Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Help finding detailing product

Old 06-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Help finding detailing product

Good afternoon everyone!

I have been faithfully using CD2 engine detailer for years and years with excellent results. When my last can ran out, just before the upcoming car show, I went to the local autozone to buy some more - nothing. I then called several other stores around the area - nothing. I then went online and searched for a few minutes, and although it brought back a few results, upon further investigation, none of them were actually in stock. I can not find anything, and have a feeling the product has been pulled due to environmental reasons or the company was bought/sold/bankrupt.

I am hoping there is some kind soul who would take a look next time they are in their local auto parts store and see if there is a can or two still hiding on the shelf. If anyone finds it and is willing to help, I will gladly buy as many as I can find, within reason, cover shipping, and make it worth their while

Below is a picture of how the can looks, and how it makes an engine bay look

Old 06-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Help finding detailing product

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Good afternoon everyone!

I have been faithfully using CD2 engine detailer for years and years with excellent results. When my last can ran out, just before the upcoming car show, I went to the local autozone to buy some more - nothing. I then called several other stores around the area - nothing. I then went online and searched for a few minutes, and although it brought back a few results, upon further investigation, none of them were actually in stock. I can not find anything, and have a feeling the product has been pulled due to environmental reasons or the company was bought/sold/bankrupt.

I am hoping there is some kind soul who would take a look next time they are in their local auto parts store and see if there is a can or two still hiding on the shelf. If anyone finds it and is willing to help, I will gladly buy as many as I can find, within reason, cover shipping, and make it worth their while

Below is a picture of how the can looks, and how it makes an engine bay look

Don't tell SparkieSRT6 as he just gave me a can last Saturday and he may want it back if that's the case. I guess I could sell it back to him.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00074440/k-G5061025?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc &utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gc lid=CIqtpu3q4bcCFZNj7AodKBkAAA

Gunk Engine Protectant

Old 06-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to the local autozone to buy some more - nothing. I then called several other stores around the area - nothing.
CD-2 Engine Detailer is one of many CD-2 products, distributed by Turtle Wax. It's seems to appear then disappear and much can be found on the internet about folks trying to find it. I purchased two cans from Autozone, just off Hwy#129 when leaving the Tail of the Dragon last Fall. Hopefully someone will see it on the shelf and gives us all a heads up where to purchase it. I would contact your local Autozone and ask if they can order it in for you, and if they can, purchase as many as you can afford!

Edit; I just remembered ordering from Corvette Central over a year ago for the same product.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....~Z5Z5Z50000050

I just ordered two cans and they told me they have 45 cans in stock

Last edited by user 8202; 06-13-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Don't tell SparkieSRT6 as he just gave me a can last Saturday and he may want it back if that's the case. I guess I could sell it back to him.
I'm okay for a couple more years..... bought a 'few" from the Autozone store in Niagara Falls NY last year. They had lots of them. I did an online search to see who had stock.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Absolutely the best product I've ever used on my engine
I'll look around the Chicago area for some but as I recall FP couldn't find any where he lives in the northwest suburbs of Chicago either

MINE after a CD-2 Detail

Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 PM

I use Adams In & Out spray, works great. If ordering it, use Crossfire in coupon code and get 10% off Detail Supplies In and Out Spray | Detailing a Car

Old 06-14-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Gunk Engine Protectant
Thank you, Max, but have you tried the stuff? I can't believe someone with an engine bay that looks like yours could have used this stuff, they should simply replace the G with a J, it would be more fitting. I like the CD-2 because it 'cures' onto the parts and what is left is easily wiped away for a satin looking finish, I tried a can of the gunk 'shine' and it is so greasy I had to throw the rag away. I tried the 303 and the Adam's, the Adam's was good, but not like the CD-2 IMHO.

Originally Posted by tonygg
I just ordered two cans and they told me they have 45 cans in stock
I already tried to have the local guy order it, they do not even have a part number in their system for it at my 3 local places, that is why I got worried. I have seen it out of stock many times, but never without a shelf tag or a part number that can be ordered.

Thank you for the help, ordering several of these now.

Everyone, thank you, I really appreciate the input and ideas. Everyone that is a detailer at heart is particular about the products they use, that is why most of us are so damn **** about our cars.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by acrispy1
I use Adams In & Out spray, works great. If ordering it, use Crossfire in coupon code and get 10% off Detail Supplies In and Out Spray | Detailing a Car
I will be grabbing some more Adam's detail spray once I run out of the new DFT spray I got.

Have you ever tried the DFT? It is what they use on EVERY car that goes through the Mecum auto auction. I bought a bottle when we were at the one a few weeks ago and have been pretty impressed with the depth of shine for a wipe on product...

Old 06-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Thank you, Max, but have you tried the stuff? I can't believe someone with an engine bay that looks like yours could have used this stuff, they should simply replace the G with a J, it would be more fitting. I like the CD-2 because it 'cures' onto the parts and what is left is easily wiped away for a satin looking finish, I tried a can of the gunk 'shine' and it is so greasy I had to throw the rag away. I tried the 303 and the Adam's, the Adam's was good, but not like the CD-2 IMHO.

I already tried to have the local guy order it, they do not even have a part number in their system for it at my 3 local places, that is why I got worried. I have seen it out of stock many times, but never without a shelf tag or a part number that can be ordered.

Thank you for the help, ordering several of these now.

Everyone, thank you, I really appreciate the input and ideas. Everyone that is a detailer at heart is particular about the products they use, that is why most of us are so damn **** about our cars.
I ordered a case ( 6 pack ) of CD2 from Amazon, they say it is on backorder and will ship when available.
We'll see ........

Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

Bought 2 cans of CD-2 just a week ago at an AutoZone in Hagerstown, MD. Stuff was plentiful on the shelf. Prepped the engine bay in my F-150 prior to going to Ford Nationals in Carlisle.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 AM

It must be a location based deal then because the shops I talked to around here made it sound like they would never see the stuff again.

Oh well, I have a half dozen coming from the link Tony posted above, thanks again!

Old 06-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well this guy on Ebay must think they stopped making it too, $25 for a can:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CD2-ENGINE-MOTOR-DETAILER-CLEANER-PROTECTANT-SHINE-BRIGHT-CAR-VEHICLE-/271223093020?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2627f71c&vxp=mtr
Amazon has it for $30 for a 6-pack:

CD-2 (45166-6PK) Engine Detailer - 12.5 oz., (Pack of 6) : Amazon.com : Automotive CD-2 (45166-6PK) Engine Detailer - 12.5 oz., (Pack of 6) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 06-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire

Temporarily out of stock.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

This stuff has been proven to cause cancer in rats when they are fed a steady diet of one can a day for three years. Mind you their fur was really shiny when they died.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by VALK

Temporarily out of stock.
been there, done that : see post #10 .......

Old 11-19-2013, 11:07 PM

I bought three cans at a Big Lots today...

Old 11-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
http://www.zorotools.com/g/00074440/k-G5061025?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc &utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gc lid=CIqtpu3q4bcCFZNj7AodKBkAAA

Gunk Engine Protectant
Do not buy Gunk it doesn't come out, last 2 days then its just streaks left. I go off road once a month and I like a clean engine, that garbage does not do the job I highly DO NOT recommend it.