Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Hood Latch Adjustment

Old 06-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hood Latch Adjustment

I searched here and the tech manual but could not find anything on how to adjust the hood latch. My hood seems to be closed, but when you pull up hard, it pops up (like it would if you had pulled the release). I noticed this at first when I hit about 95 mph and it looked to me like the front left corner of the hood was coming up a bit.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Hood Latch Adjustment

Are you sure it doesn't just need a good closing. Our hoods are very heavy and sometimes they look closed but they are not. I had a dealership work on my car once. The hood seemed to be closed until I got on the highway. I could see it moving. I had to give it a good drop to get it to close.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

if the good drop does not close it
then you have two things you need to look at 1 when you think it is closed about 16: up the side both sides is the finder higher or lower than the hood. fender lower then drop your hood from about 10: high.
if fender is even and hooh is loose then the two rubber *** looking stops on each side on the front radiater support drop them ONE TURN.,, now if the hood is below the fenders the put those back one turn and look at your latch there are three bolts that will let you adjust it,, turn those bolts about 1/2 turn ,,,you don;t want the latch to fall loose ,,,now tap the latch upward, )))only about 1/16 of a inch thiften the therr bolts if not right keep doing that until you get the hood tight on the stoppers and level with the fenders . good luck,, i have done mine many times. jim

Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
if the good drop does not close it
then you have two things you need to look at 1 when you think it is closed about 16: up the side both sides is the finder higher or lower than the hood. fender lower then drop your hood from about 10: high.
if fender is even and hooh is loose then the two rubber *** looking stops on each side on the front radiater support drop them ONE TURN.,, now if the hood is below the fenders the put those back one turn and look at your latch there are three bolts that will let you adjust it,, turn those bolts about 1/2 turn ,,,you don;t want the latch to fall loose ,,,now tap the latch upward, )))only about 1/16 of a inch thiften the therr bolts if not right keep doing that until you get the hood tight on the stoppers and level with the fenders . good luck,, i have done mine many times. jim
If you can figure out what Jim is saying-he's right. "Dropping" the hood from ~ 1' (12") should fully engage the primary latch. If you do this, and then give it a good tug upwards, it should be secure.If the height match between the hood edges and the fenders, at the front is good and even, you may have to adjust the latch.

Is the complete assembly clean and lubricated? It is on the "one wrench" service.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The crossmember, hood, hood latch ... everything was replaced after the wreck - which is why it's not quite all adjusted right. Definitely needs the latch adjusted. I'll give it a shot later or tomorrow