Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

fogging issue

Old 12-14-2004, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry fogging issue

Just int the last couple of days it has gotten cold enough here during the day to go below freezing. So yesterday, when I started the xfire after work and proceeded to head home my windows started fogging up BIG TIME. I tried everything under the sun to make it clear off. I put the selector on defrost( with a/c on), closed center and side vents and turned the fan up to 5.
It started clearing a little from below but the windshield never defogged completely. I even tried opening the windows for awhile. Finbally I turned down the temperature to just between the blue and red and it cleared it a little more. But forget about the side windows!
Today I started out turning the fan off for a bit and then to low. It worked on the windshield but the side windows fogged up majorly again.
I've noticed in summer that I always have to leave the a/c on otherwise it fogged up then too. Really too bad, I had intended to drive my X-fire thru most of the winter but now it is impossible. I will have to switch to my Sebring Convertible.
Anybody have that problem too?
I thought that maybe some vent is clogged? Or is it just the nature of the beast with such a small cabin??

Old 12-14-2004, 05:56 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: fogging issue

turn OFF the "recirculation air" button....fresh air in the winter equals fog free windows. this will solve your problem....cheers!

Old 12-14-2004, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by andrew
turn off the recirculation air button....fresh air in the winter equals fog free windows.
Actually, I never use the recirculation air feature, not even in summer. ( then I have all the windows wide open ) I trie dwith or without a/c but it still doesn't work. What settings do you have on now?

Old 12-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chocoholic_too
Actually, I never use the recirculation air feature, not even in summer. ( then I have all the windows wide open ) I trie dwith or without a/c but it still doesn't work. What settings do you have on now?

a/c on...no recirculation...defrost/vent selection...on #1. i live in ohio as well...no problems here. it may be time for a trip to the dealer.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Forum Regular

Chocoholic_too:
Had same issue when I 1st bought the car, even during a lite rain it would fog up. When I 1st started it up in the morning, same thing. But it just stopped after about 2 weeks and haven't seen it since and I have been driving in mighty cold weather! Go figure!
Maybe some residual moisture in the system? Lets see if anyone else had the same issue.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Forum Regular

Well here in rainy old England it rains a lot and I've not had a single problem like this. A/C on should take all the moisture out the air for you.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:22 PM

Make sure the inside of the windows are cleaned with a glass cleaner. If not the glass will attract oils and other things in the air and moisture will attach.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if PORSCHEs' do that ?

Old 12-14-2004, 11:44 PM
DG

I think I have perfected (at least for me) a defogging procedure.

Vent set to defrost (12 oclock position)
Both sides to the highest heat setting
Usually close the upper vents using the dials on the side of them
Turn the fan to somewhere around 3-5
A/C on

This usually clears them off pretty quickly. Also, check to make sure that the side window vents are properly aimed. They are on the top of the dash near the A-pillar and, for some reason, can be rotated. In my opinion, they should be set and left alone, so this adjustment puzzles me.

Even with this setup, I sometimes get annoyed when the window fogs up. There is such a small amount of glass area on the car that when any of it fogs up, it becomes difficult to see.

Because of this, I bought something from Rain-X the last time I was in a hardware store that is supposed to stop interior glass surfaces from fogging. I am waiting until my car is in a garage overnight to apply it (when I go home for Christmas break). I'll be sure to let everyone know about my findings, and I would be happy to hear from anyone who has tried this stuff for any advice or application suggestions.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-15-2004, 12:26 AM
Forum Regular

Whatever you do, make sure that your class cleaner doesn't contain Amonia as it will quickly destroy the window tint.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy some of that Rain-X anti fog stuff, you rub it into your windows glass, then wipe it clean. No more fog.

Also fog is usually caused by moisture in the air, but when its cold, air can't hold moisture. As air heats up, it can hold more and more moisture. This is why blowing cold air will usually alleviate the problem.

If its wet and cold out, and you put on the heat, you might get the fogging effect. The moisture in your clothes will evaporate and get trapped in the hot air in your car. If it's just cold, theres really no moisture in the air, so you shouldn't have a fog problem, even with the heat on full blast.

I have a moisture problem in my basement, and in the winter its fine. In the summer I need the dehumidifier on high. All a dehumidifier does is chill the air so moisture condenses and falls in the bucket, then reheats it to room temp and blows it back out without the moisture.

I know none of this is a real solution to your problem but maybe it can help you figure out whats causing it. I'd say if you don't know the source of moisture, try blowing the AC until the fog disappears, then put on the heat. If it keeps reoccuring, it could be something with your car. Water in the vents? I dont know. But theres probably a moisture source somewhere.

Old 12-15-2004, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by NJspeed69
I'd say if you don't know the source of moisture, try blowing the AC until the fog disappears, then put on the heat. If it keeps reoccuring, it could be something with your car. Water in the vents? I dont know. But theres probably a moisture source somewhere.
The first time I had this severe problem I started out after the car had been sitting outside for a full day and I immediately turned up the defrost with a/c on full blast. The air at that point was still cold. That's when the windshield fogged up. Only after some warm air came out of the vent it started clearing it...but not very much. The next day I left the air cold and it was fine for a little bit but then when I turned it up a bit ( since it was quite cold 28 F!) then the fogging came back. I really don't want to be frozen by the time I get home...oh but I did have the heated seat on.

As for the rain-ex, I still have some in my garage from a few years ago when I tried it on my Sebring. Got terrible results with that. It made the grime on the windshield only worse. But maybe i just used too much.

Anyway I'm gonna try some of those suggestions again this weekend. Maybe i just missed something.