Looking Very fast and runs with good cornering, the Nissan 350Z. By contrast if the UN Find car ride But Able to maintain high speeds for highway, Crossfire.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TRUTH
Hey All,
I am looking at buying a 2007 coupe, base model with 65k miles. I am in the market for a fun car, something to enjoy during the summer months. I have narrowed it down to an 01' Toyota MR2 spyder, am 03' Nissan 350Z and the 07' Crossfire. Are the Crossfires significantly more expensive to maintain (given their benz heritage) than the other japanese cars I listed? Are they a good reliable, fun car to own? I don't need a speed demon, just something stylish and quick, something to have fun on my long (45 mile or so) commute to work. Thanks in advance! Frank R.
TRUTH
What is the pricing on the three candidates? Are they all stick shift cars? Aside from the base Crossfire, what are the other model levels with the other candidates? I rejected the 350Z, due to the suspension issues that ate up tires until the 2006 model year.
The Crossfire is "fun" to drive and own, due to the limited production. Keep in mind the base model does not have all of the bells and wistles of the limited, no leather, fog lights, no amplifier and subs, that may be a downside to the comparison. Its all about the cost of the cars mentioned. The oil changes are anywhere from DIY $75 to a dealer change of $120-$150, but its good for 8,000 miles.
Come back with more details and I'm sure others will respond. Also use the search button for advice on new car purchases.
Good Luck,
Dennis
DTMenace

Old 04-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only owned the Crossfire for two weeks so I can't comment on reliability but I will say that the early model 350s did have some issues and 2003 doesn't get the sweet brakes they put on later.. and the MR2 is an interesting car being mid engine but the later the model year, the slower it got. I believe the Crossfire is quicker than the MR2.. if you're looking for light and fun, you'd be better off with a Miata than an MR2 but personally I chose the Crossfire because of its personality and uniqueness.. I did the same shopping around for the same cars as you and decided to buy an 04 limited 6spd coupe... I went older to get the limited and keep some cash for modifications

Old 04-28-2012, 04:28 PM

BTW my name is also Frank R... So you can trust me lol

Old 04-28-2012, 04:52 PM

Guys,
Thanks for the help!! The Z is a stick, leather, bose system. Salvage titled, I had it inspected by a trusted friend who is a great tech and he not only said it was in great shape, but was impressed by it (that is saying alot, he hates foreign cars) the MR2 is a 2001, new motor with 30k, salvage title, leather, stick, new tires etc. The crossfire is a base model, stick with 65k miles and new tires. I would never want a miata, not for me. The mr2 is a cool car, the z was gorgeous and a rocket and the crossfire is totally unique. I will be driving it in the sumemr as a fun car, on a pretty long commute to work. Practicality is not a concern. I just want a fun, reliable car that doesnt cost a ton to own. I am just concerned the Mercedes based crossfire will be too expensive for me to maintain (brakes, ball joints, alternator etc) I dont make a ton of money.
The Z is $8000
The MR2 is $4800
The Crossfire is $9000

Old 04-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: I am looking at buying a 2007 coupe...l Need advice!

Welcome. I have a 2007 base coupe and have had no issues. I change the oil for about $55 or $60.(easy job) I've changed break pads also easy.
I dont worry about some of the bells and whistles (cup holders,heated seats,tps) because some have had trouble with them. I replaced my stock base radio. Chrysler charges a lot for parts and repairs so if something needs fixing look on this fourm and you can find a less expensive way to go. Maybe your tech friend can help if you need repairs. I would buy my car again in a second. The people and info on this Forum are great. Let us know what you choose.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 461 Likes on 324 Posts

Can anyone translate that to english for me? Thanks.

I see you have already gotten the English reply but if you ever need a quick translation use this

Google Translate

Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm the original owner of an 07 Limited (stick) 6 spd. I've put almost 78,000 miles on it so far. I've only had 2 problems....tiny leak in valve cover gaskets & tiny rear axle leak.....I probably wouldn't even have gotten those 2 things fixed....except they were covered by my Lifetime Powertrain Warranty...so why not.

I do mostly highway driving & as such average a hair over 25 mpg.

The FSS (oil life monitor) will let you go >8,000 miles between oil changes.

I got mine up to 131 mph once (in 5th) before I had second thoughts about the age of the tires.

Also the cooling fan got weird for a few hours once after I took it up over a hundred when it was minus 5 degrees F outside. After a while it's little brain reset itself.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If those are your 3 choices, I would buy the Crossfire. Simple answer. More complex answer. The Crossfire hasn't been worked on. And there is a reason for that. Good luck with your choice.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:42 AM

Doc, what are you doing up this early?

I'm ashamed to admit it.....but, I'm starting to kinda like an 03 T-Bird my wife kinda inherited recently...

Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm on duty, supposedly working...in car 'puter....lol I like the T-Birds....especially if free...lol..

Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 AM

I remember the first time I saw one of the new T-Birds.....I was at a Chevy dealerships buying a new (around 2000-1) Z-24 for my daughter (16 at the time)....the Chevy dealer had a new T-Bird on their showroom floor(????)....they were asking $50K for it??????????

Old 04-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Guys,
Thanks for the help!! The Z is a stick, leather, bose system. Salvage titled, I had it inspected by a trusted friend who is a great tech and he not only said it was in great shape, but was impressed by it (that is saying alot, he hates foreign cars) the MR2 is a 2001, new motor with 30k, salvage title, leather, stick, new tires etc. The crossfire is a base model, stick with 65k miles and new tires. I would never want a miata, not for me. The mr2 is a cool car, the z was gorgeous and a rocket and the crossfire is totally unique. I will be driving it in the sumemr as a fun car, on a pretty long commute to work. Practicality is not a concern. I just want a fun, reliable car that doesnt cost a ton to own. I am just concerned the Mercedes based crossfire will be too expensive for me to maintain (brakes, ball joints, alternator etc) I dont make a ton of money.
The Z is $8000
The MR2 is $4800
The Crossfire is $9000
With salvaged titles, you're pretty much into that car for the long haul because reselling is always a lot more difficult.. I love the Z cars and you'll find a lot more go fast parts for them but like I said, I'd rather have a later model year Z where the issues were sorted out.. given the prices you listed, it seems like you must like the Crossfire enough to even consider it compared to those other much less expensive vehicles.. that is a great price for the Crossfire though.. I just bought my 04 with 69k for $1500 more than the one you're looking at so you're getting a pretty good deal there (albeit not the limited which it sounds like you can do without.. I'm just a sucker for leather interiors)

Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Truth, I too have a base 2007 Crossfire purchased new from the dealer. I have had a great experience with the car. If you drive it carefully on your commute, you could get close to 30 mpg. I agree with joejet - the fewer the options, the fewer the problems! Enjoy!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular

The CF is a pleasure to drive. If you want fun, get a Miata.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:39 AM

if u want style reliable/cruzer go for the crossfire it has a decent amount of power for a daily drive.
Go the 350z if u want power.. as for the service cost i would say they would be the same.
if you want to mod your car the crossfire has limited choices there are big options for the 350z
the mr2 is a great little car but i think has been dated and wont nearly look as good as the crossfire / 350z\

do a coin flip or test drive both cars i guess as said before its a personality choice gl.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 PM
AlG
Forum Regular

Honestly, parts can be quite expensive. I don't particularly care for salvage titled cars because if there's an insurance loss you won't get what the car cost you. If I was looking to spend $8000 I'd buy a six cylinder Mustang convertible. It's cheap to own, doesn't use premium fuel and parts are cheap.

Quick Reply: I am looking at buying a 2007 coupe...l Need advice!