Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Interested in Benz V8 swap in my '04 coupe

Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in Benz V8 swap in my '04 coupe

New to the forum, looks like a lot of good information here. I currenly am the proud owner of an extremely nice 2004 Crossfire coupe. I have been hearing a lot of rumors that it is possible to swap to the AMG 55 engine and I am on the hunt for a SUCCESFUL swap story. Wanna do some brain picking and make the transition as painless and seamless as possible. I love my car and don't want it stacked up in the back of the shop for months on end. I am an avid hot rod builder and have a healthy mechanical background so the work doesn't scare me...its the electronics I am concerned about. Thanks in advance for responses and wish me luck, I'm going to gather all my little pieces first as my car runs beautifully and I'm not in any real hurry. I want this done right and look, smell, feel, sound...everything like a factory install. I pride myself on some really clean swaps in the past and I want this to be a masterpiece

Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Interested in Benz V8 swap in my 04 coupe

Welcome to the family and best wishes! Stick or auto? Donor or build from scratch? When you are ready for Star DAS let me know, I can point you in an amazing direction. I'm doing.... or done the 5.0 mechanical swap, so a lot is different but I can help you with certain things just let me know!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 PM

Awesome...yeah in that area I know I'm going to be bummbling around. I REALLY wanna find the AMG 55 StupidCharged but hey I will deal with what I can get. I want to stay Benz as the engine SHOULD line up in the cradle without mods to either the engine or the car. The car is an 04 Base withe the 3.2 and the auto/selectshift. White withe the two tone red and black interior and is in pristine condition. Only mod to the car is a MagnaFlow that I put on it after initial purchase. I am a little scared of getting into the ECU and trying to get it to recognize that its a V8 Benz in a chassis that never was designed for such. I want FULL function, just as she sits now, just lots more HP

Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 PM

I know I am going to have to get the complete underhood wiring harness from the donor vehicle. Just don't want any crazy suprises and be half into the build and realise I can't get it done with this equipment

Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

The good news is it's an auto! That means the ECU work will be easy (relative term in this kind of case). There are 2 reasons I didnt want to go the 5.4L supercharged, 1 was that the cost is 5 figures if you do it all yourself even, the second being mine is a manual and it would be risky business getting into that mess of whether it would hold or not. Dont be too scared with the configuring of the ECU, there are great people who know the software inside and out (I am still learning). The one plus (other than extreme power) with the 5.4 compressor motor is the fact that you can get your stock key to work. No matter what way you go about the build it is possible! Some are harder and cost a lot more but it is able to be figured out. I am willing to talk to you about info if you want, PM me and I will shoot you my number. I'll pass it forward considering the help that I have gotten from quite a few people on this forum.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Received 203 Likes on 154 Posts

there a a few supercharged v8's here but there are only three that everything works and those three were built by Rudy, if you want it done right ,my advice is have rudy do it. read the two post below also search v8 crossfire. jim

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...light=rcompart

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...hlight=amx1397

Old 04-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Default Re: Interested in Benz V8 swap in my '04 coupe

Thanks for the heads up amx...will certainly look into that info. I do want the car fully functional and done right. I don't mind doing the physical labor part of coupling the engine and trans and the install and making everything look stock. I'm just not quite up to speed on the electronics and have no problem admitting that I'm not that versed in that area

Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 PM

Has anyone resolved the issue of starting with the key once the swap is done? I know you have to swap the ECU to the Mercedes Benz 55K and I'm. Seeing a lot of posts stating they are having trouble getting communication with the ignition switch and getting it to recognize a start sequence

Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Alabama Crossfire
Has anyone resolved the issue of starting with the key once the swap is done? I know you have to swap the ECU to the Mercedes Benz 55K and I'm. Seeing a lot of posts stating they are having trouble getting communication with the ignition switch and getting it to recognize a start sequence
as I said everything works on mine when I touched the key the same way when it was a V6 it starts, when as I said everything works from the key ignition to the doors. Jim

Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Where in Alabama are you located ?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Where in Alabama are you located ?
I'm in Mobile. Just getting geared up to build a nasty little Crossfire. Tired of listening to all those little buzz bombs running around.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:01 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

... I don't mind doing the physical labor part of coupling the engine and trans and the install and making everything look stock. I'm just not quite up to speed on the electronics and have no problem admitting that I'm not that versed in that area
I thought the same thing, So I let Paul and Rudy do the complete swap. A car is no good to me not running.
They improved with each build.
Each build had a different price.
Yes my origional key works.
The cruise does not work.

My Engine

Me, amx1397, MisterTaz

Old 04-06-2013, 01:13 PM

Great looking car Beaner. I'm not really wanting someone else to build me a car. I like knowing what goes into my hot rods and how to repair it in the likely event that something goes out. Also, don't really wann spend the cost of buying a new vehicle to have an 04 built. I can appreciate the budget that it would take to pay labor costs to have the car built but I can't justify the cost. Armed with GOOD information I know I can do the install and save the extra cost for other improvements to my little Crossfire. I'm also kicking around the idea of which engine to use a C 43 AMG, CL500, or 55 AMG. I just want something "different" and whatever is going to be the easiest to get the engine computer and the car to "talk"

Last edited by Alabama Crossfire; 04-06-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 PM

Beaner, have y'all investigated why the cruise doesn't work? Is it something in the programming or a faulty cruise unit? I know everyone jumps up and down and screams that the Xfire and the SLK320 are the same same if you strip the skin off. If that were the case the swap would be as straight forward as transplanting. Somewhere Chrysler got in the mix and muddled it up (in my opinion).

Old 04-06-2013, 04:49 PM

Beaner, have y'all investigated why the cruise doesn't work? Is it something in the programming or a faulty cruise unit? I know everyone jumps up and down and screams that the Xfire and the SLK320 are the same same if you strip the skin off. If that were the case the swap would be as straight forward as transplanting. Somewhere Chrysler got in the mix and muddled it up (in my opinion).
The cruise is not a priority but it was a nice feature.
As for the swap it is pretty strait forward But like anything else, once you dig into it yourself to save money then need someone else to finish, their price goes up making the cost same as if you were to get them to do it in the first place...
Since I am in a different country, the odds of me not getting the car started and having to trailer the car to Paul and Rudy (IF they would work on the car) was not worth the risk. I didnt want a garage queen/lawn ornament, I wanted something I could start and drive.

There is always the option of a corvette engine, they have stand alone systems so you can put it in anything, with lots of options for upgrades

Old 04-06-2013, 05:01 PM

Uuuuh..Corvette ::gag::, I think I just thew up a little. I'm not a GM fan at all. I give them their due but that would be a bit like everybody that puts a 350 in a 32 Ford. Yeah its cheap and it'll work but its just not the same. I truly believe that with some determination and research I can get the whole thing running and functioning properly. I'm just gonna have to spen a lot of time picking peoples brains and reading wiring diagrams, which that's cool I don't mind. Where did you have your car built? You stated that you are in another country.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:45 PM

Uuuuh..Corvette ::gag::, I think I just thew up a little. I'm not a GM fan at all. Where did you have your car built? You stated that you are in another country.
I agree about GM, BTW I was born in Birmingham,, Lots of family in Gadsden Three cars ware built (turn key) by Rudy and Paul,, Accelerated industries,, 1 paul (Taz) has the yellow 2004 limited now a E55 supercharged V8
2 Beaner,, from Canada, has the silver blue, now a E55 supercharged v8,, and mine is
#3 2005 black srt6 now a sl55 supercharged,
it is not just changing the ecu. you have to know how to program it once the correct harness is installed, for example of one of the parts that you will never find is the exhaust manifolds, as they don't make any that fit on the engine and in the crossfire,,you can't cut the firewall because all your electronics are in the way. Rudy does not do this for fun he does it for money, but there is not a better place to spend a few bucks, I would like get another one done in a roadster, but my wife after driving a limited roadster, said no it is too fast as is. again if you want it done wright ,min time with trun key then send your car to Rudy and have it done,,,OH there is one other way, Buy mine $ 40,000.00 and i will get a roadster and have Rudy put me c63 engine in it.now that is a V8,, OH Rudy id the only person in the world that can install a c63 into a crossfire and make everything work. Jim

http://s264.photobucket.com/user/amx...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s264.photobucket.com/user/amx...y/engine%20bay

Last edited by amx1397; 04-06-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:53 PM

... I truly believe that with some determination and research I can get the whole thing running and functioning properly. I'm just gonna have to spen a lot of time picking peoples brains and reading wiring diagrams, which that's cool I don't mind. Where did you have your car built? You stated that you are in another country.
It has been figured out before and will be figured out again! If you have the time, git-er-dun.

Im in Ontario, Canada. At the time Paul, Rudy were in WI/MN
A 10 hour drive to drop my car off in October, Picked it up on Newyears day in MI. They were nice enough to drive the car a little over half way and make sure there is no issues. Best drive home I ever had.

Would have been a faster turn around time but I was in no rush and we had to make sure weather would be nice enough for the summer tires.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 PM

Ok I guess I'm gonna show my ignorance here and ask...what's the best engine to use for this swap? I want supercharged but its not an absolute have to have. I've seen the CL500 engine used the AMG 55 Kompressor and so on. I'm trying to narrow it down to year range and engine. I can get my hands on just about any of them from the AMG 32 up to the 55 Kompressor and everything between.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Why not just call Rudy and have a discussion with him. Rudy loves cars and will give all the info you want. He's only going to charge you if you want him to do it. You will not meet a nicer guy. He's one best support individuals on here and loves to help us all. PM me your info and I will forward it on. If you like or Rudy may just jump in here once he sees your post. Like it or not you will need his help. He's that good. And I am an old Chevy guy. Lol.

Quick Reply: Interested in Benz V8 swap in my '04 coupe