Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Canbus and lights questions

Old 08-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Canbus and lights questions

Our Crossfire's use the Canbus system to warn of a light out, so when people replace bulbs with LED's you either have to use a resistor or a "Canbus Friendly" LED to keep the light on the dash from warning of a light out? Am I right so far? So a "Canbus friendly" LED pretty much bypasses the Canbus system to 'shut it up' and if the LED stops functioning you would never know it by the dash light, but only by looking at the LED that should be on?

I'm wanting to add LED's and Possible HID's but can we really trust these if we have no way to know if they stop functioning except by walking around the car and observing the lights? Are there any LED's that actually work with Canbus to show if it stops functioning?

Is there a brand of LED lights that actually have a long dependable life?

Old 08-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Canbus and lights questions

For the Crossfires,

License plate bulbs does not matter. So I used Sylvania/OSRAM bulbs that are $10 each. They are sealed, provides the best protection against moisture. You put them in, you just don't need to worry about them.
Amazon.com: Sylvania 6418 LEDriving Premium White Interior Light Bulb, (Pack of 1): Automotive Amazon.com: Sylvania 6418 LEDriving Premium White Interior Light Bulb, (Pack of 1): Automotive

There are various "canbus" LEDs that'll work with the Crossfire. I usually hunt them down on Ebay. Most of them works good without too high of a price tag. I have tested numerous LEDs that fits and doesn't trigger the "bulb out" warning ranging from $5 - $55 each set. If you buy those cheap ones from Ebay, just HAVE to make sure your headlight/taillight housing is sealed good, then they'll last you a long time. The link below has the seller info from ebay, I've bought couple from them. Despite they are not that high of a price, their customer support was good, they replace warranty claims quickly.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/epanda_house...p2047675.l2559

HID, I recommend using TRS(The Retrofit Source)'s Morimoto 3Five. They produces a high output if you stick with 4300K - 5000K bulb. Their "canbus" adapter is sealed, and works very well. You will need a set of those adapters. I have tried other "canbus" adapters from ebay and they don't seal them right and will always fail.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid...l#.U90_j1YsKIw

I usually don't recommend using LED in turning signals. Just counter productive really if all you want to do is just stick a bulb in and expect to work. If you're interested in further modifying the housing, pigtails, then they maybe right for you.

I also don't recommend using HIDs in high beams, can't flash people anymore due to the latency of "firing"(ignite) the bulb.

Last edited by kuratsunade; 08-02-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:35 PM

*Also to your question, yes, you're on the right track.

The "canbus" is nothing but a capacitor or resistor that will hold the amperage there to make the sensor/computer "think" the bulb is using the right voltage/amperage/wattage.

And this applies to both HID and LED.

If the LED fails, (which had happened to my SLK), it had displayed a bulb out warning, and the bulb would start flashing. Same thing had happened to the HID when the bulb didn't have the good/constant contact to the ballast.

The following users liked this post:
Sjd (09-23-2023)
Old 08-02-2014, 09:43 PM

Thanks, Kuratsunade, that's some great info and links. One question.. So your saying if a canbus friendly LED burns out, it shows on the dash like the regular bulb would have done or is the circuit just bypassed to keep the error light on the dash off? I'm really hoping the dash will still report a failed LED bulb.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Danwell
Thanks, Kuratsunade, that's some great info and links. One question.. So your saying if a canbus friendly LED burns out, it shows on the dash like the regular bulb would have done or is the circuit just bypassed to keep the error light on the dash off? I'm really hoping the dash will still report a failed LED bulb.

Thanks again for your help.
As far as I have encountered,

My failed LED did trigger the bulb-out warning, as well as the HID that I had issue back then.

The only ones that will not trigger the bulb out warning on Crossfire exterior is the license plate bulb. Interior bulbs will not trigger neither.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:26 PM

Cool, thanks. I'm glad the important ones will trigger the light on the dash for safety. I would hate to have to continually check the lights manually or it wouldn't be worth it going LED. Thanks

Old 08-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most LEDs will have a very long life, they don't generate the heat that a filament type bulb does. However, I just put LEDs in the taillights and the side markers, all supposed to be compatible with Canbus but I found something is generating the exterior light out signal, so I want to find out which is doing it. I really like the look of the LEDs.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:37 PM

Thanks Jefasold, Be sure to let us know the reason of the light out signal when you find it.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Danwell
Cool, thanks. I'm glad the important ones will trigger the light on the dash for safety. I would hate to have to continually check the lights manually or it wouldn't be worth it going LED. Thanks
LOL.. how did we ever manage before these wonders of "light out" on a car..

Oh wait.. we checked them every now and then.. Right there with making sure your tires had air.. LOL

Old 08-03-2014, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
LOL.. how did we ever manage before these wonders of "light out" on a car..

Oh wait.. we checked them every now and then.. Right there with making sure your tires had air.. LOL

True True, now cars even tell us of low air pressure in tires, lol. Its amazing what lights can tell us. Time to gas up. Hey the car in front of you is turning. Oh crap, time to pull over and get a ticket.... heh heh.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:03 AM

Kuratsunade thanks for information I have a question in my Crossfire the light out sensor comes on as soon as I start the car the lights are not even on. the only 2 lights on my dash are TPS and Light out sensor have any idea what this could be ?? I had read that the lights should be on or the brake light applied if that yellow light comes on if the bulb is out ?? I think I will have to remove dash light to pass inspection for this work for me