Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

highest possible gloss wax

Old 12-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default highest possible gloss wax

Hey guys
Is there a concesous that McGuires is the alph and omega of waxes/polishes?
and what is the least expensive best machine polisher non dual action you guys would recommend
thanx

Old 12-08-2015, 11:22 PM
GTW
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: highest possible gloss wax

I use a Meguiars 3 step process. First pass using Meguiars Cleaner, second pass using Megs polish, third pass with Megs wax. I have a Craftsman random orbital buffer that uses the same 19.2 volt rechargeable battery that I use on my circular saw. I love it.....no cord & plenty of power. Buy the terry cloth & microfiber bonnets from Autogeek online. I apply each step using the buffer with a clean terry cloth bonnet, then remove by hand with a clean terry cloth towel. Finish up with a microfiber buff. Each step gets easier as the surface gets slicker.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:23 AM

Thank you GTW, I will report back to you once I apply

Old 12-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by GTW
I use a Meguiars 3 step process. First pass using Meguiars Cleaner, second pass using Megs polish, third pass with Megs wax. I have a Craftsman random orbital buffer that uses the same 19.2 volt rechargeable battery that I use on my circular saw. I love it.....no cord & plenty of power. Buy the terry cloth & microfiber bonnets from Autogeek online. I apply each step using the buffer with a clean terry cloth bonnet, then remove by hand with a clean terry cloth towel. Finish up with a microfiber buff. Each step gets easier as the surface gets slicker.
Looking back on earlier threads by an expert from Meguiars (Mike) I would not be using Terry cloth or micro fiber bonnets.
The best material to use is the various grades of foam heads. Terry cloth applies too much heat to the paint and you could really mess up the car.
It's your car so do whatever you want, but be careful out there.

I would start the process using a clay bar though.
Look for posts by MikeInOrange, he has not been around lately so people might be sliding to other brands now, he had a loyal following at one time.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see where Barrett-Jackson advertises a proprietary brand high end line of car care products, which I have not tried yet. I do use Meguiars but Mothers makes a good product as do several others. I suspect the care with which the product is used is the most important aspect.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
I see where Barrett-Jackson advertises a proprietary brand high end line of car care products, which I have not tried yet. I do use Meguiars but Mothers makes a good product as do several others. I suspect the care with which the product is used is the most important aspect.
That is true, get rid of swirls and dead clear coat and then go to work with due care and attention.
Terry cloth? No way Jose.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:31 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I may be insaneo, but I like Zaino

Old 12-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, you are insaneo, all right...

I use all Meguiar's products. But, as others have said: it's a personal thing. I know how these products will perform.

And one other thing: NO TERRY CLOTH!

Join here and you will learn the proper way to use them too!

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/

From Mike-in-Orange himself.

Last edited by maxcichon; 12-10-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Looking back on earlier threads by an expert from Meguiars (Mike) I would not be using Terry cloth or micro fiber bonnets.
The best material to use is the various grades of foam heads. Terry cloth applies too much heat to the paint and you could really mess up the car.
It's your car so do whatever you want, but be careful out there.

I would start the process using a clay bar though.
Look for posts by MikeInOrange, he has not been around lately so people might be sliding to other brands now, he had a loyal following at one time.
Yeah, I thought I heard my name mentioned!!!

My fave wax, by a long shot, in our line up is our Ultimate Wax in paste form. But wax alone isn't the way to get super high gloss. Gloss comes from smoothness and flatness, so you want to remove above surface bonded contaminants with clay first, then remove below surface defects (swirls, fine scratches, etchings, etc) with a compound to level the paint, then use a finishing polish to refine the surface and enhance/maximize gloss, and then wax. I've worked on several Crossfires besides my own (I have two at home - 04 Coupe and 05 Roadster) and have found the paint generally pretty easy to work on as it tends to respond really well to machine polishing.

Speaking of machine polishing, while my primary recommendation for a really good, solid DA polisher is the Meguiar's MT300 I understand that not everyone is willing to invest $220 in such a tool. Harbor Freight actually makes a fairly decent DA polisher for around $60 - it's not quite as powerful as the MT300 nor as smooth in operation, but it's pretty darn good bang for the buck. My personal recommendation to really maximize gloss on these cars, regardless of paint color, is to do the initial cut with our microfiber cutting disc using our M100 Pro Speed Compound from our Pro Line, then swap to our yellow thin foam polishing disc with M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, and then top it all off with Ultimate Wax paste. There are some very specific technique points you need to follow here but it's very straight forward and incredibly safe even for a first time user. And the results are potentially stunning!

We used this same process, with a few twists depending on the car, last week at the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles just prior to their grand re-opening. We were filming for a new TV show coming out in the spring called Competition Ready (airing on Velocity starting April 22) and we detailed a 1925 Rolls Royce (Google "Round door Rolls" to see the car - it's amazing!), a 1935 Bugatti Type 57, a 1967 Ford GT40 (one owner car, never raced) and the one that really got me going - Steve McQueen's Jaguar XKSS. All four cars were a mess when we started and they all looked amazing when we finished. And they're all worth several million dollars apiece. So, yeah, I'd use a good DA polisher and the right pads and liquids on literally any car, regardless of value.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And there you go!

Old 12-10-2015, 04:32 PM

All of the respondants have been very helpful
Thank you!!

Old 12-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, Mike, the new show sounds like a NEED TO SEE!

Old 12-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I may be insaneo, but I like Zaino
ALA!! You crack me up !

Old 12-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For final finishing Duragloss " The Wet Look " 2 stage is what we use here.
It is very very good.

also use Black Wow on exterior plastics and rubber

Last edited by daveesrt6; 12-12-2015 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Lately I'm topping off my paint with Pinnacle Souveran paste wax. It doesn't last but it adds a depth to the shine that makes it worth it.

Les