Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

battery issues

Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery issues

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...684-83104.html

I remember when i was learning about batteries I remember my instructor mentioning something about gunk around the terminals just wondering What do you guys think
Looks kinda like dried toothpaste to me
I also remember some one here talking about a white battery from merc is bad or something?

Old 12-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: battery issues

Originally Posted by Jackerman
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...684-83104.html

I remember when i was learning about batteries I remember my instructor mentioning something about gunk around the terminals just wondering What do you guys think
Looks kinda like dried toothpaste to me
I also remember some one here talking about a white battery from merc is bad or something?
That can be cleaned with paste baking soda mixed with water.
There is probably a leak of gases around the post, a new battery may be a good idea as that looks like the original.
If you buy a new battery keep the white container in the end of it, that stops spillage of acid onto your car and can save you headaches in the future. Also make sure there is a plug in the matching hole at the opposite end.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-14-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like calcium buildup. Wire brush, baking soda and water. Then pop the terminals off, apply vaseline or some sort of grease and put it all back together...

The white top merc battery is bad, its amazing yours still works. Especially with all that buildup... My next battery will be an optima yellow top.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
Looks like calcium buildup. Wire brush, baking soda and water. Then pop the terminals off, apply vaseline or some sort of grease and put it all back together...

The white top merc battery is bad, its amazing yours still works. Especially with all that buildup... My next battery will be an optima yellow top.
Those white Varta batteries are superb, but I guess you never had one from new.
I have one that was made when you were thirteen and it still worked fine when I took it out this past May. so much as you may not like it your experience is somewhat limited, but I too thought I knew everything at twenty one.

It is not calcium by the way.
Sulfuric acid and lead = lead sulphate.
(I looked it up again)

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-14-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Forum Regular

Well I have noticed the car seems to struggle when i have the lights on before i start the car at night
But thanks guys , the first I time I noticed it I used an old tooth brush to scrap the build up off and it just came back, so the white part is a container? Prolly get a new one when i get paid next week

Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 PM

deleted .... trying to do a linky to an old post from 180 that shows the white overflow container. Will try again
Edit: sorry cant do the linky. Maybe 180 can bring it in.
On another thought .... if you do a search for many of your quiestions, you probably could find answers. I know you may be part of the "drive through" generation and may have no patience for "searching", but try. In the meantime we will try to answer your questions, but sometimes it can be tiresome. Just sayin ...... Hang in there

Last edited by IBLUBYU; 12-14-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Those white Varta batteries are superb, but I guess you never had one from new.
I have one that was made when you were thirteen and it still worked fine when I took it out this past May. so much as you may not like it your experience is somewhat limited, but I too thought I knew everything at twenty one.

It is not calcium by the way.
Sulfuric acid and lead = lead sulphate.
(I looked it up again)
I was just going off of previous posts... The general consensus, from what I understood, was that they sucked. I now have the correct information. My experience is limited, my knowledge growing.... I do not pretend to know everything, I am only here to try and help. You obviously don't know me at all, that's ok though I'll sleep fine tonight.

And I'm sure you are correct, I never cared enough to research what, as much as how and how to get rid of it.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
deleted .... trying to do a linky to an old post from 180 that shows the white overflow container. Will try again
Edit: sorry cant do the linky. Maybe 180 can bring it in.
On another thought .... if you do a search for many of your quiestions, you probably could find answers. I know you may be part of the "drive through" generation and may have no patience for "searching", but try. In the meantime we will try to answer your questions, but sometimes it can be tiresome. Just sayin ...... Hang in there
I knew eventually I would get another person to answer my question with " use the search"
And I know I prolly could have found my answer by searching but ya know sometimes the forum goes a day or two without hardly any activity and just searching my answer would be boring communication is more fun then just reading my answer
I know your just tryin to help though

Old 12-14-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
I was just going off of previous posts... The general consensus, from what I understood, was that they sucked. I now have the correct information. My experience is limited, my knowledge growing.... I do not pretend to know everything, I am only here to try and help. You obviously don't know me at all, that's ok though I'll sleep fine tonight.

And I'm sure you are correct, I never cared enough to research what, as much as how and how to get rid of it.
I was not razzing you, just making the observation about the battery experience. The posts on here are positive across the board on Varta batteries, you are only seeing the posts about them failing five to eight years of use, which is to be expected.

When you get to my age you will realize that you knew **** all about anything at twenty one and even less when you're old.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Forum Regular

I was not razzing you, just making the observation about the battery experience. The posts on here are positive across the board on Varta batteries, you are only seeing the posts about them failing five to eight years of use, which is to be expected.

When you get to my age you will realize that you knew **** all about anything at twenty one and even less when you're old.
According to the reports when i got my xf the car was in an auction house for about a year , hopefully that 5-8 years limitation doesn't apply to me haha cause that means I'm in the middle..but I got triple A so if it goes one day I can have them jump me

Old 12-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackerman
Well I have noticed the car seems to struggle when i have the lights on before i start the car at night
But thanks guys , the first I time I noticed it I used an old tooth brush to scrap the build up off and it just came back, so the white part is a container? Prolly get a new one when i get paid next week
Although it was still going strong, I replaced my orig Varta last Spring with a battery from Advance Auto. I also bought those felt washers that go on the terminals and are supposed to reduce battery corrosion. Not sure if they work or if its marketing hype, but they were only a buck.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have these treated felt washers on all of my cars (with post terminals) and have had since 1977.

It works:

41741 - Battery Terminal Protection Kit - JS Products, Inc.

You can get the same thing at any auto parts store/Walmart.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM

No harm no foul. I think you are correct about the posts I saw.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Forum Regular

If you put petroleum jelly around the base of the terminals, it seals it. Cuts way back on the corrosion. JSYK.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by harbor
Although it was still going strong, I replaced my orig Varta last Spring with a battery from Advance Auto. I also bought those felt washers that go on the terminals and are supposed to reduce battery corrosion. Not sure if they work or if its marketing hype, but they were only a buck.
They work just fine, if you do have a leak they sacrifice themselves to the acid and will need to be replaced. The frequency of the replacement depends on the amount of acid or acid fumes they see.

You will notice that they fit tight against each post so that fumes go through them rather than past them.