Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Most depressing night of my life.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most depressing night of my life.

Hey guys,

I know you don't really know me all that well and I just introduced myself the other day on this forum. I got some new wheels and tires put on tonight and was going to take pictures in the morning to show everybody, but on my way home tonight a deer ran out in front of me and I hit it. Luckily I swerved to the right enough that it took out the side instead of the front. But still, I'm honestly the saddest I've been in my 19 years of life. Really hoping insurance can help me out a lot, thank God I full coverage..

Anyways,
Hope everyone is having a better evening than me.

Richie

Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Most depressing night of my life.

It will get better and will all work out!! keep your head up you'll be cruising the road in no time!!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Cool Re: Most depressing night of my life.

Same thing happen to me, deer ran into side of car, deer flipped over the top, Was repaired nicely, hope it works out good for you

Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 PM

Thank you guys. I really appreciate it. I'll still post a picture or two of the good side with the wheels and the damage.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RichieLyons
Thank you guys. I really appreciate it. I'll still post a picture or two of the good side with the wheels and the damage.
Sounds good!!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look on the bright side - it wasn't a moose!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those stinking "Bambi" impersonators can be so cute and cuddly until they start destroying your property.
Let's hope you can get it fixed fast, and back on the road before the weather really starts to get nice.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Most depressing night of my life.

Please remember if a deer gets in front of you::: steer STRAIGHT AND HIT THE BRAKES. DO NOT SWERVE.

Too many people swerve to hit an obstruction like a tree and end up dying. Dont swerve, its just a car and the side of the road is not soft like a deer. And do you wanna wreck and spare the deer?? Me, Kill em and get another car.

This has worked for me on two separate occasions, ran over one ( head) at about 70 and kept going. The last one was on a sunny day, he was on the side and darted at the last moment. I had my horn and lights on - splat.

Woody

Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
Dont swerve, its just a car and the side of the road is not soft like a deer.
that's a great quote right there

best of luck on the repairs!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They also say get off the brakes before impact to get the nose of the vehicle back up ... don't know that would help in our cars though...

How ironic.. wife sent email message to me at work.. "hit a deer this morning".. opted to try and stop instead of swerving.. Bumper cover damage and headlight lens cracked....in her Tahoe fortunately!

Last edited by Mrmiata; 03-05-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

About 20-25 years ago I took my kids shopping .....on the way home in the dark at 70mph in a Chrysler minivan suddenly there was a dead deer lying straight in front of me....just went straight over it instead of trying to swerve.....took off the top few inches of it . A mile or so down the road was the car that killed it . The van jumped up in the air a little . 20 miles later when I pulled in the garage.......a deer steak fell off the exhaust system.....blood and tissue were everywhere ......under /over.......took it to a carwash immediately.......but it took weeks to get rid of the smell.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
They also say get off the brakes before impact to get the nose of the vehicle back up ... don't know that would help in our cars though...

How ironic.. wife sent email message to me at work.. "hit a deer this morning".. opted to try and stop instead of swerving.. Bumper cover damage and headlight lens cracked....in her Tahoe fortunately!
I heard that it is better not to swerve and to hit the deer rather than swerve and hit a tree or something. The insurance company will say you were driving recklessly as there is no proof a deer was even involved. Your at fault in the accident. The same applies with dogs and cats.
Of course you may have trouble explaining to a police officer that you decided to hit the pedestrian so that the insurance company would not find you at fault. LOL

Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Well looks like we'll come out okay on this one.. $250 deductable.. drive through claim service..check cut at that time. Upgrading to Halo ring smoked headlights and color matched bumper cover will be under $500.. guessing should break about even with no rock chips/scratches in cover (someone also tapped it nose center and spidered the paint) and some pretty headlights for my labor to install..

Oh.. insurance agent assured us no rate increase.. 4 cars and 3 street bikes they get enough already..

And life goes on.. LOL

Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM

The car was sent to the shop this morning and I'm now driving a 2012 Ford Fusion for the time being. It's definitely no Crossfire. When I hit the deer I was actually on a four lane highway and it was late with no traffic. If I hadn't swerved the to the right I would've hit the deer head on and probably would've had a totaled car. By swerving I avoided that, but if you were to swerve on a one lane road then of course keep it straight, just depends on the situation.

Anyways, I've got some pictures of the car and a few shots of the new wheels.
The repair shop said I should have it back in a couple weeks.

Richie

Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM

They didn't show up for me so here is the link to the album: CrossfireForum.org - RichieLyons's Album: New wheels and damage from deer.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch!
I do like those wheels - I've been considering something like that. Not sure how well they'd work on a graphite though. Looks good on a black car. Maybe if I did the side strakes & door handles in black too to tie it all together. Hmmm....

Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 PM

Do it man, they'd look good. I'm going to go ahead and black out my hood and try to tint the tail lights. I'm going to leave the Chrysler wings chrome to go with the lips though.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:29 PM

Grill, not hood. The hoods already black. Hahah.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Well looks like we'll come out okay on this one.. $250 deductable.. drive through claim service..check cut at that time. Upgrading to Halo ring smoked headlights and color matched bumper cover will be under $500.. guessing should break about even with no rock chips/scratches in cover (someone also tapped it nose center and spidered the paint) and some pretty headlights for my labor to install..

Oh.. insurance agent assured us no rate increase.. 4 cars and 3 street bikes they get enough already..

And life goes on.. LOL
Insurance adjuster came out today.. wife deposited a check for $1402.59... I'm going to make 45/hour for install of parts..that gives me about 20 hours to complete... LOL. And she can't wait to get smoked halo eyes headlights..