Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

6 speed hard to drive or me?

Old 02-24-2015, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed hard to drive or me?

I bought a 6 speed crossfire and have had it about 2 months ago and it seems very difficult to drive. This is the first manual I've owned in 2 years and the last one I owned I only had for a couple months and I recall it being much easier to drive. I also haven't had the opportunity to drive other manuals but mine feels so difficult to get a smooth quick shift in. Its not so bad when I get up to 4th 5th and 6th or even 3rd but 1st and 2nd are especially hard for me to shift. Its also clunky but I've heard that's common. Is it just me or is it difficult to drive?

Old 02-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: 6 speed hard to drive or me?

The MB manual tranny used in the XFire is not world-renowned for smooth shifts, particularly 1st to 2nd, so it's the trans, not you.
Try replacing the tranny fluid with 5W-20 syn engine oil and see if that helps. Think there was an early TSB on early XFire trannys for popping out of gear and rough getting into reverse, but good luck finding a dealer that will know how to do it.
Do a search on "manual transmission fluid" and you'll see that you're not the Lone Ranger in terms of rough shifting issues. Here's one of many....
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...smission+fluid

Old 02-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that the 1st to 2nd shift is a problem. It is not smooth and first gear is so low that the shift happens very quickly especially if you are lead footing it. For mild driving I usually start in 2nd as a very flexible gear to start off. The motor has very good low end torque thus allowing a 2nd gear start and is NOT a rev monster. I find all other shifts fairly easy. However note that my previous ride was a Mazda6 3.0L 5 speed. That transmission was the most unfriendly manual shift I have driven. But the car made up for is by is outstanding driving dynamics for a 4 door sedan with good power.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Forum Regular

I just drove my buddy's 1980 911 Porsche to the coast and hated it, the most unfriendly first gear I ever encountered. I have two six speed xfires and love both of them. First is agreeably low, but on a quick stop, I usually just start out in second. The throw is tight, smooth and short, I truly enjoy it. If you are having trouble hitting third, you are probably trying to move the shifter over, just let it pop over when you move up from second. Once you find out where the clutch is engaging, it's really a smooth shifting car and you shouldn't have any trouble keeping all shifts smooth without jerks.

At least that is how I feel.

Dave

Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just have to be alittle more aggressive shifting in the 6 speed, I love mine.
From a stand I still prefer starting in 1st, but shift into 2nd no more than 3500 rpm.
3000 to 3500 is a sweet spot in mine and catches a good Power band in 2nd gear.
I still much rather have a XFIRE with this 6 spd than a auto.
Just need to be more aggressive shifting with this transmission.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:24 PM
Administrator
Received 886 Likes on 690 Posts

You have received lots of good advice, here is my input:

Mine shifts fine. But mine has 113,000 on it.
What these cars need is some MILES on them!

Old 02-24-2015, 11:33 PM

I will say that i love my crossfire and with a small sporty car like ours i HAD to have the manual i just do a considerable amount of stop and go and at first thought it was me but starting out drove me crazy, its like an itch i cant scratch now. I guess i can just try and start off in second. I always thought starting in second was a bit of a challenge but if i can master that i think i can go back to enjoying my crossfire

Mine has 81,000 just most were not by me

Last edited by mr.crossfire; 02-24-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.crossfire
I will say that i love my crossfire and with a small sporty car like ours i HAD to have the manual i just do a considerable amount of stop and go and at first thought it was me but starting out drove me crazy, its like an itch i cant scratch now. I guess i can just try and start off in second. I always thought starting in second was a bit of a challenge but if i can master that i think i can go back to enjoying my crossfire

Mine has 81,000 just most were not by me

I have had many a stick shift. prefer them. The crossie is a bit stiff, first to second. It does get better with miles.

I short throw mine with thumb and forefinger on the boot. It goes where you want it with relative ease.

One improvement you might consider is a sprint Booster. It is not related to the tranny but makes the throttle more responsive. Made all the difference for me in how the car shifts and handles the clutch. These cars should have come with them from the factory.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:26 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Unless in my driveway or stop n go traffic or a mall I usually avoid first, it is a true granny. My GTO has a wide ratio Muncie with a 2.52 first. XF second is 2.61. First is 4.46 which is abbysurd. So I have a choice: eitther shift firmly and bark the tires, or granny shift and let the revs drop first, or just start in 2nd. Is there another way ?

Old 02-26-2015, 05:10 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

My roadster was always notchy from 1-2. I replaced the tranny fluid a couple years ago with no improvement. Last summer it stopped going into 1 and 2 completely. Took it to my indie shop and they found the shift linkage cable had become partially disengaged. They refastened it, wrapped it with a tie-rap, AND adjusted the linkage. A miracle - the car shifts very well from 1-2, although not as smoothly as my Audis. There is an adjustment instruction in the shop manual that is available from this forum.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Gearbox is fine, shifter is fine, it is the first gear ratio that is silly. You do not have to use the throttle at all, just let the clutch out it is soooo loooow and winds really fast. The problem is that if you wind it out to six grand (32 mph) and shift swiftly to second, the drop is 2500 rpm. That is A Lot and will shock the drive train.

Frankly when Autocrossing my 78 Sunbird I used to start in 2nd also and it had a 2.98:1 low (was faster). Heck Vegas had a 3.11:1 low and that was a 4 cyl.

Only reason a 4.46:1 low makes any sense is that it is also used in the Jeep Wrangler to go up the side of a cliff slowly.

Best way to look at it is you have a five speed with direct 4th and OD 5th plus a granny to use if pulling a heavy trailer.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have to keep the revs up between shifts......do not completely let off the gas between shifts.