Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Alex's 2005 Limited Coupe Build Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alex's 2005 Limited Coupe Build Thread

Hey everyone! I bought this crossfire back in December, i liked the car mostly because you don't see them everywhere. Unlike Mustangs and Camaro's...

Modifying cars has always been a hobby of mine and considering i got this car relatively cheap (had a bad RCM and the seller didn't know what to do), i have some cash left over to customize it. So lets start!

First things first, i've never been a huge fan of red...

Unfortunately paint is too expensive, and decreases resale value. My best option is to vinyl wrap. I purchased some of SimCarbon's white carbon fiber vinyl wrap. White crossfires have always looked the best IMO, but i figure if i'm going to wrap i might as well make it something paint can't do. This wrap does that very well.

These are the tools i used. A few drops of dish soap in a bucket of water to clean the exterior, rubbing alcohol to make sure it's clean, scissors, a razor blade, a credit card in a microfiber case, a hair dryer, and a whole lat of patience.

First half of the hood done, not looking too bad...

Second half of the hood.... I'm going to end up redoing it. It's not too bad for a first attempt but i underestimated the amount of stretching needed when you get to the ends. to many air bubbles, especially in the hood creases. Scrap the hair dryer, i'm going to need a heat gun. Also it is impossible to get the back corners with the hood on, so i must take it off. From here on out i am going to take each body panel off as i wrap it.

door almost off...

Unplugging the door wiring plain sucks. The air bag wires need to be individually disconnected from it connector. You will need something to push each pin it, i used a pen. Also the vacuum connector for the door locks is nearly impossible to disconnect. I just cut the hose very close to the connector and used a razor blade to remove the remaining hose on the connector. I will slide it back on when i put the door back on.

Door off...

Removing the rocker panel...

Fender off. Be careful removing the fender, do not bend it. The are A LOT of bolts holding it on located under the hood, in the door jam, behind the rocker panel, in the wheel well, and attached the the front bumper. Take your time.

the side gills are held in by urethane glue and double sided foam tape. The tape must come off, i used A LOT of goo gone and a hair dryer. Took about a half hour.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Default Re: Alex's 2005 Limited Coupe Build Thread

Fender done, looking good!

Here's a close up of the material, it looks really good in my opinion. Some will like it and some wont, it looks different though. I have a lot more to go and i seem to be averaging a panel a day. This wrap has micro perforations in it to allow air to escape, it makes air bubbles easy to get out. The bubbles you seen in the fender will come out after i let it sit overnight, at least they did with the hood.

HID's came it today as well, i will install those when i get the front bumper off.

Not a bad two days work, more pics soon!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good - keep it up!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow keep it up I'd love to see the final product.. I think white is the second best color for these cars and your wrap should make an interesting look...

Or you could just Plastidip the whole thing..

Old 07-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Hat's off to you for taking this on. Are you able to match up the carbon fiber weave?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Forum Regular

Looks awesome, very different. Nice job!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 AM

Looks awesome!
I know what you are going through. I stripped and repainted my SRT6. I wanted a permanent solution so the wrapping was not my choice but for a year or two I guess this will look awesome! Post pics so we can see the beauty!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by rayth
Wow keep it up I'd love to see the final product.. I think white is the second best color for these cars and your wrap should make an interesting look...

Or you could just Plastidip the whole thing..
I thought about platidip, i don't want to have to worry about getting vinyl on my radiator though.

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Hat's off to you for taking this on. Are you able to match up the carbon fiber weave?
As long as you center the wrap decently on each piece it lines up pretty well, some parts will have opposite weave which looks just as good. ill get some pics later.

Originally Posted by FUBU
Looks awesome!
I know what you are going through. I stripped and repainted my SRT6. I wanted a permanent solution so the wrapping was not my choice but for a year or two I guess this will look awesome! Post pics so we can see the beauty!
Yea my paint sucks, too many rock chips and scratches. I don't have the resources to paint it right though and i don't have the cash to have someone else do it.

EDIT: After looking at all of the wrapped parts i find there are things i really don't like... Random small holes from the hard garage floor, dirt that the wind blew under the wrap...

I need a new environment, the garage is not going to work. I'm going to put down a tarp in my living room, and do it there. I need a soft carpeted surface and no wind. Everything needs to stay clean..... Not looking forward to re doing the hood and fender, but i wont let it look like crap.

Last edited by AlexRMC92; 07-11-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 AM

I can't see any pics...sounds nice though lol

Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My, you are an ambitious person aren't you?

I think it looks very cool. Keep it up!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice! I like it.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Received 889 Likes on 693 Posts

If you are as ambitious as this at work, you'll never be unemployed!
\

Old 07-11-2012, 12:23 PM

Where are you guys going to see the pics??? Maybe my work computer is blocking something? I see other pics though...hmmmm

Old 07-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Received 889 Likes on 693 Posts

I can see them, and I"m currently behind the company's firewall and internet spyware.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

It's a lot of work to go to a "plain" white from a gorgeous red, but whatever floats your boat. It will look different, for sure.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Goldwing
It's a lot of work to go to a "plain" white from a gorgeous red, but whatever floats your boat. It will look different, for sure.
its not plain white it white carbon fiber.

Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film Wrap

Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Forum Regular

looking forward to seeing 'finished' photos - currently looking very interesting (in a GOOD way!!)

Old 07-12-2012, 02:49 PM

well after a lot of thought i think i am going to scrap the wrap. Unfortunately i am a complete perfectionist and the small air bubbles that don't come out really, really annoy me. One of the biggest reasons I'm even doing this to my car is because of the rock chips and spider web cracks in the paint. I am going to have to spend at least another $300 in vinyl and i still may not like it after that.

But i am not completely giving up. I think I'm going to try plastidip. It appears to be a spray on wrap, and people claim it's durable. Just trying to pick a color, they are all matte.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I'm thinking white plastidip the whole car and black plastidip all of the silver pieces, emblems, and spoiler.

Last edited by AlexRMC92; 07-12-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by AlexRMC92
well after a lot of thought i think i am going to scrap the wrap. Unfortunately i am a complete perfectionist and the small air bubbles that don't come out really, really annoy me. One of the biggest reasons I'm even doing this to my car is because of the rock chips and spider web cracks in the paint. I am going to have to spend at least another $300 in vinyl and i still may not like it after that.

But i am not completely giving up. I think I'm going to try plastidip. It appears to be a spray on wrap, and people claim it's durable. Just trying to pick a color, they are all matte.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I'm thinking white plastidip the whole car and black plastidip all of the silver pieces, emblems, and spoiler.
Either you do it the real way:

repaint

OR

pay someone to do your platicwrap.

just my 0.02$

Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by FUBU
Either you do it the real way:

repaint

OR

pay someone to do your platicwrap.

just my 0.02$

The place that does wrapping here says that it's impossible for wrap to look flawless. They said it's a wrap not paint.

This is why i want to try plastidip, its paint on wrap.

like this, but im going to take off the body panels that i can and mask a lot better.

Last edited by AlexRMC92; 07-12-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Alex's 2005 Limited Coupe Build Thread