Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Need Help_ Crossfire Non-srt Top Speed Proof?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Need Help_ Crossfire Non-srt Top Speed Proof?

I think that I might me able to sneak past that 180 mark. I have mostly standard stuff, ie, NW DCAI, manifolds, iso kit EC 181 pulley, supercooler, colder plugs, Inmotion tune with the limiter deleted, Johnson pump, SL55 fuel pump, a mod to increase cooling and a few non-standard things involving the cams and crankshaft. No details, just some stuff I picked up building go-fast Mopars in the 60s and something I discovered being around F4-Js in the Navy. That being said, I have neither the desire nor the nerve to attempt it. I have almost as much sense as I do HP, it comes with age. LOL

Last edited by JEFASOLD; 07-23-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From the Crossfire forum archives .

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...5-150-mph.html

Old 07-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
...a few non-standard things involving the cams and crankshaft. No details, just some stuff I picked up building go-fast Mopars in the 60s and something I discovered being around F4-Js in the Navy.
LMAO I don't care if you have a rocket in the back, I am pretty sure they are gear limited at that point.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have read about 100+ of these top speed threads...

Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, it is what it is. I have seen 160 on several occasions in both cars. The coupe just saw 165 in a mile run....a few weeks ago, just after the half mile event. I think the car is capable of 180, but I do think you would need no less than a mile and half if not further to pull it off. The car is stable as can be at 160 as I lane changed at that speed no problem. The problem is finding a safe place to do it. I was in IL on a lonely straight road I was familiar with. Did a data log run for the 1 mile to see what she looked like. Just wasn't going any further where there would be crossroads. No crossroads, no houses, just straight road. And a lot of wind. So, who knows on calm day, straight smooth road, what she would really do in a mile. But, having been humbled by the GTR's, 214 in a half mile, I'm thinking sell both my cars and buy a stock GTR...lol.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
, I'm thinking sell both my cars and buy a stock GTR...lol.
Spread that BS somewhere else and see what grows..

We all own our Crossfires because we have a love affair with them. If speed was priority one.. Rumor has it the new vette coming out is faster than previous and gets 30 MPG..

I enjoy "our vette".. 300+ HP.. but loved driving the crossfire today..

Old 07-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it is what it is. I have seen 160 on several occasions in both cars. The coupe just saw 165 in a mile run....a few weeks ago, just after the half mile event. I think the car is capable of 180, but I do think you would need no less than a mile and half if not further to pull it off. The car is stable as can be at 160 as I lane changed at that speed no problem. The problem is finding a safe place to do it. I was in IL on a lonely straight road I was familiar with. Did a data log run for the 1 mile to see what she looked like. Just wasn't going any further where there would be crossroads. No crossroads, no houses, just straight road. And a lot of wind. So, who knows on calm day, straight smooth road, what she would really do in a mile. But, having been humbled by the GTR's, 214 in a half mile, I'm thinking sell both my cars and buy a stock GTR...lol.
Doc I remember a thread calculating the possible top speed for SRT6 as 176 mph due to gearing. max rpm times rear gear times top gear times monkey spunk apparently = 178 for my car :/ That last 10mph could take some time and distance.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
Doc I remember a thread calculating the possible top speed for SRT6 as 176 mph due to gearing. max rpm times rear gear times top gear times monkey spunk apparently = 178 for my car :/ That last 10mph could take some time and distance.
I totally agree....the only way to over come the being "gear bound" is HP/more rpms... I think the calcs were 186 though....5th gear at 6200 rpms... but, not sure you would get the 6200 rpms, with wind and other factors coming into play at those speeds...GTR's turn nice high R's....

Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Spread that BS somewhere else and see what grows..

We all own our Crossfires because we have a love affair with them. If speed was priority one.. Rumor has it the new vette coming out is faster than previous and gets 30 MPG..

I enjoy "our vette".. 300+ HP.. but loved driving the crossfire today..
Chevy better gear up, as they won't touch the GTR's sorry to say. There were 1200 hp vettes at that event, reaching 180 in the half mile. C7 were in the 160's... and a few older one's like yours. 150s and they weren't stock either. Lambo's 160s as I remember... I love my cars, but I did become a fan of the GTR's...

Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I totally agree....the only way to over come the being "gear bound" is HP/more rpms... I think the calcs were 186 though....5th gear at 6200 rpms... but, not sure you would get the 6200 rpms, with wind and other factors coming into play at those speeds...GTR's turn nice high R's....
You may be right, It was many many drinks ago and I just can't remember the exact number