Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Difference between base and limited

Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between base and limited

I have seen folks asking what is the difference between the base and limited models. Here is a link to the XF spec sheet. I found it interesting. FWIW.

http://www.majormotorshotrods.com/_d..._&_Limited.pdf

Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Difference between base and limited

Thanks, interesting. Glad I have an '04...covered all the basses.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Forum Regular

I'm not sure I understand your humor. Don't you mean bases?
Or does it have something to do with Rockbasses? I'm just curious.
Thanks.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by West Peterson
I'm not sure I understand your humor. Don't you mean bases?
Or does it have something to do with Rockbasses? I'm just curious.
Thanks.
Spelling police...sorry. Bases.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Forum Regular

Sorry. I was just wondering if it had something to do with Rockbasses.

In regards to the differences between base and limited, I much prefer the base because most of the features of the limited I don't want or care for. Everything about the limited that I do like, I have easily installed, such as leather seats, fog lights, and garage door opener. In addition, I put on SRT wheels. The only thing about the base I don't like is the Jeep-origin manual gearbox. I like manual gearboxes, but the truck unit is not representative for this class of vehicle. If I were to do it over again, I'd opt for an SRT-6 or an automatic (unfortunately, the base wasn't available with an auto).

Last edited by West Peterson; 03-29-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts

In regards to the differences between base and limited, I much prefer the base because most of the features of the limited I don't want or care for. Everything about the limited that I do like, I have easily installed, such as leather seats, fog lights, and garage door opener. In addition, I put on SRT wheels. The only thing about the base I don't like is the Jeep-origin manual gearbox. I like manual gearboxes, but the truck unit is not representative for this class of vehicle.
That just does not make financial sense, surely it would have been cheaper to modify a Limited model into the Base model that you like. You could have swapped the silver trim for the black trim for nothing. Base and Limited models go for about the same dollar.

As for the Jeep gearbox you would have thought that 4WD would have been an option. LOL

Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Forum Regular

That depends on how good of a shopper one is, I suspect. I got good deals on everything, including the 5-year-old car with just 7,000 miles on it. The fogs only cost $75 for the pair, and the like-new SRT wheels, with factory-new tires and caps, were just $300 for the whole set. I think the garage door opener was $30.
I've disliked the fake-looking bright painted windshield surround ever since the first time I saw the car back in 2003 (or '04). My exact thought was, "Paint??? They used paint to simulate a chrome windshield surround??? That is cheap looking!"

Last edited by West Peterson; 03-29-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 AM

That depends on how good of a shopper one is, I suspect. I got good deals on everything, including the 5-year-old car with just 7,000 miles on it. The fogs only cost $75 for the pair, and the like-new SRT wheels, with factory-new tires and caps, were just $300 for the whole set. I think the garage door opener was $30.
I've disliked the fake-looking bright painted windshield surround ever since the first time I saw the car back in 2003 (or '04). My exact thought was, "Paint??? They used paint to simulate a chrome windshield surround??? That is cheap looking!"
You have to figure in initial costs of course,and if you get a deal it's OK.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Banned

IMO, they weren't looking for the chrome look. paint was used to tie in the rims, handles, strakes. I like the look. FWIW.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:41 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In regards to the differences between base and limited, I much prefer the base because most of the features of the limited I don't want or care for. Everything about the limited that I do like, I have easily installed, such as leather seats, fog lights, and garage door opener. In addition, I put on SRT wheels. The only thing about the base I don't like is the Jeep-origin manual gearbox. I like manual gearboxes, but the truck unit is not representative for this class of vehicle. If I were to do it over again, I'd opt for an SRT-6 or an automatic (unfortunately, the base wasn't available with an auto).
Hmm. Leather, power seats, day night mirror, fog lights, better stereo, automatic, built in garage remote linkages already included and you'd opt to go with a base and upgrade.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PNA
Hmm. Leather, power seats, day night mirror, fog lights, better stereo, automatic, built in garage remote linkages already included and you'd opt to go with a base and upgrade.
Yes. Don't need or want power seats, or day/night mirror, and I don't like the fakey-do painted windshield surround, strakes, and door handles (just identifying the elephant in the room). All that stuff adds to the cost both in initial purchase price, and in fixing it when (not if) it brakes. The base stereo is fine and the fogs and garage remote are easy installs. As I stated above, I'd probably opt for the automatic (if it were available in the base), because the Jeep six-speed is very clunky in an otherwise refined sports car. Given that I'd have to go to Limited to get an automatic, I would probably opt for the SRT instead, and "dumb it down" by painting the windshield surround, door handles and strakes.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I found it interesting. FWIW.
Thanks for posting...added the PDF to my Crossfire library!

Old 03-29-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by tonygg
Thanks for posting...added the PDF to my Crossfire library!
You do not read the Documentation thread to much do you? It has been available there for years. Lots more stuff as well.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You do not read the Documentation thread to much do you? It has been available there for years. Lots more stuff as well.
Turns out I had the document already in my files, among many others...

Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 PM

Yes. Don't need or want power seats, or day/night mirror, and I don't like the fakey-do painted windshield surround, strakes, and door handles (just identifying the elephant in the room). All that stuff adds to the cost both in initial purchase price, and in fixing it when (not if) it brakes. The base stereo is fine and the fogs and garage remote are easy installs. As I stated above, I'd probably opt for the automatic (if it were available in the base), because the Jeep six-speed is very clunky in an otherwise refined sports car. Given that I'd have to go to Limited to get an automatic, I would probably opt for the SRT instead, and "dumb it down" by painting the windshield surround, door handles and strakes.
The so called Jeep six speed is a Mercedes gearbox (Chrysler #NSG370), you never took the hint from my first post.
Jeep started using the gearbox in 2004 (5?) they got it from Mercedes.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-29-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The so called Jeep six speed is a Mercedes gearbox NSG370, you never took the hint from my first post.
Jeep started using the gearbox in 2004 (5?) they got it from Mercedes.
I know it was a Merceds gearbox. In which Mercedes was it used besides the 2004 ML, which is also a truck. My point is that it's a clunky gearbox and the only place it appeared was in the Jeep and some MLs.

Last edited by West Peterson; 03-29-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 PM

I know it was a Merceds gearbox. In which Mercedes was it used?
You kept calling it a Jeep gearbox, I really do not know what Mercedes models it was used in, it's irrelevant, I'd guess a lot.

Now you know it was a Mercedes gearbox, so it can't be a Jeep, but it can be a Mercedes designed gearbox that is also used in a Jeep. Just like the Mercedes designed NAG1 (5 speed) auto gearbox that versions of are used in the Crossfire and the Chrysler 300.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-29-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Forum Regular

The reason I call it a Jeep gearbox, is that is where most of them appear. I'd be willing to bet that not many MLs were delivered with it, which is the only other vehicle that was equipped with it (aside from the Crossfire). It certainly wasn't developed for the Crossfire or the ML. Therefore, "Jeep gearbox."

Last edited by West Peterson; 03-29-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The reason I call it a Jeep gearbox, is that is where most of them appear. I'd be willing to bet that not many MLs were delivered with it, which is the only other vehicle that was equipped with it (aside from the Crossfire). It certainly wasn't developed for the Crossfire or the ML. Therefore, "Jeep gearbox."

West (
)

Old 03-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Wherever they sourced it, it is a crappy gearbox because of the crappy 1-2 shift. Otherwise it is a delightful 6 speed. And I like the limited package and only wish those cheap, penny-pinching D-G bums had included electrochromic inside and outside rear mirrors, like my Audis. Heck, they could have raised the price a hundred and this simple upgrade would have made it seem like a much more elegant vehicle.